Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new belt on my 2012 Brute Force 750. (Kawasaki 59011-0019 CVT BELT). It seems to make more noise than what I remember from the belt I replaced. I did not replace the drive pulley bolt just reused the old one. The belt seemed a bit loose to me but I checked the belt deflection and it looks like it is within the specs. Here is what it sounds and looks like now. Do I need to do something with this?

IMG_6035

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Nickel
Automotive tire Gear Ruler Rim Wood
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Tread

·
Administrator
14,589 Posts
Defection is measured from the top of the belt..both with the straight edge spanning both clutch center lines and the measuring device used to deflect it at the center point between the two clutches. Your straight edge is on top of the belt and your measuring device is down between the cogs..and to the side of the belt, not the center. And it must be measured in Millimeters- 22-27mm is the range and 23mm cold is the target. Just guessing from the looks of it...its way off. Also, what I hear in the video is warn shoes in the primary, not belt noise.

I use this to measure deflection. Center on belt, make sure it's on top of a cog, apply a few pounds of pressure and lock it to the straight edge. Then measure from the tip to the straight edge with a caliper that measures millimeters.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It looks like I don't have the necessary tools to replace the shoes so I will have to come up with a plan for that. I will measure the belt deflection again.

·
Administrator
14,589 Posts
Thanks. It looks like I don't have the necessary tools to replace the shoes so I will have to come up with a plan for that. I will measure the belt deflection again.
There are vids on YT on taking it apart without the tool but I just took mine in to the shop and had them rebuild it for me. About 200 bucks and I got a near-new clutch back.

·
Registered
559 Posts
That belt is loose. You need to disassemble the secondary clutch to remove or add shims to properly adjust that belt.
Take secondary clutch apart and remove the thinnist shim - set the belt in the secondary clutch sheaves and see how far the belt cogs are above the edge of the sheave surface. Should be about 1/16" - 3/32" sticking above the sheaves.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check the belt and remove the shim. I had it in for service and asked them specifically to look at the belt for me and they told me it was fine. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
14,589 Posts
I will check the belt and remove the shim. I had it in for service and asked them specifically to look at the belt for me and they told me it was fine. Thanks for the help.
There's a big gap between what's "fine" and what's "right" with Kawasaki. Right is 23-24mm deflection cold.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Also, what I hear in the video is warn shoes in the primary, not belt noise.
Aside from the noise, are there any other indicators, or a certain mileage, that the shoes should be replaced in the primary? I'm at about 2,100 miles on my 2012. Getting ready to replace the belt again (last replaced at 1,000 miles) and wondering if I should rebuild the primary while I'm in there.

·
Administrator
14,589 Posts
Aside from the noise, are there any other indicators, or a certain mileage, that the shoes should be replaced in the primary? I'm at about 2,100 miles on my 2012. Getting ready to replace the belt again (last replaced at 1,000 miles) and wondering if I should rebuild the primary while I'm in there.
Just grab the manual and a set of feeler gauges and check the wear. As I recall its a bit tricky as they want a certain gap on all sides of the towers but..not that hard to do one leg at a time. One will probably tell the story well enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts