Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just picked up a Brand New out of the crate 2004 KFX700. Got it for $3000.00 no tax with factory Warranty. Not sure if its a good deal, but i am happy with the deal. Now its time for the mods to start. Want better pipes and try for a little more top end, did some searches on here and i guess after a while, i will figure out what you guys are talking about. I am pretty good working on Cars and street bikes, but this trans and other things on this thing are new to me. Any suggestions on things to start with are welcome. Thanks and i will probably be reading things on this site to learn.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome!

You suck! :D That's a killer deal! You'd pay more than that for a used 2004 in good shape. Do they have any more? (I'm completely serious.)

The main thing to understand when tuning a machine with a CVT is that you need it to make peak HP at the RPM range where the clutch holds the motor at WOT (or below if you spend a lot of time torquing around at low speed).

A lot of mods can move the peak HP to a different RPM range (usually higher RPM, it seems like). So let's say hypothetically that your clutch doesn't let the motor rev higher than 7,000 RPM. If you do a mod that adds power in the range from 7,500 to 8,500, the clutch will never let the motor rev into the range where your mods are working for you. So, you're not getting what you paid for.

(Keep in mind, those are not actual numbers, just an example.)

Obviously, on a manual quad you can compensate for a change in powerband by changing at what RPM you shift. A CVT can be tuned to shift at a different RPM by changing springs and weights. So, it can be done, but the clutch and engine ideally should be tuned together. Most of us aren't quite that sophisticated.

Generally, it seems like with bolt-ons you don't have to worry too much about matching the clutch to the engine. It gets trickier if you start changing cams, compression, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply ! Yes they have a few more. The dealership is called Summersville Cycles, in Summersville West Virginia. There phone number is (304) 872-6626....I have a few friends that might make the trip there, About 6hrs from my house but 30 min from my parents house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do a mixture of trail and open riding but wondering what the 1st mods i should look at. I have only had a chance to ride it for a few hours so far, but it seems pretty balanced to me. Any heads up or advice would be great.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It depends on whether you mean "free" mods or not.

If you want to spend some cash, the very best mod for trail riding is some upgraded shocks.

Otherwise, the inexpensive mods tend to be:
- Open up airbox and rejet
- Change primary clutch spring

Go check out the newbie guide in the technical articles section. It covers the most common stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got maybe $550.00 invested in a Muzzy full exhaust system, K/N Air Filter, Dalton Blue clutch spring, and $5.00 for the Airbox mod, which is the most bang for the buck, oh and Jets, and I would say I gained 10 to 12 HP at the crank, will Dyno sometime for RWHP!!!

( $550.00 )!!! :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Uhmm.. I think Glenn is referring to the price he paid for his V. It's almost criminal he got it that cheap.

H

·
0 Posts
Anybody know if they have any left? I'm think I'm going to call them this morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts