Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

Im about to give up!!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ckenshol 
#1 ·
Ive corrected the high compression on my front cylinder, went to start it and it cranks over but absolutely does not even attempt to start. I have had both heads off just to check things and right now the air cleaner house is off the engine so I can look down the throat of the carbs while I attempt to start it. Ive checked and re-checked the timing on front and rear cams (everything is according to the service manual), Ive check that I have spark on both cylinders (a screwdriver in the spark plug boot near metal draws a spark), Ive put a little bit of gas directly into the cylinder via the spark plug hole.

I have to be missing something but for the life of me I cant figure it out. If Ive got gas and spark then it should at least attempt to start.

Please help me get this figured out!!

#2 ·
If is has fuel & air, compression and detonation at the right time it should at least try to start. Remind me again shat year and size this one is again.
Let's check-off a few things:
1. It has the correct fuel pressure to either the carbs or injectors? about 3-4psi on carbs and 47psi on injectors as I recall.
2. Are both compressions in the range as outlined in the manual? I think is 38-66psi.
3. Using a timing light can you verify each cylinder is firing within 5 degrees of each TDC mark looking through the view port?
4. Is the voltage on the coils at or above 12.2 volts when cranking?
5. And the cam timing has been confirmed correct for both.

#3 ·
If is has fuel & air, compression and detonation at the right time it should at least try to start. Remind me again shat year and size this one is again.
Let's check-off a few things:
1. It has the correct fuel pressure to either the carbs or injectors? about 3-4psi on carbs and 47psi on injectors as I recall.
2. Are both compressions in the range as outlined in the manual? I think is 38-66psi.
3. Using a timing light can you verify each cylinder is firing within 5 degrees of each TDC mark looking through the view port?
4. Is the voltage on the coils at or above 12.2 volts when cranking?
5. And the cam timing has been confirmed correct for both.

#4 ·
It is a 2006 Brute Force 650I.

1) I haven't check fuel pressure. I removed the vacuum fuel pump and replaced it with an electric (2.5 - 3.5psi). The Carbs has rebuilt prior to this issue. But it should at least attempt to fire after I put gas in the cylinder shouldn't it??
2) Both cylinder compression is now about 45PSI
3) I tried a timing light this morning but it did not flash, I haven't used the timing light in a long time so it may be bad. It is one of the timing lights that have the clamp that goes around the spark plug wire.
4) I have a battery charger constantly on a 12V car battery with jumper cables from the battery to the plus and minus lead on the quad
5) Front and rear cams have been set according to my service manual, and re-checked a couple times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.