Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS LOOKS BAD!!!! I Rode the brute all day today through trails, a couple of mud holes, a little water but nothing to serious. So we are at the end of the day and we are riding back to the truck when all the sudden the motor starts bogging in the mid to top end... I look back and there is nothing but a massive stream of white oil smelling smoke pouring out of the brute and i mean massive!!! No noise in the motor no clanking nothing. we get to the truck i pull the dipstick and the oil is loaded with water!!! WHAT DID I DO??? What coulld be the problem any ideas. The Brute is only two weeks old with 35 miles and 7 hours on it!! How bad is it??? let me know fellas!!!

:cuss: :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well first off you need to change the oil and filter,then go to a auto parts store and buy a can of Sea Form and pour half of the can in the motor with the new oil and filter.

You probly got the water in the motor due to you probly hitting the water holes really fast,that's why most people snorkel there Brute's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but what is all the smoke from??? And the bogging??? Something just doesnt seem rite

·
Registered
9 Posts
:cuss: very BAD and good luck i,d clean it up and sell it .but nun of us that own a brute ever hit water deep enuff to get waterin the oil lol.maybe a head gasket gone :devil:the sputtering is a wet filter still sucking in water .the smoke means she,s getting water and oil on the cilender walls and shes burning it wow realy good for the brand new bike
you found water in your oil and your still running it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way i stopped and got pulled back!! But thats the thing i never got water in the box i pulled cover and filter and both were dry. I am freaking out here this bike is brand new and i dont ride hard.. there were guys out there with there bikes sumbmerged and hydrauliced and they drained them and were back on there way.. I dont ride like that i am not experienced i take it easy. the deepest water i was in was only mid tire.. I never got in the deep stuff

·
Registered
946 Posts
well, you said you were hitting water, there could be the chance of it splashing into the air intake, enough to do engine damage but also sucking in wind, it would push all the water through showing none so it may not seem to you that theres water in the intake.

Also, its possible for a seal to not be "sealed" basically and water leaked through while hitting the water.

But none the less, drain it, which I'm sure you've done, pull the plugs and try and pull start it to push the water out of the top end of the cylinders. Then once you finally do it get started, let it idle enough to warm the engine up, getting the oil sloshed around, drain the oil again, repeat this until the oils no longer milky, then just take it easy on a small ride not very far, check the oil, if its milky, change it until thats gone.

Do not try starting it with water in the engine again.

But you said it was bogging in the top end, when I sunk my bike, same thing happened, get all the water out and all that, take it into the dealer, don't say there was water damage because they will charge you and you still have warranty, get them to do the valves because you no longer have compression because of the water bending the valves. This is VERY costly I've had to do 3 valve jobs since I sunk mine.

When you get it back sell it, it will never be the same unless you buy entirely new valves for it, its been ran with water in the engine so its gonna need a rebuild soon because that messes up your motor badly.

But none the less good luck with fixing it, if its hard to start when you get all the water out of the engine, thats your valves gone and you have no compression, so once its ready to be started and its hard to start, go on the side to pull start it, and hold the throttle open about a quarter, choke on full and pull it out until it hits once thats your compression, pull it past that hump, then pull it really hard to fire the engine. This will take several tries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds to me like it might be a leaking or blown head gasket. Best bet would be to get it to the dealer and get it checked out. Hope its nothing too serious.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by |Brute650|
well, you said you were hitting water, there could be the chance of it splashing into the air intake, enough to do engine damage but also sucking in wind, it would push all the water through showing none so it may not seem to you that theres water in the intake.

Also, its possible for a seal to not be "sealed" basically and water leaked through while hitting the water.

But none the less, drain it, which I'm sure you've done, pull the plugs and try and pull start it to push the water out of the top end of the cylinders. Then once you finally do it get started, let it idle enough to warm the engine up, getting the oil sloshed around, drain the oil again, repeat this until the oils no longer milky, then just take it easy on a small ride not very far, check the oil, if its milky, change it until thats gone.  

Do not try starting it with water in the engine again.

But you said it was bogging in the top end, when I sunk my bike, same thing happened, get all the water out and all that, take it into the dealer, don't say there was water damage because they will charge you and you still have warranty, get them to do the valves because you no longer have compression because of the water bending the valves. This is VERY costly I've had to do 3 valve jobs since  I sunk mine.

When you get it back sell it, it will never be the same unless you buy entirely new valves for it, its been ran with water in the engine so its gonna need a rebuild soon because that messes up your motor badly.

But none the less good luck with fixing it, if its hard to start when you get all the water out of the engine, thats your valves gone and you have no compression, so once its ready to be started and its hard to start, go on the side to pull start it, and hold the throttle open about a quarter, choke on full and pull it out until it hits once thats your compression, pull it past that hump, then pull it really hard to fire the engine. This will take several tries.
[/b]
.........well said .now how did the water get in there ummmmmmmmjee not freakin me .SELL IT,and by the way us brute riders no how water gets in there so don,t say it wasen,t me ok WE KNOW

·
Registered
190 Posts
Its smoking because it has so much water in it that it's forcing oil and water out of the exhaust.Change the oil and filter and put some sea foam in it and you should be ok.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Superbogger, Brute 650,BF650I Thanks guys I will try. DRIFTER750 Stick it!!! I know I was riding it I know it is my responsibility did you see in my first post i said "WHAT DID I DO"???? I came on here looking for help for a problem and all your doing is bashing me!!! I am a first timer, I am non experienced, I dont know all the rules to the game but i need an answer to a issue and not OHHH SELL IT AND OHHH DONT SAY "IT WASNT ME" AND "NICE FOR YOUR BRUTE RIDE IT WITH WATER IN THE OIL".. You are an A** man. I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT I DID!!!!!! I just need to know how to fix it and not ohh sell it... It is still under warranty it is only two weeks old. What ever needs to be done is Kawasaki's problem not mine!!! Thanks again to the fellas that did answer my questions you guys are the reason I like this place..

·
Registered
135 Posts
i feel your pain bud! :( my bike got swamped out like that, the water was getting in from the rubber boots between the carbs and heads. make sure all who read this check those boots reguarly. i seized mine, brute,s been in shop for 4 months :( 2 months at one dealer who was fighting with kawi about warranty, they couldn,t tell kawi why it siezed, so i took it to my original deal, the mechanic looked at it for 5 miniutes and realized the carb boots were dried out and had cracks in them. kawi is now paying for a new motor
even theoe i,m not covered under my extended warranty, they are paying because of the bullsh-- i went thru with the other dealership. i,m a kawi owner forever!
i didn,t mean to take up so much space on your site but i thought my story starts with the same problem good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check the radiator to see if it still has fluid, my guess is head gasket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, check the radiator to rule out a head gasket, if the smoke had kinda of a sweet smell it could be antifreeze, also check the carb boots and 3rd, check the bottem right if sitting on it under the airbox is the crankcase breather tube. It's 5/8" in diameter. It's supposed to be attached from the crankcase to the airbox. If it fell off or was never attached water will enter there. Good luck.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Originally posted by drifter750
.........well said .now how did the water get in there ummmmmmmmjee not freakin me .SELL IT,and by the way us brute riders no how water gets in there so don,t say it wasen,t me ok WE KNOW[/b][/quote]

I was just letting him know ways water can get in, not bashing anyone not saying he doesn't know what hes doing either. He said hes new to it and didn't know, these forums are to help people not bash them, he needs help I'm sure he knows how to ride and all that. He has a problem, he needs help everyone has a problem sooner or later, you can't tell me that you've never asked for help once in your life.

By saying "us brute owners" well why don't you give him some help of how it got in not just bash him telling him to sell it.

Now maybe you didn't mean to bash him, none the less, what you said could have been worded differently.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off I just want to say thank you for all of the tips and input you people have given!!!! This place ROCKS you guys and gals are the greatest!!! So after a long days work I have tore the brute apart and put it back together....

FINDINGS:
1- Changed the oil and filter and added SEA FOAM. Ran for 5 minutes with occasional little revs. drained and changed oil and filter W/ other half of Sea Foam ran same way, drained and changed again ran and oil looks great!!
2- Rode bike around my community nice and easy for about a half hour... Smoked like heck for about ten or fifteen minutes but motor sounded clean and had nice response and Smoke finally cleared out by about 98 percent just a little puff here and there..
3- Got back to the house checked oil it looks beautiful. heres the bad part.... Pulled air box cover and it is soaked with oil inside the box. There is a little hole next to the carburetors in the air box and when the bike is running it is pushing out air and sputtering oil into the air box.. So what does that mean?? I mean with the little knowledge i have i would guess that hole is a crankcase vent and there is compression in the case which means the rings are gone?.?. rite or wrong?? Other than that the bike runs great no smoke nothing just oil being pushed up that little hole into the air box... Any ideas??
Thanks again everyone for the ideas and helping me make the best out of a bad situation!!!!

I have always said it and i will say it again

·
Registered
901 Posts
Check & make sure that you did not over fill it with oil. I would also change the oil & filter again in about 10 hrs. of running.

You're right...........

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds like a good time to take in in for some good ol warranty work. don't sell it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
do a compression check of both the front and rear cylinders, should be between 42 and 60 pounds....this will tell you if the rings are shot

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man you guys are awesome the feedback you get here is incredible!!! I havent figured out how the water got in but then again i do not know to much about what I am looking at. So if I am understanding this rite that little breather hole should have some air coming out but not oil.. rite?? I just checked and the oil is about a half inch above the full mark so it is overfull. IF the reason the brute is spitting oil is because it is overfilled then the bike may be ok or is there still something wrong?? what was all that smoke from?? is this something they normally do when getting water in them??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts