Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any after market bearing or set up. for the bearing that sits at the bottom of the steering stem just above the front diff. for some reason mines clicking, and loose. and am i correct in assuming that there is no upper steering stem bearing just the clamps. and in that case, mine is loose, how do i go about replacing the upper one, new shaft, or clamps. whats wearing?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks i will. is all balls or epi actually "strong" than oem. or just an cheaper replacement?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone have problems blowing the lower bearing on the steering shaft? there like 100 bucks up here. i am running 26x10 wide on the front bias plys. maybes there too heavy?

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
does anyone have problems blowing the lower bearing on the steering shaft? there like 100 bucks up here. i am running 26x10 wide on the front bias plys. maybes there too heavy?[/b]
Bustamove, after reading this thread I thought I would soon have to deal with mine, and sure enough, it started squeeking on my last ride, so today I pulled it off and sure enough it was bone-dry and starting to gaul itself. I cleaned it up and as it was still pretty tight, decided to make it greasable..why not, can't hurt. Here's what I did;

Remove from quad, remove the seals and the spacer. You will want to possition the port about where the casting has a mark or raised area is on the side facing the tie rods ends so grind a nice little flat spot. Turn the ball so that the hole faces toward the spot you will be drilling. Drill your pilot then your final size. Tap, then you can reach through the hole with a small round file to take the bur off the inside surface making sure not to damage the threads where the zerk will go. Re-polish the ball with steel wool if yours is damaged from wear or being dry. One final cleaning and pre-greasing, then put the seals back in, the spacer and the zerk. Use a 90 degree because a straight one can't be gotten to through the tie rods or ends. (Lesson learned the hard way) Put it all back together and grease it well rotating the bars to either side as you grease it. That's it!! If I ever have to replace mine, I will be doing this before installing the new one FOR SURE. This also makes it steer much easier. It will look something like this when done;

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Re-polish the ball with steel wool if yours is damaged from wear or being dry".
what did u mean by this. i haven't taken mine apart but its it several ball bearing or just one kindof like a hiem joint. and by the way.... good post. i will be doing that very quick. i am going to post another thread on what u can grease.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
"Re-polish the ball with steel wool if yours is damaged from wear or being dry".
what did u mean by this. i haven't taken mine apart but its it several ball bearing or just one kindof like a hiem joint. and by the way.... good post. i will be doing that very quick. i am going to post another thread on what u can grease.[/b]
Its the same thing as that hiem/ball they put in the rear side of the upper a-arms. P.O.S. but mine was still tight enough to keep, just had a scar-line. I can't believe they use these things...and a hundred-bucks to replace!!! Burrrr.  It's clear the real money is in replacement parts.

Now I have made greasable both upper and lower steering stem bearings, all four lower shock mounts and front-upper A-arms.  Whats next?...the rest of the A-arm bearings? Probably.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright i got it apart i got the upper and lower seals out of the lower steering bearing. but do u have to press that middle piece out? to get the ball out?

and the top steering stem "holder" on mines its 2 split pieces of plastic with 2 cut seals. is yours the same?

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bustamove @ Oct 27 2008, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
alright i got it apart i got the upper and lower seals out of the lower steering bearing. but do u have to press that middle piece out? to get the ball out?

and the top steering stem "holder" on mines its 2 split pieces of plastic with 2 cut seals. is yours the same?[/b]

Sorry to say it does not come out of there. My upper, like all others is the same as yours. I tapped it too. If you will send me a PM, I will cut-n-paste a step by step instruction for tapping that bearing and the upper bushing. Tell you what, I will just PM you with that. Give me s second.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BF Freak @ Oct 27 2008, 03:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, your PM has been sent.[/b]
thanks for the pm. it was quite detailed.
when i did my top bushing there is 2 halfs i ended up putting 2 zerks in each one, in front at air box then one in the back. i found there is a hole in the back. and its perfect to fit a zerk in there(hole in the metal frame brace).. hmmmm.........

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Cool ! Just think how long these parts will last now! I need to do the the other A-arm berings( did the upper fronts already), but I understand you have to put the zerk between where the seal inner lip ends and the bearing race starts, so I need to take one apart and do some measuring with the old calipers.

You know, I noticed the more things get greased, the easier it steers and smoother it rides....and the squeeks go away!! I might take your advice and post those instructions on the "How To" forum. I'm sure we all that the same issue with that bearing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a quick question. I added the lower steering stem zerk, but i am unforsure how much grease to pump into it? I dont want to put to much, cause i dont know if it will do something bad. I dont think it will but just wanted to check with you guys first. Also what are you all talking about the upper stem? Is there something up there to put a zerk onto also? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07galaxy650 @ Oct 30 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a quick question. I added the lower steering stem zerk, but i am unforsure how much grease to pump into it? I dont want to put to much, cause i dont know if it will do something bad. I dont think it will but just wanted to check with you guys first. Also what are you all talking about the upper stem? Is there something up there to put a zerk onto also? Thanks guys.[/b]
It take less then an 1/8 of a pump on a regular gun. The excess will just be pushed out the top...for some reason...seal and fall down to that nitch below the 15mm nut. I would give it a shot about every 3-500 miles just to be safe.

Yeah, there is a stem bushing just in front of the airbox that I and others have put a zerk in. It drys out even faster then the others and needs greased even more often. Be carefull. Its just plastic.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also i will add when putting a zerk in the top, be super careful not too pump too much grease in as i blew out my seals twice. and there a pain to get back in.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bustamove @ Oct 31 2008, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
also i will add when putting a zerk in the top, be super careful not too pump too much grease in as i blew out my seals twice. and there a pain to get back in.[/b]
Right. Forgot about that deal. Slowly, and work the bars back and forth. You know, I drilled a little little hole center, top and on the airbox side angled back into the grease area to let the grease come up,around and out there instead of pushing on the seals, but it has never come out there yet. Still by-passes the seals first. Seals must be warn out...I guess. Oh well, its greased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Link to my video on how to repair a worn out and loose lower steering stem ball. Takes about an hour and costs 50 cents roughly. Worked great on my 2 brutes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts