Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this sucks.... wife was riding her 08 750 down the road around 40mph and it started to lose power, she pulled over and it died. I checked the oil and it’s all gone... seals and plug are good, filter is good. Where the hell did it go??? Engine isn’t siezed i put oil in and it will run but knocks bad. I don’t know about the internals of these motors but know my way around the rest of it. Are the cylinder jugs and cylinders replaceable?

This was seriously sudden, no she wasn’t watching the gauge for low oil light or temp. I won’t start it anymore, just trying to figure out what will probably need to be done. I realize the internet can’t completely diagnose it without it being pulled apart. Sad because this is in great shape and i have brought it back to good in the last few years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Yeah that does suck. The red oil pressure light would have been on for quite a while before all that happened. Now she'll need a complete rebuild. The knocking will be rod bearings so don't try and run it anymore cause throwing one usually means a broken case. I suggest you contact nFLOW. Great people and all you will have to do is R&R the engine. Looking at just under 3K.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a local guy going to tear it down and rebuild. I’m guessing $2000. We shall see. And i agree about the red oil pressure light.

Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
REVZCYCLES HAS GOOD CRANK, PISTONS, AND JUG KITS.
SOUNDS LIKE THE PISTON RINGS ARE GONE ( BURNING OIL ) AND MAYBE A CRANK TOO.
MY 05 750 ALWAYS ATE OIL WITHOUT SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST, THEN ONE DAY OUT ON THE TRAIL SHE STARTED SMOKING AND I KNEW THAT THE RINGS WERE BEAT.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brass in the oil filter, rod bearings are shot.

I just purchased a 2019 BF 750 for my wife... should have it Thursday. Last one, got it for 6,999.

Looks basically like Kawi hasn't changed much over the years. Which is mostly good. I hate the diff lock lever.

Will need a winch and winch mount, hand guards, hitch, and heated grips. I am going to swap the wheels/tires over from the 08.

I do plan to serach for a used motor with 1000-2000 miles on it and put that in the 08 and use it for plowing/work horse. I have some 28" mega mayhems I will probably put on that bad boy.

Will post a pic of the new one when I bring it home Thursday. Wife should be surprised.... husband of the year award maybe?

·
Super Moderator
1,115 Posts
Brass in the oil filter, rod bearings are shot.

I just purchased a 2019 BF 750 for my wife... should have it Thursday. Last one, got it for 6,999.

Looks basically like Kawi hasn't changed much over the years. Which is mostly good. I hate the diff lock lever.

Will need a winch and winch mount, hand guards, hitch, and heated grips. I am going to swap the wheels/tires over from the 08.

I do plan to serach for a used motor with 1000-2000 miles on it and put that in the 08 and use it for plowing/work horse. I have some 28" mega mayhems I will probably put on that bad boy.

Will post a pic of the new one when I bring it home Thursday. Wife should be surprised.... husband of the year award maybe?
That's a shame about your '08. I had an '09 and now have a '17 (identical to the '19 from what I can tell). Your wife will love it. Mine does :)

Not a ton of changes, but there are some differences. Stock exhaust sounds better, bigger racks, better seat and I like the battery being in the rear vs right over the engine. It's been awhile since I sold my '09 so you'll probably notice the differences more than I have.

I like the sportier look of the 12+ BF, but wish Kawi would have stuck with a dual headlight housing look. IMO, that was part of the BF's character. I've always liked the diff lock lever. It's nice being able to grab a lever and apply diff lock progressively; on the fly too.

Reactions: Chevrolettough

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a shame about your '08. I had an '09 and now have a '17 (identical to the '19 from what I can tell). Your wife will love it. Mine does :)

Not a ton of changes, but there are some differences. Stock exhaust sounds better, bigger racks, better seat and I like the battery being in the rear vs right over the engine. It's been awhile since I sold my '09 so you'll probably notice the differences more than I have.

I like the sportier look of the 12+ BF, but wish Kawi would have stuck with a dual headlight housing look. IMO, that was part of the BF's character. I've always liked the diff lock lever. It's nice being able to grab a lever and apply diff lock progressively; on the fly too.

Yup i already went over it and noted the things you listed. All are welcomed changes. I do prefer the dual headlights as well but this is already growing on me. The 08 will run again some day.

Wife was pissed “what did you do?! Are we just test driving it?!” Nope, 6 hour round trip, it’s not going back! then she cried and was happy. Really happy i could do this for her. She’s my riding partner!

Reactions: daver913

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already slapped a receiver hitch on it. Needs a winch, hand guards, and heated grips.

·
Super Moderator
1,115 Posts
That’s a happy wife. Doesn’t get any better than that. I like the blue. What kind of tires are you running?

Reactions: Chevrolettough

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s a happy wife. Doesn’t get any better than that. I like the blue. What kind of tires are you running?

Those are 26” artrax countrax (knock off big horns but really seem to hold up well!) might end up putting my old 28” mega mayhems on it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
81.1 miles, first full fluid changes and filter.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wife still happy with it? :)

Yes, she hasn't rode it much. I took it for a long spin yesterday to get the mileage up to the point where the fluids can be changed.

Question for you... the way the break in reads to me "10hours (60mi)" of nothing above 1/2 throttle. The first fluid service reads 60mi. I did the fluids.... am I ok to ride normal now??

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Yes, she hasn't rode it much. I took it for a long spin yesterday to get the mileage up to the point where the fluids can be changed.

Question for you... the way the break in reads to me "10hours (60mi)" of nothing above 1/2 throttle. The first fluid service reads 60mi. I did the fluids.... am I ok to ride normal now??
Yeah..mostly. Start stretching it out in RPMs up to the limiter but don't hold it up there for long periods just yet. 90 % of the breakin is done within the first 30 minutes anyway so..start pushing it ..just think of it like stretching a hamstring, stretch and release..a little more...and a little longer hold each time. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah..mostly. Start stretching it out in RPMs up to the limiter but don't hold it up there for long periods just yet. 90 % of the breakin is done within the first 30 minutes anyway so..start pushing it ..just think of it like stretching a hamstring, stretch and release..a little more...and a little longer hold each time. :)

Makes perfect sense. It no longer feels like it’s doggy, so that’s a good sign. Will plan go take it for a faster but shorter run this week. Should be ready for the weekend. Fluids all looked good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, just an update.

So the local guy who has his own shop tore the engine apart. Brass in the oil filter, not good. Needs crank turned ($100), low end seals. Top end needs all new parts (cylinders, gaskets, guides possibly) ect...

Looks like the labor and parts (all kawi except the pistons) will be $2000 - $2400. Anything that needs replacing while he's in there will get replaced even if it isn't failed (oil pump ect...). This won't be a half @$$ job. Guy is really good at what he does.

Ouch.

I have put a lot of time into this machine, lots of new parts (suspension, winch, lighting, bushings, kbec delete, coolant hoses, exhuast, diff seals ect...). I realize those parts don't add up to a whole lot. But the rest of the machine is in good shape aside the tired shocks.

I really think we should have the engine rebuilt. We can always sell it. I'd figure it's worth 4k, even with a engine refresh/rebuild.

I'm trying to convince my wife we should have it rebuilt. We can always sell it.

What are your guy's thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Well, done right that engine will last a long time...and not to mention as a whole, it's worth much more running then not....and an engine rebuild is cheaper then buying a new quad.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, done right that engine will last a long time...and not to mention as a whole, it's worth much more running then not....and an engine rebuild is cheaper then buying a new quad.
Thanks.

Yep, that's what I told her. This one ran almost 8k miles. And yes, worth a lot more running.

Remember, I bought her a 2019 kawi brute force 750 :)

I think after this virus crap blows over, we will look at having it rebuilt. I can use it for plowing in winter (along with my new purchase this fall...2000 chevrolet k3500 4x4 7.4L with an 8ft plow, full hydros.)

Kids can ride it too then. At the very least, we can sell it outright.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts