Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after riding again this weekend i have decided on the changes i am going to make to my V to make it better.

1st~ Steering stabilizer
2nd~ Dalton cover
3rd~ Set of shocks

I have been reading the sites and trying to decide the best choices and every one seems to always say more power more power, add a clutch spring, and this and that.

My quad already has an exhaust and been jetted, i put a UNI filter on it this weekend now as well..

To me besides the little bit of handling the quad kicks ass for trail riding and hill climbing.. I can't think of changing anything for more power because at this point in time thru the woods in a group it rides with the best of them.

Granted i can't beat a modified Banshee or a Raptor 700 in a 1/8th mile drag race but in 300' they are not that far ahead of me.. Good enough for me.

The reason behind me doing the Dalton cover is because it's the only mod i can see make a good difference with out changing things to drastically from how the quad performs in the trail now. Should just make it more snapper..

Well thats my thought of the week, not that it matters.. lol :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
You need to do a Dalton clutch kit.. The cover alone isn't going to do anything for you other than give you a few more mph top speed... by allowing the sheeves to close slightly further...

·
Registered
101 Posts
It is really what makes you happy , not us . Now get after the mods you will get there sooner or later . I mean faster and faster :unibrow: :unibrow: .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JMcClure
You need to do a Dalton clutch kit.. The cover alone isn't going to do anything for you other than give you a few more mph top speed... by allowing the sheeves to close slightly further...
See i don't want it to stall more so adding a different from factory spring is useless to me. Don't drag race so a higher stall launch is useless.

The other part of it is for adjusting shift points and right now i can't see why i would want to do that either..

Couple more mph thru the woods and little better throttle response is all the up grade i need. The cover should make the rpm's a little snapper itself..

F

·
0 Posts
The cover is only going to give you top speed, not MPH through the woods. Get an EPI pink, or Dalton Blue spring, and you will hel pthe engine maintain the correct RPM to upshift better. What this does, is keep the engine in its power band better, and allows it to accellerate faster. Neither of these springs have any stall to them, so you won't be upset over that. A spring is going to make it faster in the woods, or from out of corner acceleration. It is also easy to regulate the amount of throttle you use in the woods, so it won't be overbearing.

Stabilizers are great.

Pro Pegs give you a ton of confidence in the corners as well. I had some, took them off, and miss them dearly.

G

·
0 Posts
Just as Flyin stated.. they're are alot of springs out there that don't have hardly any stall, but have diff. spring pressures to allow for better pull, etc.. EPI Pink, Dalton Blue, are a couple of good springs for what your wanting... My brother tried out a set of dalton 56g weights with the blue spring and it works very well... He doesn't like any stall at all, and this works for him.. He has duals and the 12 hole mod, jetted accordingly... It revs out good and has a better hit(stronger pull, all the way through).. The stock spring is allowing you a good hit until about 30mph, after that you hit the gas and nothing... With a stiffer spring and a slightly heavier weight, you can have the revs and the hit, all in one... at higer speeds...

The cover isn't going to make it more snappier.. The snappiness is going to come from changing the shifting characteristics.. With the stock spring, you are passing up the sweet spot, the stiffer spring will alow for it to stay in the sweet spot and utilize the torque of the V-Twin!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah now thats some info i have been wanting to hear..

I don't want any stall either because i like to climb hills and we all know you seem to get stuck in the middle of one every now and then.

So Dalton cover and the Dalton blue spring added to that would be a good way to go? Or you saying the hole kit still?

Here so this?

And this?

Should be getting this any time soon!

Then some day!!

Maybe LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All though i don't think i am climbing to many hill's at 30mph? lol

Heck am i even going thru the woods that fast? :retard:

G

·
0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on the cover.. I would just get the kit that has 56gram weights and the Blue spring...like I said previously, It works well on my Bros. bike and he hates stall... I like the O/Blue better but that's me, and clutching is a preference to your riding..

The reason I say to get the 56gram weights is because I like the way they allow the bike to still rev, and yet give you the pull that the 58g weights have.. Also, the 56 gram weights are adjustable... If you ever feel the need for heavier weights, a cheap rivet in one of the holes and your done... dalton also sells the rivets!!!

Also, about the hill climbing... The hill climbs will be easier and the trail riding will be alot better, The heavier weights and stiffer spring will make the fun factor go up because you will have a broader power range which equals more useable/feelable power which equals more fun!!! :unibrow:

I know I haven't mentioned it yet, but YES a steering stabilizer and a good set of shocks are a night and day improvement.. I would definately recommend Stadium Shocks...I think they're is a new sponser on KR's, but if you don't want to go that route, you can always contact Terry at Stadium and deal straight through the Mfr... I had Stadium's on my previous quad(the one that got stolen :angry: ) and I absolutely loved them....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stadium Shocks

I checked on those from them as well, it seems to cost the same as any other brands.. So in reality which ones are best to buy?

A

·
0 Posts
If you want a light cover, get the stock one machined. Makes it real light and dont cost much to do.

Mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Dalton cover is overpriced and won't help on anything but squeezing out a few more MPH of stop speed. 99.9% of the time you will not be taking advantage of it.

I disagree on the 56g weights with a stock motor. I have them and my motor is stock. I run 1.5g rivets in them to make them 57.5g. (They were supposed to be 2g rivets, to make 58g weights, but Ritter sent me the wrong ones.) With these and the EPI pink spring I have been very satisfied in the trails. I like the Comet black for the dunes, but the stall is a bit much in tricky terrain where you don't want to break traction.

If I were made of money, the first upgrade I would have done was fully adjustable shocks. However, I hear GREAT things about non-adjustable Works, Elka and Stadium shocks. You can save 50% by giving up the adjustments and reservoirs, but having them custom made for your weight and preferences will be the important part anyways. Even Elka will tell you that a properly set up shock shouldn't need much adjustment except for special applications. Rezzies look cool, but unless you're a pretty hardcore racer or trail rider I have a hard time believing you'll get them hot enough to notice a decrease in performance.

Plus, all the extras can be added later to each of the brands I mentioned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See i mentioned on the other forum about getting the entry level Elka's because they will be new and made for me and all these guys selling the more expensive ones for more money act like theirs are gold over the entry level ones.

That brings me back to why would i pay $1300 for used when i can get brand new for $1100 shipped to my door?

I tried to buy a couple used sets to help someone get some money back but there is no way i would pay $1300 plus another $450 to have them rebuilt. Might as well buy the ones they are selling new..

I don't think that sinks in to most people.

I watched a top line set on Ebay only get up to $900.. The price isn't there on them anymore for used..

·
Registered
254 Posts
The good thing about buying used Elkas is that you can call and give them the serial number and they will tell you the exact specs. If you are lucky, you can find a set that are already set up for your weight and preferences. It will take patience, though.

I'm with you, though. If the difference between reworking used shocks and buying new is only $200-$300, why not buy new?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Pm'd two of the people that have used Elkas for sale and they didn't get back to me. They both wanted just shy of 1200 shipped and i offered 1000..

·
Registered
254 Posts
If those are with comp and rebound and the price is for all 3, $1,000 is about 50% off new price. Hope it works out! Every time I tried it I was politely declined. :p

I did snag an Elka Elite rear for $450, but the seller was what you'd call motivated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A full set just went on Ebay top of the line and only got up to $910. Needless to say it didn't hit reserve and they relisted a buy it now price of $1100 and they sold 3 days later.

$1000 plus i'll give $30 to ship is about the best they are going to get for a full set that will have to be sent off and rebuilt..

My opnion or i will buy new entry level for $1100 shipped like i said and my fat ass probably won't know the difference.. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts