Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not sure if anyone else has had an issue like this. But I felt my Brute just didn't steer well. It's still pretty new under 1,000 miles. I rode my buddies 2017 Rubicon and it steers and handles great compared to mine. We both have Big Horn Radial tires, and power steering. So I decided to take the wheels off and adjust the tie rods in. They connect in the back so that forces the wheel out. I did one turn on each side. Seems to be better, but until I ride my buddies Rubicon and he rides mine, I won't know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
So I'm not sure if anyone else has had an issue like this. But I felt my Brute just didn't steer well. It's still pretty new under 1,000 miles. I rode my buddies 2017 Rubicon and it steers and handles great compared to mine. We both have Big Horn Radial tires, and power steering. So I decided to take the wheels off and adjust the tie rods in. They connect in the back so that forces the wheel out. I did one turn on each side. Seems to be better, but until I ride my buddies Rubicon and he rides mine, I won't know for sure.
That's how you adjust your toe..and one turn each is a lot of change. You could be way out of spec now. I believe the spec is 10mm +- so anywhere between 0 and 10mm toe-in is correct. Otherwise it will handle like hell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how you adjust your toe..and one turn each is a lot of change. You could be way out of spec now. I believe the spec is 10mm +- so anywhere between 0 and 10mm toe-in is correct. Otherwise it will handle like hell.
I put about 50 miles on he on the last trip in TN. It does handle better, or no worse than before. I should have switched with my buddy who was riding the Rubcion but didn't get a chance to do it. As for the 1 turn that's the least you can do on the tie rod end as it has to point down to go through the knuckle. I supposed you could take the entire tie rod off and then loosen both ends and rotate the shaft to do less. But unless one end is counter threaded then as you turn the shaft one side goes in, the other goes out. But I haven't had it apart that far so I don't know.

Getting the front wheels aligned is tough unless you have the right equipment. Don't get me wrong, there are video's on youtube using strings and all kinds of stuff. but to get it inside 10mm without the right equipment will be tough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts