Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to buy an air compressor. Looking for suggestions.

I want to run a 3/4" impact, 3/8" ratchet and a small die grinder. If I can run a DA sander and a paint gun that'd be a plus.

Would prefer a 110v but can wire 220v if I have to.

I want to spend less than $500.00.

I know the direct-drive oil-free compressors are a lot noisier and don't last as long. On the cheap end of the range, Harbor Freight has a 21-gallon direct drive model with an oiled automotive-style piston. Would that be any quieter than an oil-free direct drive?

If I have to settle for just running the impact and ratchet and airing up tires, that would still be an improvement over where I am now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LOL.. a bit too far. About 8 hours and 450 miles. It'd cost me almost $150 in gas. I can buy the HF compressor for that much. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My back gets pretty tweaked loosening lug nuts on the SUV and stuff like that. Ideally I want to do some bodywork, though, so I probably need to man up and buy a big compressor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love Sam's, but it seems like they only have small, portable ones or the big, $800 two-stage. I'm kind of wanting something in-between.

Gonna' keep scanning the classifieds for a used one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two-stage Ingersoll-Rand? Yeah, well, if I had the coin I would go for it. Gonna' have to aim just a bit lower for now. ;)

·
0 Posts
Home Depot or Lowe's.

They have the cast iron 80gallonish compressors that will drive all those tools. not officially drive them based on their required CFM ratings but I've tried it and they work just fine

I think mine was $449?

They look just like monkeys but are about 1/3 the price.

And for the duty cycle you will be putting them through will be just fine.

bolt them down to a 4x4 platform to make it easy to access the drain plug (do that *constantly*) and they will last a long time.

H

·
0 Posts
lol...okay so someone has one bigger than mine :eek:

I had bought mine from Home depot when they started carrying them....had bought the 5 hp but they loaded up the 7.5 hp....and no I didn't point it out to them :paranoid: plus IR was running a special...buy the compressor and they'd send you a nice 1/2" drive impact free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts