Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has Bighorns and how do you like them?

i have had the 25s. like them, but kept beating my skids. i'm running 27s now and so far love them. both sets were mounted on stock rims. the dreaded "push steer when wet" problem just hasn't surfaced for me with either set. i'm not in much mud, but ride on lotsa rock. been running anywhere from 2-5 psi depending on conditions.

monty

·
Registered
64 Posts
I run 27's. Maxxis recommends 7 psi in the 27's. I had a bad wobble and the four tires were way different sizes at 3,4, or 5 psi. So I called Maxxis and they said 7 was the number and they were right.

Ever since I went to 7 psi these tires have been EXCELLENT. The handle great, have great forward and side bite, wear great.

My only problem is them rubbing on the front of the rear fender when the rear end really squats. I don't know how, but they do. Seems to be right at the rear of the footwell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine don't seem to rub, but the lower pressure may reduce the dia enough to clear. i had 6psi in them for a while but dropped that to run on snow. i liked how it handles on the rocky trails. i'm still playing with presures, tho.

i diddn't know 7PSI was the suggest pressure, tho. thanx.

monty

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was shocked when they said 7. But I did it and measured them with a tire tape (made specifically to measure tire circumfrence) and with 7 psi they were all four EXACTLY the same. With 4-6 they differed by as much as 1.25"

Concerning the rub, I need to unhook my shocks so I can run the back end thru its suspension travel, but I always forget about until I get out riding...or typing on a forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am also considering Bighorns. From my research they are considered virtually indestructable. Is this a fair statement? I have also read that they wear very nicely. The only bad comments I have heard is that they are heavy which is something that I do not mind because I am not trying to race the quad. Also, the rims I would like are aluminum ITP type 7's, but my atv mechanic friend is trying to steer me to steel wheels. Do the tires protect the bead of the rim?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bighorns are probably the toughest atv tire on the market, and do wear like iron. they don't really protect a rim any better than other tires (they don't have a rim guard) but my opinion is to get the wheels you want and just expect a few scuffs. i'm running mine on stock rims and they have a few dings.

monty

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think it matters what wheels you run - they will al get dinged or scratched at some point.

I had ITP Type 6's on my 05 Brute with Bighorns. I put Castlerocks on my new Brute with Bighorns.

I went from 27" Mudlites to 27" Bighorns sometime ago. I knew immediately that I had found THE tire for me. I rolled my 05 Brute and while I was waiting on the insurance to settle up and before I ordered my 07 I knew that the new one would have 27" Bighorns on it before it left the dealer.

The second pic is my new one with the Casterocks and Bighorns
http://www.gfconsultants.com/BussConnFixed.htm[/url]

·
Registered
63 Posts
From what I’ve seen in magazines, the Bighorn seems to be the tire of choice for the utility racers. Maybe the Bighorn is a spec tire for that class. They all seem to be running 25” tires also. I guess this is the lightest combination for the high speed riding that they due.

X

·
0 Posts
This is a tough subject for me, but here goes. I have the 25" bighorns, and they are without a doubt the toughest tire I have ever seen. If your running lots of rocks, I would recomend them. I even put a 4" crack in a beadlock alum. wheel and didnt hurt the tire. They also seem to wear very well. Thats about all the good i could say about them. They are very heavy and tall for 25's. They suck on wet hard pack, both steering and forwart bite. Ive since replaced with a set of 25" Maxxis All-tracks and i absoulty love them. They are about an inch shorter and much lighter and provide much better steering and traction. I also picked up 4 mph in about 500' over the bighorns. They are only 2-ply nylon but are very tough. They were the tire of choice for GNCC racers prior to the bighorns. Alot of guys still use them inplace of the bighorns. I guess it all depends on how your going to use them. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your input xchamp. I am currently seeking a suspension/tire/wheel set-up that would perform similar to the GNCC machines. I’m not looking to race, but sometimes I ride with some fast bikes and quads. I would like improve my high-speed handling but at the same time not lose all of the bikes utility capabilities. Also, how are beadlocks for every day riding, any drawbacks?

X

·
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by URABLUR
Thanks for your input xchamp.  I am currently seeking a suspension/tire/wheel set-up that would perform similar to the GNCC machines.  I’m not looking to race, but sometimes I ride with some fast bikes and quads.  I would like improve my high-speed handling but at the same time not lose all of the bikes utility capabilities.  Also, how are beadlocks for every day riding, any drawbacks?[/b]
Cant think of any drawbacks of having beadlocks, other than some added wieght. If you check out the topic below this (Tire/Rims), I talked more about this subject.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My buddy has a set of bighorns on his rubicon, and after riding with him once in the snow, and mud and trail riding after a rain, I'd never buy them, in the snow he was stuck and sliding around everywhere off the beaten trail, and in the mud, it just seemed as if he was running stock tires, the mud would clog and it would become a perfectly formed donut. And the ride we took on the day after rain, it was a hard packed trail, and being wet still, a couple times he couldn't get traction going up some hills he had to put it into 4wd, in my opinion I don't like these tires at all. Since then he's bought Mud lites.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm, i usually gotta break trail in the snow for the others. low pressure is the key on snow. this pic is early last month, and we'll have nothing but snow to ride on unill June or so.

the all-tracks seem to perform better on sra machines, Bighorns on IRS. this is dependant on riding style, too. most of our local trails are low range only and we have no interest whatsoever of speed.

anyway, i came up this mountain and am going back down here. there was another machine that turned around at the bottom...

monty

·
Registered
946 Posts
thats a sweet pic, but when me and my buddy went we were in snow to the floorboards and above, I had gotten stuck twice from spinnin around corners in 2wd n sliding off the trail my buddy with the girzzly and mud lites got stuck once and the guy with the rubicon n big horns was stuck all the time, but maybe its just the gearing in the paperweight i meen......... honda

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, atv tires in snow mean different things to different people. some people want a tire that will cut through it and bite the ground to get traction. this will only allow you to go until you start to push too much snow.

other people expect a snow tire to float on top and not dig in. this takes a light flimsy tire with low pressures and light machine, along with the right snow conditions. when this type of set-up works, it is almost unbelievable.

here in MT, we can run on snowmobile trails until Jan 1, and i often do. the surface is somewhat packed and often very deep. deep enough to bury the atv completely. but with a little care, i can run on this stuff all day without getting stuck. a little caution is required here as it is possible to leave in the morning on hard, crusted snow, and have the temps warm up during the day and turn the snow to mush. waiting for the nightly freeze to get back to the truck may inturrupt some other plans...

if i had two sets of tires/wheels, i'd have 4snows or something like them for one set, and the 27"Bighorns on the other. the 'horns will float on a little crust, but certain conditions like deep drifted snow with no crust will stop them.

monty

X

·
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by URABLUR
xchamp - How do the All-tracks do in the snow?[/b]
Dont know yet, Ill let you know in about a month, if i still have the quad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After taking Monty's advice, I ordered a set of 27" Maxxis BigHorns ( mounted on Type 4's) for my 06 750BruteForce. They measure 28" in diameter. When side by side with 27" XTR's...the BigHorns tower over them. They are a big tire. Low end I dont really notice any real power robbing concern. However...they did take away some of the midrange snap of the Big Brute . The 26" version would be comparable to other manufactures 27" sizes if anyone needs help in making a decision like I was. Also at 7 psi the sidewalls were rather mushy compared to the XTR's. I hadda pump up to 10psi to get 'er to handle without being all over the trails running hard & fast. All in all she looks badazz & I'm pretty happy with the choice !

Thx guys . Great forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got the 26" bighorn and I'm fully satisfied with them. Steering is precise and cornering is outstanding. I rode in snow (not much mind you) but it was going where I wanted rather than where the tires wanted. Got excellent traction. I run mine at 5 psi front and rear and it's fine by me. Less flex in the sidewall when turning sharply. Look like a million bucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts