Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I'm new here and wanted to ask for some suggestions on tire sizes. I have searched and debated on tires and I think I'm pretty confident that Kenda Bear Claws HTR are the ones for me. The one thing that I have noticed while shopping for these tires is that the 27" tall only come in a 12" rim, as the 26" tall come in 12" and 14" rim sizes. I thought maybe I should go with the 27" tall for a little more ground clearance, but since they are only available for a 12" rim I feel that they may have too much sidewall slop. I found the quad in the attached thumbnail while doing my search. He specified that they are 27" tall bear claws on a 25" rim. However, the rears look to me that they could be the same width as the front (9" width on all 4 wheels?), making the rears look less puffy (9" wide on all 4?). Anyone else agree or have suggestions of the widths in the picture? He also stated he has a 12" lift, which i considered, but don't want to take too much of my handling away for fast trail riding or sport riding. I"m not a mudder! Would a 2" lift hinder it ALOT from just casual trail riding? Any suggestions on size, tire widths or lift is very much appreciated. Once I settle with a decision and get them mounted i plan on posting before and after pics. Thanks for a great forum that is very helpful.

UPDATE: the attached thumbnail photo has the orignal Bear Claws and not the newer radial HTR's. He is running 27x9x12 tires with ITP SS212 rims on all 4 wheels. The 2 inch lift is because he prefers mud riding or maybe some swamp style riding. Which I don't, so I will not be lifting my machine, also I will be going with a 25" or 26" tire.

The thumbnail is for reverence only, and is not my machine!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
NMK will know better, but I'm pretty sure if you get the right rims you don't need a lift for 27" tires. 26 or 27 is personal preference. With the 26" tire it will probably feel more nimble for trail ridng and sport riding. 9 & 11 would be more appropriate than same width all the way around.

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
I'm guessing these are for your 2014 so clutching won't be an issue up to 28s. The pic shoes the same wheels..12"x 7" with what may be the same size front and back..but probably not as looks are deceiving enough. What wheels will you be using? And just for the record, I once feed-into that premise that the 14" was better for trails and handling because of the reduced side wall. Not true...at least up to 28" but then no trail rider would use a 28" anyway. If you do want the best for trails, you won';t go over 27" in fact you won't go over 26". That extra 1/2" clearance will cost you several HP and add maybe 4lbs of rotational mass robbing power and response that your Brute has now. I would do the 26" and not worry about the wheel size...had both..liked both. But..I would NOT go any wider on back then 11s not wider on front then 9s. However with the EPS and if I had the same size wheels front and back I would consider 10" wides on all four. In fact if I replace my wheels on my Z that is what I will be doing.

As for what tire...that's all up to you. Do your research, read the reviews...and pull the trigger. All will have their +s and -s.

Oh and by the way..NO lifts. Only mudders need them for tires larger then 28".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks

Very awesome help! You shined a lot of light on my decision. Answering some of your questions- Yes this it's for the machine in my Sig (2014 with eps). I'm not sure which wheels yet, but i'm leaning toward ITP because their made in the USA (QS9000 standard) or maybe MSA. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
Very awesome help! You shined a lot of light on my decision. Answering some of your questions- Yes this it's for the machine in my Sig (2014 with eps). I'm not sure which wheels yet, but i'm leaning toward ITP because i like the sounds of their quality (QS9000 standard) or maybe MSA. Any suggestions? I like your idea of running 10" all the way around as I do have the EPS. As stated before I'm going with the Bear Claw HTR, but the rims are still up for suggestions! Thanks

So just to be clear. My tire decision will probably be the HTR's 26x10x12 on all 4 wheels. still a little confused if I should do 9's or 10's in the front.
The 10s are pushing it a little but should be OK with the 26s. Your wheel offset will be important. Remember, it's an IRS so you must always have the second number equal to or less then the first...as in 4+3, 4+4, 5+2,5+3 but a 7" is fine for up to 11". The 4+3 is always a safe bet. It will be a little wider then the stocks but you want that for stability plus it will get it away from the winch a bit more in a full turn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok. Then maybe I will go with 26" tall, 9" width up front, and 11" width in the back.

update: ugg. im having a problem finding the tires and wheels at the same place. I have a $96 credit at RM ATV, but they don't carry the HTR's. I could get the rims there, but every time I find a rim it doesn't come in my size 12x7 (everything I like is 14"). I may just go with the 12x7 ITP ss212 machine finished, but i'm afraid of them pitting while i'm in the snow with the plow. Would this finish be ok in the snow? Motosport has HTR's.

decisions, decisions....been doing a lot of thinking and may be going with the 25x10x12 and 25x9x12 tire. less weight. And, the ITP ss212 25x7's only weigh 9.5 pounds and have a superb quality rating. I'm still not out of the woods...still double guessing the 26'' tall before I pull the trigger!
UPDATE: wow. the bear claw htr's rear 25x8x12" weighs 5.3 lb.s per tire less than the 26x11x12. Thats a total of 10.6 lbs. more!
The fronts 25x8x12 weigh 20.9 vs. 26x9x12 weigh 23.5 . which is a difference of approx. 5 pounds for both tires. 26" tires combined front and back would be about 15.5 lbs. Thats just too much of a difference! I think this is enough to make me decide on 25"!

also figured out that the the tires in the thumbnail in my earlier post are the original bear claws (not the htr). He stated hes running 27". well bear claw only offers a 9" wide in the 27" tall tire. So he's using 27x9x12 on all 4 wheels. He also stated in his post (https://www.brutecentral.com/forums/brute-tire-wheel-combos/16140-26-inch-tires-2.html) that hes a mudder, so this makes sense in his case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have edited my earlier posts to give future followers a clearer understanding of my questions and findings.

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
Man..don't worry about a few pounds..the Brute can handle it. Yes, there will be some loss with any aftermarket tire...but the gains are worth it...and if kept reasonable, it won't be noticeable. These won't be the last set of tires you will buy anyway. Shoot in 4800 miles mine had 5 sets...and none even started to wear before I got something else...except the Reapers. They were the best I ever had..in everything and were the last set.

Take a look at Discount tire. They usually have the best prices and..they can get most anything.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation NMKAWIERIDER.

I've had 2 Brute's in the past, My favorite quad. Loved the sporty feel of these torque monsters. As you mention Grim Reapers are a good tough all around tire. They aren't a sexy as some but comfortable and hard to stop.

myrz, let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Grim Reapers

Thanks guys! The Grim Reapers does look interesting. I thought I had my mind made up, but I'm going to take these into consideration. It seems that the ITP SS alloy series are popular maybe because they have several different choices in the 12x7. But, as far as other brands, I'm almost tempted to go with a 14" rim because there seems to be more choices in that size, One in particular that I like is the MSA M26 Vibe or Diesel wheel.

Being in the midwest it would make more sense to have two different sets for winter and summer, but Im not looking to spend that much money, so I need to make up my mind what style riding is more important. To be honest though, I want something thats going to look good too. I'm afraid if I go too big or wide, that they will get that puffy side wall look, which i don't like.

I realize these probably won't be my last tires, but I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck.

After I make up my mind I will PM discount tire to check for availability and prices!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks guys! The Grim Reapers do look very interesting. I thought I had my mind made up, but I'm going to take these into consideration. It seems that the ITP SS alloy series are popular maybe because they have several different choices in the 12x7. But, as far as other brands, I'm almost tempted to go with a 14" rim because there seems to be more choices in that size, One in particular that I like is the MSA M26 Vibe or Diesel wheel.

As far as weight, I'm trying to keep it down because If i were to go with a 14" alloy and 26x11x14 tire in the rear and 9"in the front the weight seems to get significantly higher than 12x7 wheels with tires. On the other hand, being in the midwest, I would like the taller tire for a little more ground clearance, especially while snow plowing in the winter months. I found that the 14" MSA M26 Vibe or Diesel rim is only a couple more pounds per wheel than the SS alloy, But since the rims are 14" I would go with a bigger tire which gains extra weight.

Being in the midwest it would make more sense to have two different sets for winter and summer, but Im not looking to spend that much money, so I need to make up my mind what style riding is more important. To be honest though, I want something thats going to look good too. I'm afraid if I go too big or wide, that they will get that puffy side wall look, which i don't like.

I realize these probably won't be my last tires, but I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck.

After I make up my mind I will PM discount tire to check for availability and prices!
We look forward to hearing from you and if you have any questions about availability or weight, let us know and we'll be happy to help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I"m reading that the bear claw htrs run about .5 taller, and that the Grim Reapers run about an inch shorter than the specified height. As an example: a grim reaper 27" would actually be 26". can anyone confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
I"m reading that the bear claw htrs run about .5 taller, and that the Grim Reapers run about an inch shorter than the specified height. As an example: a grim reaper 27" would actually be 26". can anyone confirm this?
Not true for the Reapers. My 26" Grim Reapers were 26.25" new for the front and 26.50" for the rear. Had I put 10s on the rear it would have been the same.

The reality is if people would measure their tires off the vehicle.. and on the correct width wheel and with the air pressure stated by the manufacturer, they would all be pretty darn close. But they don't. They mount them on too wide or narrow wheels and only 5 or so lbs and then set the weight of the vehicle on them..then measure from floor to the top of the tire. Then they ***** when it shows different then the manufacturer says.

The pics above were on the Brute, with about 6lbs and on the ground...but measured across the center from side to side with a drywall square.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
reaper vs bear claw htr comparison

GRIM REAPER SPECS.
size======tread dept==weight===max load(lbs)
23"
23-8R-12===7/8========20.2======470
23-10R-12==7/8========23.1======530

25"
25-8R-12== 7/8========22.7======450
25-10R-12==7/8========26.0======550

26"
26-9R-12===7/8=======26.0=======560
26-11R-12===7/8======30.0=======700
26-9R-14====.93 inch===26========N/A
26-11R-14===.93 inch===31.2=======N/A

27"- 14"
27-9R-14===5/16======27.8=======1075
27-11R-14==15/16=====32.8========1120

28" - 14"
28-10R-14 ==15/16=====31.3======= 1200
$139.80

30" - 14"
30-10R-14 ==15/16=====33.7=======1360

32" - 14"
32-10R-14 ==15/16=====42.0=======1360

KENDA BEAR CLAW HTR
Size===Tread depth==Weight==Max load(lbs.)
25"
25-8R-12===13/16====20.9=======340
25-10R-12==13/16====25.3=======420

26"
26-9R-12===7/8=====23.5========408
26-11R-12==7/8=====31.0========481

26" - 14"
26-9R-14===7/8=====25.0========396
26-11R-14==7/8=====29.4========465

27"
27-9R-12===7/8=====25.0========440
27-11R-12== 7/8=====31.4========494

28"
28-9R-14===7/8=====25.7========N/A
28-11R-14===7/8====34.1========N/A

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
comparison

Both are a 8 ply tire. The Reaper is close to the same weight, but is rated for carrying a significantly higher weight load than the HTR!! The Reaper comes in a variety of sizes compared to the HTR's!

I can't believe that the Reaper 27x9x14 weighs only 27.8 lbs, but its weight load is rated at 1075 lbs.!!!!

The Bear Claw HTR 27x9x12 weighs 25 lbs. and it's weight load is only 440 lbs.!!

Thats only 2.8 lb. difference in tire weight, but over 500 lbs. in weight load! How could this be when the HTR 27x12 tire has more side wall than the Reapers 27x14???

Another thing I found odd is that the Bear Claw HTR does not come in a 27 inch tall in 14" rims. It comes with a 26" for 14" rims, but not 27"!!

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
The HTR is a well liked and trusted tire and most everyone finds it pretty good everywhere. The Reaper is also a loved and trusted tire but there are some that found their conditions were better suited for something else. I can say from my experience and riding conditions the Reapers were the best tire I ever had on my Brute. Great in all conditions I rode in including mud,sand,rock, fast trails, shale and snow..snow..it was almost cheating it did so well. But they are very directional. Forward they are like torquing into the material like a cork screw...but in reverse it's like..well..backing out a cork screw..less then half the traction. I had the 26s on the Brute, 9s on front and 11s on back on 14" wheels and ran about 4-5psi in them. Never had a flat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Size???

The HTR is a well liked and trusted tire and most everyone finds it pretty good everywhere. The Reaper is also a loved and trusted tire but there are some that found their conditions were better suited for something else. I can say from my experience and riding conditions the Reapers were the best tire I ever had on my Brute. Great in all conditions I rode in including mud,sand,rock, fast trails, shale and snow..snow..it was almost cheating it did so well. But they are very directional. Forward they are like torquing into the material like a cork screw...but in reverse it's like..well..backing out a cork screw..less then half the traction. I had the 26s on the Brute, 9s on front and 11s on back on 14" wheels and ran about 4-5psi in them. Never had a flat.

UPDATE: oops I did find the Reapers in a 26x14, which I didn't list in my earlier post ! I edited my comparison post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reverse traction issue that you mention concerns me. I like to play in the snow and plow, which I would need a tire with good reverse traction.

·
Super Moderator
13,286 Posts
Tires will only have so much traction. You can focus it in one direction or split it 50/50. Any non-directional will be that way...line the ITP TeraCross. I actually didn't mean the Reapers reverse traction was poor...just vastly different then forward. I got out of many a snow drift with a little rock'n and reverse with the Reapers and they don't trench-in so fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Narrowed down to two tires and sizes

Well I have to make up my mind. The rims choice is MSA 14" vibe wheel with either Bear Claw 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 or Grim Reapers 27x9x14 and 27x11x14. The Bear Claws do not come in a 27x14, and the MSA Vibes only come in a 14" wheel.
UPDATE:
I think I have finally made up my mind to go with the 26" Bear Claws with the Vibe wheels. The thumbnail gives an idea of what the combination will look like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts