Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 BF 750. Water pump was just rebuilt today. Oil, coolant and spark plugs fresh. Hubby is thinking bad clutch shoes. Any thoughts? Here is link to video...

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Might be shoes. Awful loud though. It's idling to high to tell. Here's what bad shoes sounds like normally:

Might better check to see if the top end is getting oil. That'll tell you if the pump is OK. Just remove a tappet cover and run it...if oil splatters out, it's OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m ready to give up, for fear it needs bottom end rebuilt. Hubby is staying positive and saying we will figure it out. Times like this I wish the thing was straight stock. Too many conversions for my liking.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
I’m ready to give up, for fear it needs bottom end rebuilt. Hubby is staying positive and saying we will figure it out. Times like this I wish the thing was straight stock. Too many conversions for my liking.
Unfortunately it's true that with every mod comes a down side..especially true with performance mods where extra stresses on non-modified parts causes reliability issues. Check the oil pressure..it's easy. And take the clutch off and see if the noise goes away...that's also easy with a puller and torque wrench.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Motor is now out of frame. Going back to stock and going through it completely. Clutch is noisy but it wasn’t all the noise. Hubby showed video to a friend of his who has ran an ATV shop for 35+ years. He says rear cylinder rod bearing is spun and knocking and one of the cams is probably wore down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the crazy thing is that the cylinders look perfect and mic out to stock at 84.96! We were told it was bored out and had stage 3 hotcams in it, pretty sure these are stock cams, no manufacturer stamp on them anywhere.
F565AAA6-3916-41BD-851C-B0B952A6E979.jpeg
36C5CC8C-8B3E-471C-B3FD-75CD56321DA8.jpeg
F41B800E-407F-4FBD-A8A8-C212FE5E1970.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
And I may be wrong but I have never seen a Hot Cam that has..or uses the stock compression release...or any compression release for that matter. They just don't use them...but then I've also never seen their Stage3s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone ever heard of a cylinder cracking? Husband is seeing some marks and is concerned they are hairline cracks. It’s the rear cylinder, front cylinder had the spun bearing and broken piston. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Yes. Don't fool with it, just replace it. And if you need someone to do this engine work, I strongly recommend nFlow. It will be better then factory and have a solid warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are BF750 and Teryx750 heads interchangeable? I guess we are replacing heads too. This is getting to be an awfully expensive project!

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
I think so but better look it up to be sure. If both part numbers are the same...then yes.

I have to toss in that these engines don't take well to mix-n-match parts or half-done rebuilds. For just one example, your crank will have to be replaced and that means as Kawasaki sets the end play or thrust by custom-cutting the thrust main bearing, on each engine, that bearing will have to be replaced and cut just for the new crank. Otherwise it will be wrong and may shorten it's life. Things like that and the fact that a ton of filings have been pumped through all the parts and bearings from that piston alone..even the transmission's bearings...cam bearings..oil pump..everywhere. What has been effected by this. The answer is.. all of it has... one way or another. You are about to spend somewhere around 2500-3K on this engine...don't throw it away by missing something.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Guess it’s time to do more research
I'm just saying it's a lot of money...and it can be wasted very easily. Done right and its alive almost for ever. Done half way it may not make it out of the driveway. It's not my intention to scare you...just make sure your eyes are wide open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts