Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I split the crankcase on the Brute today (going in for a spun bearing) and let me assure you guys that when we think we are flushing all that crap out after we drownd them boy are we wrong.There was a scary amount of sludge still in the bottom. Theres a screen at the bottom the catches the big stuff and mine had plenty. The crank case vent leads to a cavity that had a 1/6 " layer of oily mud caked on the bottom and sides. I tried takeing some pics with my cheap digital camera but it wouldn't focus clear enough.

The damage:
One crank with a severe wear pattern on the down stroke side of the lobe.
One rod damaged by spun bushing.
All bushing damaged.
Crankbushing in left half of case damaged.
Oilpump damaged from metal and crap in oil.
Cylinders are fine, messure within spec, just goona run a hone thru them. Gonna need rings though.

Final tally on parts is around $800 (from RonAyers)

A

·
0 Posts
You got lucky. I damaged the crank bushing in left housing on my old 650. They would not sell it at that time. Had to buy a new case. $800.00.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by Arkyrider
You got lucky. I damaged the crank bushing in left housing on my old 650. They would not sell it at that time. Had to buy a new case. $800.00.
[/b]

They still don't offer it seperately. I'm gonna go to the machine shop and see if they can find one that wll work. If not I'll have to run the one that's in there. The crank isn't sloppy the bushing is just scared from the metal in the oil. I talked to Flynt about this and he said he has never had an issue with running them like that.

A

·
0 Posts
You may be able to get one turned out on a lathe. Funny they sell the samme style bushing for the mule, it is just a litttle smaller. Kawi's reasoning is that the dealers techs would not be able to do the install right, they can do it on the Mule but not the Prarries or Brutes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by Arkyrider
You may be able to get one turned out on a lathe. Funny they sell the samme style bushing for the mule, it is just a litttle smaller. Kawi's reasoning is that the dealers techs would not be able to do the install right, they can do it on the Mule but not the Prarries or Brutes.
[/b]
Now that makes no since. You have to press the crank and rollerbearing into the other half. If you can do that then that little bushing should be a breeze. It would give them another reason to see another overpriced special tool.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This reply may be late but I wound up running it anyway. Once I got the new crank in I noticed no play at all ( checked with dial indicator.) I just polished the bushing with some emory cloth . I 'm sure it will be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts