Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 750 Brute Force with 155 operating hours. About three months ago I had a belt replaced because the light had come on and put it into limp mode. I haven’t used it very much but started it up the other day and found that it was back in limp mode. I took it back to the shop where I had the work done and they said that a mouse had got in to a compartment chewed some wires and that I would need an igniter to the tune of 600 or more dollars. Do they even interface, and could this be causing the bell light and limp mode to come on? Thank you in advance, just trying to avoid a huge unwanted repair bill.

·
Administrator
14,589 Posts
First you should know that at 100 hours, all brutes have the belt light come on for service. This reminder however does not put it into limp mode, just needs the reset procedure done. If yours did put it into limp mode, that means either the belt was loose enough to trip the switch under the cover, a connector or the buss connector has a bad connection or the switch itself is/was bad. Now that it has happened again, next you should know that mice will not chew into the CDI...aka Igniter.. or the actuator controller. They can and will chew into wires..and those can be close to those units. If it were mine the first thing I would do is inspect the buss connector at the rear. ALL the 2005s had them and most all have corroded and failed...no matter how they were used. There is a video in the Brute Technical Articles section on how to repair it. I would then test the switch to see if it is open of closed. If closed, I would just to the reset procedure and look for bad connections between it and the controller. Have them show you what the mice chewed and if you can fix it yourself-do it at home.

·
Registered
2005 750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First you should know that at 100 hours, all brutes have the belt light come on for service. This reminder however does not put it into limp mode, just needs the reset procedure done. If yours did put it into limp mode, that means either the belt was loose enough to trip the switch under the cover, a connector or the buss connector has a bad connection or the switch itself is/was bad. Now that it has happened again, next you should know that mice will not chew into the CDI...aka Igniter.. or the actuator controller. They can and will chew into wires..and those can be close to those units. If it were mine the first thing I would do is inspect the buss connector at the rear. ALL the 2005s had them and most all have corroded and failed...no matter how they were used. There is a video in the Brute Technical Articles section on how to repair it. I would then test the switch to see if it is open of closed. If closed, I would just to the reset procedure and look for bad connections between it and the controller. Have them show you what the mice chewed and if you can fix it yourself-do it at home.
Thanks for that information, they had said that the mouse had chewed the wires. But then they also said that the igniter might be causing the problem and I just couldn’t make sense of that so I put the inquiry on this forum. I will do exactly that, and hopefully can save substantial Dollars. Just for some background information when I did take it for the first belt light indicator and belt change the belt didn’t appear to be worn that much at all, so something is probably causing that indicator to trip, and now apparently I’ve got a rat in the henhouse!
Thanks Man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts