Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chatter coming from my engine that I was sure was the valves. Upon further inspection the valves are within spec, any other ideas what the sound could be?
I heard something about a clutch being able to do that but I'm uncertain, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,637 Posts
Noises are all distinctive, concentrated in certain areas...and some can sound like others. For example we relate loose valves to a "Ticking" sound coming from the top ends. We relate cam chains as a "chattering" sound that also comes from near the top ends. On the bottom ends we can hear either the knocking of loose primary shoes at idle but goes away at increased RPMs and/or rod-knock at idle that doesn't go away with increased RPMs. Your "Chatter"may be chain-related and may not be a cam chain as there are several other chains to consider. If it were me I would want to know where my tentioners were. Remove the top caps to releeve the spring pressure then the two outer bolts and work straight out. Mark the tooth it is on, release the lock and pull all the way out. Then count how many teeth are left in the travel. As I recall the last 3 don't count as that is past the range. Less the half way is what you want to see. Over that means it's time to consider chain replacement. When you re-install the tensioners back in fully retract them first. When you put the top cap back on the spring will push it back out.

One other thing that can cause chatter is warn chain tensioner bars. The plastic can be warn through to the steel inside and make that noise. Broken rings can also make some chatter sound but that means low compression or oil burning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the laundry list🤣🤣🤣
I will whittle thru it and see what comes of it.
Curse all these fancy components

Again, I really appreciate your time and effort!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts