Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Long time never but have not been around in many years. I used to have a 08 650i and 09 750i.

I just picked up a new 2021 in the black/grey camo and it has EPS. This is my first with power steering and I'm not so sure how it works. Is it progressive unit as in it only comes on when driving or when at a dead stop should I be able to easily turn the wheels. Currently it feels like my old bikes as I don't notice the enhanced steering. There Are no lights on when the quad is running. When just turning the key on all the lights go on and off but the eps stays lit.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Glad to see you back Wildman. Well, there has been some discussion about the new PS systems. Some don't think they work at all where others say it's night and day between one without PS. Kawasaki has made some changes to their systems sense 2015 although the extent is not clearly documented. Some say not only are they speed sensitive which they have been from the start is 2012, but now they are actually off when not moving or so minimal they feel like they are off. I don't have first-hand experience...only what people have said. Surely there is some info on them somewhere. I'll take a look around and see what I find. In the meantime congrats on the new Brute and welcome back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see you back Wildman. Well, there has been some discussion about the new PS systems. Some don't think they work at all where others say it's night and day between one without PS. Kawasaki has made some changes to their systems sense 2015 although the extent is not clearly documented. Some say not only are they speed sensitive which they have been from the start is 2012, but now they are actually off when not moving or so minimal they feel like they are off. I don't have first-hand experience...only what people have said. Surely there is some info on them somewhere. I'll take a look around and see what I find. In the meantime congrats on the new Brute and welcome back.
Thanks for the welcome back. This is actually my wife's brute.

I would think that with power steering when you are not moving that it should be super simple to turn the wheels. It's just as hard as no EPS to turn the wheels on this. Hoping you or someone else can shed some light on the subject

·
Super Moderator
GOD BLESS 🇺🇸
1,203 Posts
Welcome back. This is interesting. Like NMKR said, we’ve discussed this recently. I admit that I haven’t sat still and tried to turn the handle bars to test the power steering. Like in a car, I’m only turning the wheels if I’m moving. I can definitely tell the EPS is working on my 2017. I can only compare to my old 2009 Brute 750, and the difference is obvious to me.

·
Registered
2017 Kaw Brute Force 750 EPS - 2017 Suzuki King Quad 400
11 Posts
Hello everyone. Long time never but have not been around in many years. I used to have a 08 650i and 09 750i.

I just picked up a new 2021 in the black/grey camo and it has EPS. This is my first with power steering and I'm not so sure how it works. Is it progressive unit as in it only comes on when driving or when at a dead stop should I be able to easily turn the wheels. Currently it feels like my old bikes as I don't notice the enhanced steering. There Are no lights on when the quad is running. When just turning the key on all the lights go on and off but the eps stays lit.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Yep...same as my 2017 that I bought brand new 3 years ago. I've been researching this issue for 3 years. Very little info on it. The EPS sucks. I will never buy another from Kaw unless I can test drive it first and be satisfied. I can not feel any assist what so ever (now or when it was new). It was my first new quad I've ever owned. I've always owned junkers in the past and this one steered so well in comparison to my junkers that I didn't mind not having steering assist at the time. Had it back to the dealer couple times. They say the EPS is working and that you don't want steering assist on a quad. Waste of money in my opinion. Especially when that option is in the thousand dollar range. Personally, I would get your money back if you can. There are quads out there that you can steer with one hand (almost 2 fingers) very comfortably. The Brute Force is not one of them. Even one of the off road magazines did a review (cant remember which one). Its on youtube somewhere. They gave the bike good reviews. But if you listen closely, they do say they were disappointed by the amount of steering assist the quad had.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the EPS light stays on while the quad is running then it is detecting that there is something wrong with the system and most likely turning it off. The EPS light should light up when you first start it and then turn off.

I personally have been a little disappointed with the amount of power steering assist on the Brute as well. My wife's 2009 Grizzly 700 can easily be steered one handed and really helps out at lower speeds but tapers off at higher speeds. With that said, on my 2020 Brute, I can tell a difference in the steering if I have it sitting in my garage turned off and crank the wheels side to side then start it and do the same thing it is literally half the effort. The bump steer when out riding is also significantly reduced compared to any of my previous quads without power steering. So mine is working, just not as much as I would have expected it to be. I was anticipating more of how my Grizzly feels. My brother-in-laws 2012 Brute 750 feels like it has more assist at lower speeds than my 2020. I have also noticed that if I am on a really rocky section of trail, it seems like the dampening on the Brute is almost to aggressive and the steering starts to over correct itself and jump back and forth.

I have loved Kawi quads in the past; I have owned 2 different Prairie 650's, ridden multiple Brute Force's over the years, and had multiple family members own Brute Force 750's. They have always been reliable and dependable and that is why I went with a Kawi BUT honestly I am having some buyers remorse over this purchase. It seems that Kawi has given up on their ATV line and only keep them around as a token category. They have not significantly changed the Brute 750 over the last 10 years and it is starting to show. I am starting to think I should have went with a company like Can-am that is still invested in and improving their ATV lines. Plus I have already had two warranty claims on this quad before even reaching 10 hours of use on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the EPS light stays on while the quad is running then it is detecting that there is something wrong with the system and most likely turning it off. The EPS light should light up when you first start it and then turn off.

I personally have been a little disappointed with the amount of power steering assist on the Brute as well. My wife's 2009 Grizzly 700 can easily be steered one handed and really helps out at lower speeds but tapers off at higher speeds. With that said, on my 2020 Brute, I can tell a difference in the steering if I have it sitting in my garage turned off and crank the wheels side to side then start it and do the same thing it is literally half the effort. The bump steer when out riding is also significantly reduced compared to any of my previous quads without power steering. So mine is working, just not as much as I would have expected it to be. I was anticipating more of how my Grizzly feels. My brother-in-laws 2012 Brute 750 feels like it has more assist at lower speeds than my 2020. I have also noticed that if I am on a really rocky section of trail, it seems like the dampening on the Brute is almost to aggressive and the steering starts to over correct itself and jump back and forth.

I have loved Kawi quads in the past; I have owned 2 different Prairie 650's, ridden multiple Brute Force's over the years, and had multiple family members own Brute Force 750's. They have always been reliable and dependable and that is why I went with a Kawi BUT honestly I am having some buyers remorse over this purchase. It seems that Kawi has given up on their ATV line and only keep them around as a token category. They have not significantly changed the Brute 750 over the last 10 years and it is starting to show. I am starting to think I should have went with a company like Can-am that is still invested in and improving their ATV lines. Plus I have already had two warranty claims on this quad before even reaching 10 hours of use on it.
To be honest, I do not think they have really made any significant changes in 15 years. It's really essentially the same quad as always with minor updates and a updated plastic 10 years ago. I still think its the best quad out there behind the can am. They could really improve the power steering though. I'm very disappointed in that if this is how it works. It might as well not be there because I honestly cannot tell the difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To be honest, I do not think they have really made any significant changes in 15 years. It's really essentially the same quad as always with minor updates and a updated plastic 10 years ago. I still think its the best quad out there behind the can am. They could really improve the power steering though. I'm very disappointed in that if this is how it works. It might as well not be there because I honestly cannot tell the difference.
Wildman, If you consult the dealer about the EPS, please let me / us know what they say. When I bought my Brute Force, the only other option I had in mind was a Can Am. I still love my Brute. I would be willing to attempt to modify my EPS somehow if I knew I could reliably increase the steering assist.

·
Registered
Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth is what I drive but Kawasaki is what I RIDE
20 Posts
That is one option I would love to have on my '05 Brute. Steering is heavy on this quad. When I ride our '03 Kodiak 400 I'm amazed how easy the steering is. But is that a fair comparison? Likely not.
One thing that is discussed a on truck forums a lot is how much everyone hates EPS. (electric power steering). The Issue the steering "feel" is completely damped out of the steering. You have no road feel whatsoever.
A EPS system like this on a quad would be dangerous because you NEED some sense of road/trail feel to ride safely.
So I think the design idea is more of an "assisted steering" rather than full power steering. It does take some steering effort from the driver but it shouldn't be so heavy it wears you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My cousin has a Honda Forman. At idle and slow speeds, you can steer with 2 fingers. No reason the Brute couldn't either. I really wanted it for backing up a trailer or at slow forward speeds. No reason assist could be reduced at higher speeds for safety.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pretty much every manufacturer has stronger power steering assist at low speeds than Kawasaki does. My 2009 Grizzly 700 can easily be steered one handed whereas my 2020 Brute is easier than a non EPS model but still only gives about half as much assistance as the grizzly does. It seems to have been a pretty common complaint since their very first EPS model came out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts