Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need some advice I rebuilt my 06 brute force 750 most of engine is new I dropped a valve in front cylinder made carnage bent rod wiped out cylinder head n piston lots of pieces so I order rebuild kit jugs cylinders rods crank n got a good used head put new valves in both heads lapped in easy new valve springs n keepers new timing chains put it all together n tested good on bench good compression valve lashes right timming marks lined up right whole nine yards seemed good put it. It runs starts easy no smoke good power brute valves wont stay in spec I have two hours on engine n I've adjusted valves 3 times they keep coming out of spec n chattering but neither tappets or lock nut is loose from rocker arm like there backing out n it's doing it on both cylinders not just the cylinder that detonated any advice would be great I've rebuilt quite a few other motors from lawn mowers to v8s never ran into anything like this please help both rocker boxes n rockers are original but no sign of wear or damage please help

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
Aside from any structural issues with the valve itself and assuming you are on TDC of the compression stroke when setting the valves, there are only a few other reasons for the lash to change quickly. Now if it depleted quickly is was usually because the valve sunk into the seats faster then normal and that was because of three reasons-one the hardness of the seat or valve face and/or the seat angle which they found was a problem a while back, or the ingestion of fine dust which would grind the seats to hell every time it closed on some. Gaining lash of getting loose quicker then normal was usually a sign of a lack of lubrication and mostly on the cam lobe surfaces as it would wear through the hard surfacing of the rocker and the cam causing the gap to increase. The tappet would wear as well but not as fast. Other wear would also occur on the cam bearing surfaces and rocker pivots so check the oil flow to all of it. Make sure you didn't mix-up any parts of the heads and castings with each other as they must stay together. Some oil ports may not be lining up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok it's something I can check I'm going to pull the rocker boxes tonight n reinspect everything I dnt think its a lack of lubercation cause I have oil laying on top of head n I tried running it with the acsess covers off n it was throwing oil everywhere as far as the rocker boxes and oil tubes they were reinstalled on same cylinders they came off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys thanks force the advice I figured it out what was going on I was setting clearances to loose I was using my old cheep set of fealer gauges n they were to wide the thickness was correct but because blade was to wide it was sitting on valve and the iner lip of the rocker box were the bolt is in the acsses hole so it put the gauge on an angle n I'd feel drag but it wasn't at correct spec I brought my thinner set home from work reset it correctly everything seems good now hopefully my struggling will help someone in the future

1 - 5 of 5 Posts