Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Simple Question re: Trickle Charge Exterior Plug

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Bulgarian brute 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought a used 2014 Brute Force. I am not at all [yet] mechanical (as you'll see from my question - LOL). My battery is fully charged but I need to be able to connect it to a trickle charger because I won't be riding for months at a time.
I exposed the battery and connected the trickle charger. No problems. But all the steps to expose the battery and then cover it back up every time I want to ride seems like a lot of work.
Is there a plug made that I could permanently connect to the battery terminals with an exterior poug that the trickle charger cord/plug could easily plug into?
Where would I install that plug on my bike?
Thanks everyone and I look forward to learning more about my bike!

#2 ·
Welcome. First let's clarify that a "Trickle Charger" applies power at all times and although it's something less then one amp usually, it will waste a smaller battery quite quickly by over charging and/or drying to a point of plate exposure. So never use a trickle charger on ...hell..anything you store for more then a day or two. Use a "smart charger" like a Battery Tender Jr. These charge as needed then stop all power to the battery when fully charged. I use them on all my batteries, large and small. Any smart charger will work as long as it stops charging when the battery is fully charged.

Next, yes, there are extensions you can use to quickly plug-in. The Battery tender Jr comes with one but you can buy extras as I have for other machines. I use these:

Or these

#4 ·
I purchased a NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation
Is this an equal to the Battery Tender Jr? Or should I send it back and buy the Battery Tender?
Thanks!!

#3 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought a used 2014 Brute Force. I am not at all [yet] mechanical (as you'll see from my question - LOL). My battery is fully charged but I need to be able to connect it to a trickle charger because I won't be riding for months at a time.
I exposed the battery and connected the trickle charger. No problems. But all the steps to expose the battery and then cover it back up every time I want to ride seems like a lot of work.
Is there a plug made that I could permanently connect to the battery terminals with an exterior poug that the trickle charger cord/plug could easily plug into?
Where would I install that plug on my bike?
Thanks everyone and I look forward to learning more about my bike!
Battery tenders are a must as soon as my new brute was delivered I installed the extension cord with quick plug to the battery. Don't want to mention the brand per say however I had an old yellow two up for 14years factory battery still in it when I sold it, always plugged in a battery junior tender. Battery tenders are one the best investments to make to insure your machine is always ready to go.

#8 ·
Yes low amp for small batteries my tender is 3/4 of an amp or 750 milliamps
My trolling motor battery is deep cycle weighs 45 lbs with a reserve capicity of 175 amps and750 cranking amps requires a 8 amp deep cycle battery charger. It is fully automatic when charged switches over to maintain at 2amps or less when needed in storage.
Tried a Jr. Tender on that trolling battery once well that tender is fried and in the recycle bin,,
to say the least 750 milliamps wasn't gonna cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.