Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You gotta' love a message board where the Administrator's second post involves trash talking. But stick with me here, because I think this could actually be fun if we take the right attitude.

Mickey Dunlap hates it when other engine builders quote big horsepower numbers for their engine kits. And I will be the first to admit that I understand why it gets under his skin. However, to date Mickey has not gone head-to-head in a drag race with another engine builder to see who is putting more power to the ground.

What's his excuse? Not worth the time, he says. He has said on multiple occasions that he'll only race "for pinks or real money".

Fair enough. After all, the man has a business to run. Let's see if we can make it worth his while.

I propose we invite Mickey Dunlap, Ray Fulton from Fundy Motorsports and any other interested engine builders to drag race for real money.

Where do we get the money? Donations. Each of us can throw in whatever we're comfortable with - $1.00, $5.00, $100.00, whatever. We can also solicit donations from corporate sponsors. How much do we need? Well, I'll have to Email Mickey and see if he'll answer that question for us.

The concept: A spec drag race. The builders agree in advance to the build parameters.

For example:
Max displacement: 800cc
Max fuel octane [(RON+MON)/2]: 93
Compression: Any
Allowed modifications: crank, rods, pistons, rings, wrist pins, valves, valve springs, cams and rocker arms.
Replacement CDI allowed.
Flywheel timing advance key allowed.
Non-stock carbs are allowed.
Porting is allowed, as are cylinder sleeves. Must use factory KFX700 head and cylinder castings.
Must run factory clutch but machining and aftermarket weights and springs are allowed.
Must run stock frame, swingarm and chassis components
Must run full stock-style plastic (Maier is OK, but no race trim)
Must run stock final drive gear ratio.
Wheels & Tires: Anything goes.
Suspension: May run solid struts in place of shocks
Minimum weight with full fuel tank: 500 lbs.
Wheelie bars allowed and encouraged.
No power adders (N20, turbo, supercharging, etc.)
All engines subject to teardown and inspection by the race organizers.

Again, this is just an example. We'll need technical consulants to help iron out the details.

Winner takes all!

The real question is: How much cash will it take to get Mickey to show up?

Anyone want to help organize this thing?

K

·
0 Posts
I would love to only problem is i'm on Florida and wouldn't see any of the action. We should contact the other builders first and see what they are willing to do... See if they are willing to put any money up. Then go to Mickey and propose what others have offered. Seems to me that the engine builders should put something up. After all they are getting the bragging rights and if they are that confident they will be getting there money back anyway. There could even be a couple different classes of we wanted to get crazy. with a power adder, or race fuel. a couple different CC. classes even. We can make this an event.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mickey still insists he'll race for pinks. So, if we can get another builder (preferaby Ray) to agree, we might have us a race.

I thought about inviting several people who have had engines built by these guys. So, it would be a more indirect showdown between the builders.

The problem I have with that is how unlikely it is that we'll get two customer bikes that are close enough to the same specs to really give us a fair contest. Anybody can build a bigger motor. The real question is whose motor is better under equal conditions.

Besides, it will only truly be fun if we can get the two feuding builders to meet face-to-face. I don't just want their bikes to be there, I want the builders themselves to show up.

*sigh* Then the question becomes where to have them meet. So complicated....

K

·
0 Posts
We can have different classes, but there will definately have to be an unlimited race, Where the builders themselves pick the fastest Quad they have ever built, and put them face to face barred none. Straight up nomatter what the mods are. Best of the best. That will be the only thing that proves who can build a faster Quad period. As far as where to meet, i don't know where, or how far away they are located.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the balls-out idea, but.... When you leave things wide-open, there's always some reason for a guy to weasel out. The only example that quickly comes to mind is chain drive.

Mickey has a chain drive, Ray doesn't (as far as I know). Ray could complain that changing gear ratios gives Mickey an unfair advantage that has nothing to do with the motor itself. I'm not saying for sure this would be a deal breaker for Ray, but if it were, we've gotten nowhere.

That's where you set a few gound rules - maybe much fewer than in my original post - but enough to eliminate the weasel factor. :idea:

K

·
0 Posts
you would have to work that out with them, but you could also make different guidlines, like top speed, and shorter runs. if you didn't tell them how long the race was going to be then it wouldn't be benificial to either one of them to run chain. it would be all motor. if they both ran stock drive shaft/gears it would be more even. doesn't mickey also have european gears? that could technically make his the fastes V, but how long would it take him to get there? I'm getting phyched about this i want to see it happen now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest, I'm just trying to get his goat. He'll never race. But I figure if I take away all his excuses for not showing up maybe he'll shut his yap.

Of course, if he comes over here and starts talking trash - even just for laughs - I'm booting him off.

I'd love it if he and the other engine builders would come here and answer questions and give advice. However, it seems like he only gets on message boards when he is bored and wants to piss people off to amuse himself.

He would probably win a lot more admirers if he'd just answer questions and offer advice. Lots of people, myself included, would buy parts from him on that basis alone.

F

·
0 Posts
hmmm, he seems to get along with me....I must not threaten him any...... :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Flyin V
hmmm, he seems to get along with me....I must not threaten him any...... :)
As long as you never quote HP numbers he won't dog you. :lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting story. While I didn't intend for this to be a "bash Mickey" thread, I don't mind blowing off some steam especially when you're sharing what is, in fact, a customer experience.

I refuse to give somebody my hard earned money if he doesn't show me respect. Screwing up what would otherwise be informative message threads qualifies as being disrespectful of everyone. If he's truly concerned that people are giving out bad information, he can say so without stirring people up.

With all that said, he's welcome here if he can be civil even when he thinks somebody is full of crap. The minute it turns to flames he's out the door.

And that policy applies to EVERYBODY. I wouldn't just pick on Mick.

Okay, I'm locking this thread. Not because of anything RPM or anyone else said. I just don't want to let this turn into a bashfest, and I fear that's the direction we're headed.

Let's all think positive and move on. Maybe I should Email Ray... 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.