Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my rear right axle on my 2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 today. It had a busted boot. I know I didn't need to replace the whole axle but I did anyways. However once I got everything back together, the rear right wheel emits a popping noise when turning right. Anyone have any ideas of what I may have did wrong or why this is happening?

·
Super Moderator
14,100 Posts
I replaced my rear right axle on my 2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 today. It had a busted boot. I know I didn't need to replace the whole axle but I did anyways. However once I got everything back together, the rear right wheel emits a popping noise when turning right. Anyone have any ideas of what I may have did wrong or why this is happening?
1. When you installed the axle did you make sure it snapped in place..ie the cir-clip went all the way through to the inner landing?
2. As there were some spline differences, did you check that the hub fit the splines correctly and the axle seated against the wheel bearings?
3. Are you sure you torqued the axle nut to that..really high number outlined in the manual as well as the knuckle bolts?
4. Are you sure the lug nuts got tightened correctly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. When you installed the axle did you make sure it snapped in place..ie the cir-clip went all the way through to the inner landing?
2. As there were some spline differences, did you check that the hub fit the splines correctly and the axle seated against the wheel bearings?
3. Are you sure you torqued the axle nut to that..really high number outlined in the manual as well as the knuckle bolts?
4. Are you sure the lug nuts got tightened correctly?
Please bear with me. I'm not very technically inclined.
1. I do believe that it snapped in place. The end going into the thing that makes it go was flush with that. Now the other end going out to the tire, I'm not exactly sure if there was a point where it snapped into place.
2. Going to look at that tomorrow.
3 and 4. I did not. I hand tightened them without checking so I will do that tomorrow as well. I do not have my original manual. Would you happen to be able to point me towards an online one?

·
Super Moderator
14,100 Posts
Please bear with me. I'm not very technically inclined.
1. I do believe that it snapped in place. The end going into the thing that makes it go was flush with that. Now the other end going out to the tire, I'm not exactly sure if there was a point where it snapped into place.
2. Going to look at that tomorrow.
3 and 4. I did not. I hand tightened them without checking so I will do that tomorrow as well. I do not have my original manual. Would you happen to be able to point me towards an online one?
On #1, you would have slammed it into the gear case and it would not just slide back out. They may also have had you use the old cir-clip...maybe not.

The torque is extremely important. You have to have a torque wrench. The link below is to my copy of the 650i service manual. Download it...it's a good read. It will answer all questions. You are welcome. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts