Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys long time lurker here, I run a small engine repair shop up in Alberta and have often used this site for getting info on Brutes when I'm working on one. I tried searching extensively for anyone that has a similar problem to this but didn't come up with much so I figured I'd post up a video of the sound I'm hearing and hoping someone else has come across it.

Sound is only on Decel and only when I abruptly let off the gas.

Have already checked the pinion nuts on the front and back, as well as engine mounts and propshafts and am honestly stumped at this point. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I tried running it without the actuator and the sound persisted, but I also noticed that if I step on the rear brake pedal then the noise diminishes noticeably.

·
Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I tried running it without the actuator and the sound persisted, but I also noticed that if I step on the rear brake pedal then the noise diminishes noticeably.
Then I have to say it's likely the rear pinion outer bearing retainer backed off. Its a common problem with many 750i Brutes. Do this- remove the rear drive line so you can see the splines on the pinion shaft. Now jack the rear end off the ground so both tires are off the ground. Sit by the right rear tire and affix your eyes on that shaft while bumping the tire back and forth just ever so slightly. If you see the shaft moving in and out (not talking about rotating) the retainer nut IS loose.. or the bearing has a problem. And that is what's wrong. Need to fix that before it toasts your ring and pinion and brake disks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I pulled the rear propshaft and turned the rear wheel back and forth slightly and noticed no in or out movement. I did however pull the front axles to inspect the joints and found that the left inner CV feels rough when you try to rotate it around. It doesn't feel smooth like the outer CV does it feels like it's binding on something inside like the ballbearings are riding on an uneven surface in the race. I've never had to deal with BF axles before but it still doesn't feel healthy to me? Also when you press on the joint while rotating it around it seems to bind even more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm going to go take a look at a new axle down at the local dealership and see if the roughness exists to the same degree. If it doesn't I guess I'll have my answer. Either way I'll let you guys know what I find out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts