Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing your KFX is road registered in UK, am I right?

Andy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kenny, first of all I was going to send you a PM but I thought I'd do this on the site because I think some of the guys might find it interesting reading.

What I need if possible is for you to fax me a copy of your logbook! arrrgh I hear you say :lol: Can I assure you I'm not going to come and claim your bike :D Most of the guys on this site and many more on KR will tell you I'm an ok guy and been around for a long time.

Ok why do I want your logbook, here goes. Over here in Cyprus they didn't join the EU untill a couple of years ago, both the ministry of transport and the government are in the dark ages and love to make the rules up thereselves, they want to be EU members but by there rules :angry: Anyway, I ran my own ATV business here and bought in new quads with COC (certificate of conformity) documentation this is what was required to legally register the bikes for road use. Now as it stands they will only allow new ATV's with COC's to be registered for road use. So having spent a fortune on my bike and would do anything to get it registered on the road I want to challenge there system and this is how I intend to do it.
Your bike is legally registered within an EU country so as it stands you should be able to move freely throughout Europe on your bike and wherever you decide to reside you should be able to re-register your bike in that country, so that being the case I want to show them a valid UK logbook tell them I've purchased this bike in the UK and ask if it's OK for me to bring it in the country and register it, they shouldn't by law be able to refuse. If they agree my plan is then to ship my bike back to the UK get one of the aftermarket companys to convert it for road use, register it in the UK then ship it back here and then register it here, yes it does sound long winded but it would be worth it in the end. I hope all this makes sense and that you can see my point and if you could help I'd appreciate it. In no way will your logbook be used for any official legal act it's just simply to show and ask the questions to find the answers and maybe insite the odd argument :D
Let me know if you would like to help, if not I understand, once again you can PM KTM265 (Ray) or any of the major guys and they will all vouch for me, I hope :ninja:

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
re-log book

Hi Andy

I don't have problem copying my log book for you - if only I could find it. I have been hunting for it since recieving your mail, and can't find it anywhere. Leave it with me and I'll have a search.

Regards

Kenny

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: That's always the case when you need something, no problem Kenny, good news is that Roadrunner is another UK member who is road legal and he's going to send me his too. Was there any other documentation different to say registering a car or just a simple V5 the same as a car? How do they describe the bike? Motorcycle? Quadricycle? I need to gather as much info as I can to beat this damn system here. I bought in 6 Barossa 170cc's and 4 Barossa 250cc's when I had my business here, I was the first on the Island to have bought in ATV's suitable for road use, every bit of paperwork on my behalf was in order and I still had a nightmare! :angry:
My theory is if it's legal in UK it should be legal here! Under the big umbrella of the EU, only when it seems to suit them though :nod:

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
registering

Andy

As far as I can recall, it did say Quadracycle on the document. Out of interest, many years ago I registred a Motoroma 150 quad for the road. Now, not a lot of people know this, but if you are disabled, you are excempt from type approval. You will know what type approval is Andy. It doesnt need to have all the road legal bits on it like indicators, speedo etc. As I am disabled, I qualified. So basically, a straight out of the box off-road quad can be made road legal. Which I did. However, even the guys at the dvla offices dont always know about this and I had to get the guy from VOSA to phone them to explain. Obviously this saves around £1000, but you really do want indicators, speedo etc on your bike. As the bike was a couple of years old, I had to get a certificate of newness from the manufacturer, stating that the bike was new at time of purchase.

Here's the official document:

Since the 17th of June 2003 there has been a change in the way Motorcycles are registered...
Customers wishing to register motorcycles, tricycles and quadricycles (including quad bikes, sometimes known as ATVs) are required to produce evidence of type approval (TA), unless they meet with an exemption. Current exemptions include:
Slow vehicles, not designed to exceed 6km/h;
Vehicles intended for pedestrian control;
Vehicles intended for use by the physically handicapped;
Tractors and machines, used for agricultural or similar purposes;
Vehicles intended for use in competitions, both on and off the road i.e. trial or enduro bikes.
Vehicles over 10 years old.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no Kenny :eek: you've thrown another big teaser infront of me now! As all of the guys know on the KR forum and some of them here know I too am disabled, I'm Paraplegic (spinal injury) due to a motorcycle accident quite some years back, so from what you are saying if I was back in the UK with my bike it would be easy to register, that would be great as in the UK most of the people in the departments listen and check and agree with what you ask if true, here though, oh no! it's just no you can't do that, no you can't do this, even if it is correct each individual in office makes up there own mind and sticks by it. So I think I will stick to my original plan and ask them if I want to bring my road legal UK quad over (yours or roadrunners, pretending obviously) will it be recognised and be able to be registered on Cypriot plates, if they say yes I will get my bike shipped off to the UK for conversion. There's a place in Exeter that does it and I'll be in talks with them very soon if all goes well.

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
registering

It sounds like you will have a bit of convincing to do. Can you register it in the UK, and just keep it that way, although you are using it in Cyprus? Without re-registering it again? There's a coincidence - I am Tetraplegic and was a bit worried about getting such a big quad but its very easy to ride. Only thing was the thirsty fuel consumption. I see there is a larger tank you can get from the US.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No mate you can only use a vehicle here for a while then they ask it to be registered if its staying in the country.

The larger fuel tank you're referring to is made by IMS some say its 4.1 gallon some 4.6 gallon.

Andy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BIG! BIG! BIG! thanks to Roadrunner, he's faxed me the documents I need, unfortunately they've not come through to well but as I'll be in the UK next week he'll fax them again :D

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Andy. It seems like a nightmare over there with regard to quads. I'm planning on moving to Cyprus in around 3-4 years, but now I might think again!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by jetskier
Andy. It seems like a nightmare over there with regard to quads. I'm planning on moving to Cyprus in around 3-4 years, but now I might think again!

Take it from me you'd NEVER regret it! I love the UK and it will always be home but it's no longer the UK it once was, besides the riding here is absolutely awesome and you don't have to worry about the law etc as you do back home! :D

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, what's the deal with having a road legal quad over there? Do the authorities still recognise them as suitable for road use? How does your machine cope with the heat of the summer?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can have a quad on the road no problem, the trouble is there's no testing center to allow you to convert your own and have it examined so it has to be done elsewhere.
No problem in the summer, I just run without a thermostat and use Evans coolant.

Andy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool I live in Larnaca, where you going to ?

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
The lovely and unspoiled town of Paphos, with all the other greased up white skinned yobs from the UK!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh Paphos zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oops excuse me I fell asleep :D

Andy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts