Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could buy any new 4x4 utility quad currently in dealer showrooms, which one would it be?

At the moment the Grizzly 700 EFI with power steering looks appealing. The King Quad looks good, too.

I don't like the Bombardier's single-lever brake setup.
The Honda automatics sound kind of lame, but I haven't actually ridden one.
Polaris looks good, but they are huge and heavy. I'm a little put off by that, but I can't exactly explain why.

Yes, I know, it's blasphemous that I didn't pick a Kawie. However, I would really prefer EFI on a utility because I don't intend to go crazy with modifications. I just want the driveability benefits of EFI.

If I were going to buy a side-by-side, I would seriously consider the Arctic Cat 650H1. Not sure how it performs, but they look pretty killer and you can get them with 14" aluminum wheels right off the showroom floor. Pretty comfy and supportive seats, too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would have an 07 BF750 or I might even go with a Bomb 800, and strip off all the plastics and make my own set somehow since its the uglier than anything I have ever seen....
But my cousin recently purchased a Team Green 750 and it seems like all the issues were worked out as compared to my 05 model. Steering, handling, and everything was dead on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy Jay,
in reference to the side by sides, I can give a comparison between the Yamaha Rhino and the Arctic Cat Prowler as I use each one daily. First I will give the positives for each.

Rhino
better seats and riding position
more comfortable
handles better

Prowler
much quieter
uses less gas
built in suds cooler under the hood

Negatives for each

Rhino
Noisy engine
smaller bed

Prowler
harder entry and exit
much taller
difficult to change oil because of distance between oil plug and skid plate
rougher ride

Oh, well, that is just my take on the two of them. Others may feel differently about them. Have a goodun!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before I bought the KFX 700, I was really thinking about a 4x4. And the ones I ended up really liking were Suzuki's KingQuad and Yamaha's Grizzly 700 FI.

The features that really separated them from the rest, for me, was were how they handled their 4x4 systems. I don't like the idea of an "automatic" front locking differential. I like to put it in the mode I want it to be in, I like that control, and the KingQuad and Grizzlys had the best ones. And the Kawasaki Brute Force is weird with its 4x4, having to pull and extra lever to engage the locker. Then the lack of fuel injection didn't seem to help it. I knew that the Kawie was fast, but I'd rather have something that had the locker system like the Yamaha and the Suzuki.

They're big enough engines that they can keep up, they're not quite as heavy as some others. One thing that made me lean toward the Grizzly is how bullet-proof the Ultramatic transmission was said to be in EVERY review. I cannot honestly say how much it really is, but the clutch DOES look like it's made out of tank armor. I always thought the power-steering was an interesting bonus. It wasn't something I was looking for, when I looked, but when I saw how it worked, and how it was more of a try-to-help-the-rider-tame-the-Grizzly, I thought it was a wonderful benefit. And even if the power steering failed, it would simply revert back to the type of steering you'd have if the quad never HAD power-steering, which I saw a lot of worries about when I was reading people's thoughts.

I hope maybe I have given back a little for your question, Jay. :)

-Troy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. That pretty much reaffirms what I was thinking.

You really feel like the Prowler is hard to get in and out of? It doesn't seem bad to me. Then again, I'm somewhat tall (6'1") so that might play into it. I could see where stiffer suspension would wear you out if you're using it on the job site. It might actually be a good thing for playing around.

What makes the Rhino seats more comfortable? I need to go look at them again. Does the Rhino have taller seatbacks?

I also was surprised about the Grizz power steering. It's one of those things where the engineers were going for a "just right" amount of help. It's not there to be noticed and make you think "gee whiz this is neat", it just compensates for the extra steering effort inherent in a 4x4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hard to get into ???

now this ones hard to get into... :unibrow:

·
Registered
5 Posts
BTW... my choices on ATV, if price & dealerships were all equal would be

800 Renigade
650 Brute SRA
450 Woverine
750 Brute
800 Outlander
650 V Twin Artic Cat
700 Grizzly
650 I Brute
650 Rincon
800 Sportsman
700 King Quad
700 Artic Cat
650 Artic Cat

look at all these awesome machines... that have come about in the last 5-6 years... my little 300 Prairie was a decient machine back in 2001

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy Jay,
I also am 6' 1". The arm rest on the drivers seat of the Prowler pushes me into the steering wheel when I get out of it. I dont like the tallness of the seating arrangememt. The Rhino seats lean back more than the Prowler seats and to me are just more comfortable. I also am not a fan of the low skid plate under the Prowler. Our Rhino is almost 3 years old now and the clutches are slipping. I think with a new clutch that the Rhino could keep up with the Prowler. The Rhino is still much louder in the cab than the Prowler. The Rhino steers much better than the Prowler also. If you are on pavement the Prowler is really a hand full. Have a goodun!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy Jay,
the main thing wrong with that one is the name on it Polaris. It doesnt have a dump bed on it either and is really small compared to the Rhino and Prowler. I am not a fan of the Polaris 4 wheel drive system or the engine braking either. If you are going down a steep slope, the rear wheels will be the only ones braking and they will hop. I also dont think the Polaris engines are very durable or dependable. They may start out fast but they just dont last. I am also hearing rumors of a Kawasaki side X side that is supposedly coming out. I think it will have the V-twin engine too. Have a goodun!!!

R

·
0 Posts
I just purchased a big utility. I looked at all of them, except Polaris (another story). I ended up buying the '07 Brute 750. In my opinion, dollar for dollar, it is the best machine. The only negative on the Brute I could find was the lack of fuel injection. I have ridden several Can-Am 800s and Suzuki King Quads, the fuel injection is just not all its cracked up to be. I am guessing I don't ride over about 6000'. I have never had a carb related problem on the Brute. Don't let FI be the controling factor in your decision.

Just my $0.02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts