Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Who uses GPS?

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  BigTime 
#1 ·
Was wondering who uses GPS units? Also what kind do you have, what options it has, the pros and cons to it and your overall rating of it. I am looking to get one and there are a lot out there. Any help would be great!

#3 ·
Yeah i was wondering the same thing,i been wanting on but not to sure with one will work.I have to pick on up before i go to the Mud Nats.

#5 ·

i have used the basic yellow Etrex for years and like it for what it is, but recently upgraded to the Etrex Vista CX to get mapping in my gps. i still use the yellow Etrex a lot, as i can work with it easier "on the go" and can upload tracks and waypoints into my computer to work with later.

monty

#7 ·
I agree, where was that pic taken? That is an unreal view..

#9 ·
that pic was taken up Emigrant Gulch in the Paradise Valley. it is about 30 miles from Yellowstone National Park, and 30 miles from Livingston, MT (my home). that trail is an old gold mine trail switchbacking up a rock slide. in the winter there is an avalanche every year and the first guy up it in the summer has to clean up a bunch of debris from the trail.

lat-long is 45*16'01"N, 110*41'28"W @ about 8000' elevation.

i have more pics somewhere, but i have just changed computers and gotta load'em here.

monty

G
#11 ·
I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. I use it for mapping out all the trails I ride on. Nice, somewhat easy unit. Simple operation and very portable. Works pretty good for riding cause it is water proof.
I also use it for my other sport of GeoCaching.

I dont know about other units cause this is the only one I have used or seen. It can be kinda slow on loading up. And sometimes it can be off on your position. But it easyily corrects itself, and I have only lost signal on a cloudy day amongst trees. So its not bad IMO

#13 ·
gps

My brother uses a gps on our lease. 618 acres which was mostly clear cut and planted in pines about 8 years ago. He found an aerial photo taken right after the cut was made which showed the old logging roads and trails. connected all these with Expert GPS program and now we have plenty of trails to ride into all parts of the lease. Very handy. Also works to show new riders and hunters like my wife wher all the hunting stands are.

G
#14 ·
i have a Magellan Sportrak GPS. IT IS AWESOME. easy to use and read. You can upload topo maps there are some highway maps already on it. Has all kinds of features speed is useful. Cheap too with either 6 or 8gb of built in memory. Some really nice mounts and brackets available online, and ac adapters. Perfect for atvs!

#15 ·
I have a Megallan Meridian Gold. Plus, it locks on satellites in heavy cover. It has expandable memory via a removeable SIM card. Good size screen and pretty easy to use. It creates tracks and very easy to manage waypoints. Negative. You have to search a bit for good software to map and print out trail maps. Quakemap for example. You still need the pricey Mapquest SW to load detailed topo maps. I got mine from overstock.som at a very god price. I have owned it for two years now, and abused it. I was in a head on accident and rolled the quad several times and the GPS and ram mount were fine. I am the most popular guy when riding new trails
:) The GPS along with a good topo map has made 30 mile treks into uncharted forest a breeze and worry free event.

#17 ·
i have a garmin gspmap 76, im not very good with it but everyone says its a really good one. i got it when i bought my first atv a 500 sportsman, the gps came with the bike, 3 months later i traded the 500 in for a750 brute

#18 ·
i use the cheap garmin etrex. it works great , has saved me many hours of driving around lost. why would you want to carry anything more exspensive on a 4 wheelin trip anyway?

#19 ·
i have a Garmin E-Map, its a little older but you can switch out memory cards for multiple areas. some of the newer ones have internal memory and cant hold as much info.

#20 ·
Just bought a new Bushnell Onix200!!! Cool little GPS it has TOPO, Aerial Pics and Sattelite Imagery.. Really nice unit you can actually see the trails and mud holes with the aerial and sat. imagery. no need for mapping anything out it is already there.. Kinda a tough unit to figure out but worth it to be able to see everything around you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.