Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my belt slipping, so I pulled of the converter cover and noticed oil all over the belt, clutches. I pulled everything off to clean and diagnose the issue. Seals where all good and the oil pipe looks good also

What I noticed was oil coming from a couple of screws that are threaded into the crankcase. There is also a plug that sits by one of the threads that bolts the plate that covers the oil pipe was pushing oil out of it also.

I took the plug out of the vent line " the one you unplug and drain on each oil change" and it seemed to not push the oil out of those spots when unplugged.

My understanding that vent line needs to be plugged all the time.

Is there any info on where to look at at possible pinched line that is causing the pressure to build and push the oil out of those places?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
Post some pics. Oil in the belt area usually comes from first, a failed o-ring on the oil line , then a failed o-ring on the intermediate chain cover plate, then finally one or both shaft seals. Coming out of bolt holes is rare as they shouldn't go all the way through into the case. The only venting the crank case had is the vent tube going to the airbox. That must stay open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The O rings and the 2 seals looked good while it was running. The spots that the oil was coming in at are posted above. this vent line that I'm showing made a big difference when it was running while i had the plug out.

·
Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
The O rings and the 2 seals looked good while it was running. The spots that the oil was coming in at are posted above. this vent line that I'm showing made a big difference when it was running while i had the plug out.
That line looks to be the oil capture line that sits just below the crankcase vent line port in the air box. It's job is to provide a well or capture point for oil and other condensed vapors that comes up that vent line to go before it gets sucked into the TBs. Yes, it is supposed to be drained every oil change...which looks like got missed a time or two or this machine has been sunk.. and yes, it must be capped so as not to let raw unfiltered air in. Not sure how that could possibly have anything to do with the belt box as it shouldn't be associated with it at all. I think you are going to fine it's one of the things I mentioned above or..what exactly is this?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for giving me some ideas to look for.
Automotive tire Rim Wood Wheel Vehicle brake

I bought this Brute to use for duck and goose hunting last year! I was stupid enough to not check the oil levels and end up having a mechanic rebuild the engine for me. I was trying to get about 65 miles on the brute to do my first oil change when it developed the belt slipping. This morning I’m dropping it off back at the mechanic to hopefully fix The problem. I did get a new oil seal for behind the primary clutch, but was trying to troubleshoot it before I drop it off to him. It could be the primary seal because when I run it down the road a 1/4 mile I have lot more oil right below the primary clutch.

I just thought it’s weird having oil coming out in those areas.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts