Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always noticed a little oil being used after hard rides. From what I've heard its common for brute forces.

However without noticing any leaking seals, I observed that my oil is half way down the dipstick after a long ride the other day.

Seems a bit excessive don't you think?

Idea's?

Using 10W40 Kawi Mineral oil.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
By saying mineral oil, you mean conventional? In any case, yes, that is excessive considering normally you wouldn't see losses like that unless it has bad valve seals, warn or broken rings or a bad shaft seal. Even mine with 4600 miles won't use 1/2 an X in 700 hard miles...but...If I use synthetic, its off the stick in 70 miles.

The other thing that makes them use more oil is running rich. Mine is jetted for 3900 to about 8000 feet and I have TPI slide vents on my airbox for when I go over that. If I forget it will use oil like I was using synthetic so check that out for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Kawi mineral oil. 10w40.
@2600+ miles.
It hasn't been that bad before or after. just that one ride. weird.
It runs rich for sure. plugs are always black. The Commander chip dumps fuel in for days.
I normally go down an x on the dipstick per ride.

Keeping an eye on it.

Thanks NW. Food for thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
By saying mineral oil, you mean conventional? In any case, yes, that is excessive considering normally you wouldn't see losses like that unless it has bad valve seals, warn or broken rings or a bad shaft seal. Even mine with 4600 miles won't use 1/2 an X in 700 hard miles...but...If I use synthetic, its off the stick in 70 miles.

The other thing that makes them use more oil is running rich. Mine is jetted for 3900 to about 8000 feet and I have TPI slide vents on my airbox for when I go over that. If I forget it will use oil like I was using synthetic so check that out for sure.
My Kawie is drinking (synthetic) oil like beer, but this thread gave me some sense of relief. Going to try mineral oil tomorrow.
Could you please explain to me why mineral oil would hold longer than synthetic? My smart-ass mechanic has absolutely no idea with mineral vs synthetic, and says I should try 20w50 instead of 10w40 due to the heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts