Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Need new wheels and tires that won't break the bank

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  turnkyle 
#1 ·
My 2017 Brute Force 750 Special Edition was still running stock (aluminum 25/10/12 in the back and 25/8/12 in the front).. Until the ride last night. Aggressive riding and rocks bent a rim past the functioning point. Took it off today and attempted to hammer it back in place, the aluminum didn’t like it and it cracked. The other 3 wheels are pretty dinged up from frequent use on gnarly trails, and the tread on my tires are pretty worn. Lucky my buddy had a spare set from his brute and he is letting me use them for our big Annual Thanksgiving Ride, but I need to replace it all and hopefully slightly upgrade.

Looking for some recommendations, since Christmas is coming up and I’m known to be a little rough on my equipment I’d rather not break the bank… I’m more worried about budget and getting back out than having the best possible item, but I don’t want complete junk either… something a little better than stock would be great!

The trails by me are pretty rough and very rocky (but extremely fun), it can get muddy all year and decent amounts of snow in the winter. None of this is an issue with the stock stuff except the rocks. We do some road riding, both paved and gravel, but most of it in on these rocky ass trails. I like to go fast and to try the hard route. I could use a little more clearance but don’t want to lose the speed and agility, no interest in lifting. Guessing I shouldn’t go higher than 26. Thinking steel wheels might be a better option given the terrain I’m on. Don’t know much about what brand / style would be best for my trails.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well...what's the budget? Have to decide on that first. But from what you just said, stock...or anything like stock isn't cutt'n it. You need some real tires..8-ply or better with decent rim guards and you need some wheels that meet the challenge. Most any quality name brand wheel will be fine...and yes, go to a 26" tire. And sence you will be changing all, go square...that is all wheels and tires the same. Make them 26x10s and put them all of 14x7 wheels with 5+2 offsets. The tires...well...it's not like the old days when there were just a few decent ones to look at. Now you have a mind-numbing number to look at. Stick with the name brands like GBC, Kendra, ITP, Maxxis, Interco, Sedona...ect. Just remember, cut'n corners or going too cheap is just going to leaver you walking back...find the funds to get decent rubber between you and those rocks...you will thank yourself.

#3 ·
Don't have a specific budget. It's just from most of what i've read most recommendations are for the best possible tires. I can't see myself paying over 100 for each tire then whatever to costs for the wheels too, especially with Christmas right around the corner.

#5 ·
When I was looking for tires earlier this year the Kenda bear claw htr and the ITP Terra cross r/t were at the top of list for budget tires that still had really good reviews and have been around for a while. If you don't mind bias ply tires, I've had really good luck with the original ITP mud lites as a general all around tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.