Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just bought my first brute. 2021 750 EPS... im sure there's a 100 posts about this but I'm looking at upgrading the tires sooner than later... im just trying to decide on which is best for me, I will be plowing snow with the bike this winter, but through the riding season it will be a very mixed bag. Trails, dirt roads, hills, rocky areas, mud, hard packed dirt... just want something that will fit the all around terrain but not be too much weight as I've heard that heavy tires can be rough on the CVT belt.. any suggestions from some veteran riders would be awesome!

·
Super Moderator
13,746 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new Brute. They are sweet. There are so many choices out there now on tires it won't be easy. Everyone will have their opinion on the best but only you can decide what to try first...and I say that because you will be trying several over the next years. All I can say is that the Brute likes radials but not a deal breaker if not and IMO because you want to use it on trails, go to 26"...no more. After about 4 different sets on mine I ended up with GBC Grim Reapers. A heavy tire but excellent in all condition for my riding including snow..where they were so good, it was almost cheating. But a very directional tire so reversing-out of things was a bit.. interesting. I suggest narrowing it down to three, then read all the reviews you can stand...then make a decision. Good luck...you have some reading to do...lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I wasn't planning on lifting or modding the bike so I'd either stay stock 25s or jump up to 26 at most. I have been driving myself mad trying to figure out my best option. Radials seem like something I want to go for just for strength but keeping it in the 6ply range should help me cut weight, been looking at the swamp lite reptiles the last little while. I am also still interested in the bear claw HTR but I worry an 8 ply radial would be a drag.

·
Registered
Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth is what I drive but Kawasaki is what I RIDE
32 Posts
Since your Brute is new you have a lightweight set of Dunlaps. If you will see rough, trials with rocks, etc you a heavier tire for sure (more plys). The radial question depends on the riding habits and the kind of terrain. Radial tires are heavy and expensive. If you like to run at high speed I would recommend radials. Myself may do a few high speed bursts but in general I running around at 30 mph or lower. 26" Bias ply tires are fine for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats on your new Brute! You will love it. There are a LOT of good choices out there, pick out 3 or 4 and read all you can about them. I personally would go with a radial but that is up to you, but after having radials on mine I would not go back to a bias ply tire. I have the Bighorn tires on mine in a 25 and have been happy with them, good in everything except deep mud, but I'm not a mud rider so I don't care about that. If I was going to buy something else I would get either the Bear Claw HTR or the Grim Reapers. If you go with a 25 in any of these you will not have to worry about the weight. Your stock tires are probably only 24 inches high so even a true 25 will seem big compared to them. Good luck on what ever you decide to go with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since your Brute is new you have a lightweight set of Dunlaps. If you will see rough, trials with rocks, etc you a heavier tire for sure (more plys). The radial question depends on the riding habits and the kind of terrain. Radial tires are heavy and expensive. If you like to run at high speed I would recommend radials. Myself may do a few high speed bursts but in general I running around at 30 mph or lower. 26" Bias ply tires are fine for me.
Yeah im having a rough time deciding haha I'm always indecisive with these things. I havent spent much time on a bike in over 12 years and then it was just a bit here and there as I've never owned one myself. I don't plan on running too hard as I'm not much of a speed junkie, I was considering the mud lite or mud lite II if I went bias. But the stability and durability of a radial at 6 or 8 ply have me intrigued. So I think I've narrowed myself down to the mud lite or bear claws... I want something that can perform in mud if needed but will handle dirt roads or some asphalt running as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I think I've decided on the bear claw htr at stock size.. almost every review is good 4-5 star... itll be a few weeks before I dump that kind of cash. Looking at around $800 for the set

·
Super Moderator
GOD BLESS 🇺🇸
1,210 Posts
Welcome to forum. I think you’ll be pleased with the bear claw htr. I’ve rode with guys who have them and they perform very well. Post some pics after you get them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good decision on going with the Bear Claw HTR, let us know what you think after you get them and try them out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, I was recently in your same shoes and kinda still am as I never picked out a set of tires yet haha. I did quite a bit of research and put together a chart with the weight and true height measurement of every tire I was interested in and a few that I wasn't but were recommended a lot. The bear claw HTR's are on the top of my list. They are an 8 ply tire but weigh in at the same or less than most 6 ply's. Here's the link to the thread I posted with my data chart in it:

I was originally really leaning towards the Maxxis Cerros , Sedona Coyotes, or the Mud lite II tires. I eliminated the Coyotes and the mud lites because I decided I wanted a radial tire. Now I am kinda torn between the Sedona Mud Rebels, Kenda Bear Claw HTR's, and the Quadboss QBT446. I am pretty sure the Quadboss isn't going to make the cut though because they are the smallest (not true to size) and the heaviest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the Forum, I was recently in your same shoes and kinda still am as I never picked out a set of tires yet haha. I did quite a bit of research and put together a chart with the weight and true height measurement of every tire I was interested in and a few that I wasn't but were recommended a lot. The bear claw HTR's are on the top of my list. They are an 8 ply tire but weigh in at the same or less than most 6 ply's. Here's the link to the thread I posted with my data chart in it:

I was originally really leaning towards the Maxxis Cerros , Sedona Coyotes, or the Mud lite II tires. I eliminated the Coyotes and the mud lites because I decided I wanted a radial tire. Now I am kinda torn between the Sedona Mud Rebels, Kenda Bear Claw HTR's, and the Quadboss QBT446. I am pretty sure the Quadboss isn't going to make the cut though because they are the smallest (not true to size) and the heaviest.
Yeah I spent hours of time watching videos, looking at specs etc... thats why I landed on the BC HTR. A fella I work with has them on his 2019 brute and he loves em. Uses them all year round as he uses the bike to plow snow with. Which is also my plan when the nasty Canadian winter returns. He said it's had no trouble plowing over a foot of snow. Even heavy wet stuff. My only concern is traction on wet rocks, I've heard the stiffer tire doesn't perform as well in those conditions

·
Registered
Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth is what I drive but Kawasaki is what I RIDE
32 Posts
I havent spent much time on a bike in over 12 years and then it was just a bit here and there as I've never owned one myself.
Ha, yeah. I got into ATVs not too long ago after not being on one since I was a teenager. Talk about rediscovering my youth! Couple years ago my dad bought a 03 Kodiak of all things and realized it was just too hard for him to climb on and off of (he is in his 80s) so he gave it to us for his grandson. That was great but it was way out of tune and some things didn't work. Once I got everything fixed I took it for a test ride to check everything. I had a blast! I didn't want to park it. I had forgotten how much fun riding was. I decided I had to get one for myself. One thing I didn't like was the "put put put put" of a single cylinder so I wanted a twin. That meant Kawasaki.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I spent hours of time watching videos, looking at specs etc... thats why I landed on the BC HTR. A fella I work with has them on his 2019 brute and he loves em. Uses them all year round as he uses the bike to plow snow with. Which is also my plan when the nasty Canadian winter returns. He said it's had no trouble plowing over a foot of snow. Even heavy wet stuff. My only concern is traction on wet rocks, I've heard the stiffer tire doesn't perform as well in those conditions
They may slip a little more on wet smooth rocks than a softer tire would but I doubt they will be any harder than the stock tires that come on these. The stock Duros wear like iron but seem to grip just fine, with the added lug height of the HTR's giving you extra traction I doubt you will even notice unless you ride a lot of really smooth river rocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So with the bear claw HTRs being elusive in my area and grossly overpriced at the only shop I could get them at I decided to go without. Our local auto parts store has a decent selection of gear and tires so I ended up going with the kimpex trail trooper. 6 ply radial 25x8x12 and 25x10x12. They're a replica of the OG big horns and the fella there said all his customers have loved em. Just got them mounted today so I'll post how they perform after I get out for a run on them...

my only question is.. air pressure? The tire itself states 14psi.. seems like that'll be awfully hard going and perform poorly being that hard, being a radial am I still good to knock that down to 4 of 5 psi?

·
Registered
39 Posts
So with the bear claw HTRs being elusive in my area and grossly overpriced at the only shop I could get them at I decided to go without. Our local auto parts store has a decent selection of gear and tires so I ended up going with the kimpex trail trooper. 6 ply radial 25x8x12 and 25x10x12. They're a replica of the OG big horns and the fella there said all his customers have loved em. Just got them mounted today so I'll post how they perform after I get out for a run on them...

my only question is.. air pressure? The tire itself states 14psi.. seems like that'll be awfully hard going and perform poorly being that hard, being a radial am I still good to knock that down to 4 of 5 psi?
View attachment 8218
I have 25" Bighorns and I have been running 5 psi in mine, since they are a replica of the Bighorns I would start there and see what you think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 25" Bighorns and I have been running 5 psi in mine, since they are a replica of the Bighorns I would start there and see what you think.
That's what I was thinking but wanted some input. I left them at 14psi for now since it's just parked and figured I'd Lower it to 5psi and run a short trail to my friends house! Thanks for the advice nbbfman!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks good. That's super annoying to go through all the research of what tire you want and then just get stuck with what's locally available though. I would start with 5 psi and see how they feel. If you try them at 14 might want to take a kidney belt with you lol. Typically the max pressure listed on ATV tires are not the recommended running pressure but the max bead seating pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts