Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '12 and "13 750 brutes. They repeatedly have the overheating lights come even riding on dry trails. Outside temps are mid 70's. If we stop and let the fan run 5 or 10 mins. we can continue on for 20 mins or so before it happens again. The fans do kick on and the radiators have been cleaned repeatedly... Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I know you said radiators have been cleaned, but try taking the fan and shroud off and really clean well from inside to out. Sometimes mud dries inside the fins and it can be a bugger to get it cleaned out. Also, is there any chance of air trapped in the system? Try letting it run, with the radiator cap off, until fan cycles on and see if any air bubbles make their way out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
seems like I've been hearing more overheating issues lately with '13 and '14 models. I have never had an issue with my '12 and I'm wondering why.

as jack suggested, make sure that all air is bled from the system. I also added water wetter to mine as soon as I got it. Never had an issue, so maybe give water wetter a try.

I've also heard that ppl have had good luck with engine ice, but there are issues with using that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
13,283 Posts
The radiators are bigger then the old ones so you would think there should be less issues. But I too have been hearing about more overheating problems and mostly with the 13s and 14s. I wonder if there was a bad batch of thermostats. After ensuring there is no trapped air, pull yours and test it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried removing the fan to clean the radiator. I have tried removing the grill to get at the radiator good from the front. I have another 2012 that the light has never come on even on the same rides. Maybe there were some bad thermostats. The ones that overheat after stopping we turn the key on and let the fan run for 5 or 6 minutes then restart and the fan usually shuts off within a minute or less so I believe the thermostat must be open and coolant is circulating. What are the possible issues with running engine ice? I have heard good things about running it. We are planning a trip to Hatfield/McCoy the first week of Aug. and would like to not have issues there. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 13 and I have not had any overheating problems. Was out today on a ride and it was around 85 out, never had any issues.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I believe running engine ice you have to make sure that it is completely (100%) engine ice. You can not top off with water, antifreeze, piss or anything other than engine ice.

So, if you were to run into an issue on the trail, you could be SOL.

I'd try the water wetter first and see if it takes care of your issue after testing the T-stat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try the water wetter. I have also heard of going to a 10" automotive fan. Is there one it particular that bolts up or is there alot of modifying to do this? Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would make sure your radiator fins are very clean - I can see through mine when I use a garden hose and water to clean it. If it still overheats, then when engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, run the engine up to temperature until the thermostat opens, see if there are air bubbles burping out from the rad cap area - top off with coolant up the the rad fill neck, then install rad cap. Yes I installed an automotive 10" electric fan on my rad, because my factory fan crapped out. I used a 10" , s type fan blade, I believe it is an 80watt 12vdc motor. I use it as a puller fan just like the factory fan ran. No complaints and she still runs from when I installed it in 2011. I attached a link of the fan, but don't buy it from China, it will take forever to ship.
10" Heavy Duty Radiator Electric Fan 2200 CFM Electric Blade SBC BBC 350 | eBay

Ps. - I used engine ice before, and now using regular antifreeze. I saw no gains from engine ice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 09 BF 750, and have had overheating issues while trail riding slow ( less that 30mph) on hot day (90+). Always made sure that radiator was clean, coolant was full, etc. I switched to Engine Ice, really no noticeable change. I finally purchased an after radiator /fan system from High Lifter and installed where the OEM had been. There may be other after market systems than High Lifter that are just as good or even better, but High Lifter is what I used.

The HL radiator is a lot thicker than OEM and the their fan really moves the air. For the most part it has solved the engine overheating, however their fan moves more of the hot air out the sides of the ATV and makes it a hotter on me (legs feet ETC). Unfortunately I think its the nature beast (or the Brute as it were )!
Just my two cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It shouldn't be having this problem and I really think the cause should be found, not masked. JMO :)
I agree completely. I have another '12 that hasn't had any issues. I did remove the fan on one that overheats and found crud where the shroud meets the radiator. I'll clean it thoroughly and have water wetter to add. should get a chance to ride next weekend and I'll post the results...Thanks for all the pointers...I'm also going to fashion some fender liners to protect the radiator from mud off the tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I added water wetter to the radiators, let them run till I could see there was no air bubbles (with the aid of a mirror) and the fan had run 2 or 3 times. We just got back from riding Rockhouse in the Hatfield McCoy trail system. We had a little overheating issue the first day after playing in some mud holes. A through cleaning at the quarter car wash each morning and no more problems. Thanks for all the input!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
That is great. I am glad to hear it. There is little that is more frustrating than sitting on the side of the trail waiting for an over heated ATV to cool down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 Brute just got and the coolant was empty after 1 ride.... had to put water to emergency fix and got some coolant in it now... check engine light was on, now off but temp light on... any suggestions? Has been in mud!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts