Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wanting to get some feed back from all you guys running the HMF exhaust? Would like to know what you like and dislike about it? Is there anything you would change about it? Was you happy with the power increase you gained with it? O and would like to know how the exhaust is holding up as far as going through mud all the time?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had an HMF utility on my 05 750. Looked good but that was about it.It was WAAAY TOOO LOUD for my liking even with the quiet core installed it was still to loud. I didn't notice enough difference in power to justify the added noise so after a couple of rides I took it off and reinstalled the stock pipe. If you like a loud bike though it might be right up your alley but for me I like a good sounding bike, not just a noisey one.And to me there IS a difference! Gonna buy a Muzzy full system for my 06' though. I do like the way they sound.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any one else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well i will agree that they are loud i have a hmf penland and after about 6 rides it has just gotten to loud , i am very close to also taking it off, the quiet core made a decrease in the sound though very little at mid to full throttle. I can't really say about the power difference cause i put a moose mod and clutch kit along with exh and jet kit all at once. The difference with all the mods is was a big difference.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is loud and the power gain from it by itself is small. If I was to do it again I'd take the money I spent on the Hmf and buy a Dyna cdi , Twinair, Dyno jet kit . Just ask Mudcrazee how much HP can be made with a stock pipe. Now If you're planing on going into the engine( cams, Highcomp.pistons, porting) I'd look into a pipe.

The packing doesn't last long after it gets soaked with mud and water. It's best to snork them.

P

·
0 Posts
I ran a HMF utility series on my rincon for 2 years and heres what I learned about the product and company.

For a power adder, this specific pipe kicks a$$! But at the expense of being very loud even with silent core installed. Now keep in mind this was on a big single cylinder not a v-twin.

In the 2 years I had it, I had to send it back twice. The first incident was from the rivets coming loose near the tip. Called them up, they said no problem will fix. And they did. About 6 months later, im riding back from a buddies house who lives about 10 miles away and while cranking down a lil straightaway I notice the pipes tone gets different. Was a little hard to tell since I had my helmet on, so it may have actually happened sooner. So I pull over and the whole freakin end of it is gone! :cuss: The tip, spark arrestor, silent core and every bit of the fiberglass packing. Again, I call them up but this time they say they would have to inspect it first to make sure it wasnt my fault from running lean or drowning it in water. A few days later they call and say they were basically giving me a new pipe at no charge. To say the least I was impressed, but I went ahead and asked them that if wasnt repairable what then. They (Justin) told me that they could sell me a new one for 60% off regular price. To me this is what customer service is all about.

But since getting it back, I only opened the box to see it and was impressed to say the least as it was all new with new hardware. I ended up selling it and replacing it with a FMF. For one reason...Construction. The FMF is all stainless with baffles instead of packing, so basically it wont be falling apart on me. Its less performance but eases my mind of worries.

The HMF is like most all other pipes meaning its aluminum construction and uses fiberglass packing which routinely needs replaced, which alot of times means drilling out factory rivets to accomplish. IMO, these type of pipes do not belong on a utility quad considering the elements we put them through.

my2cents or maybe more like 30cents.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by philjo
I ran a HMF utility series on my rincon for 2 years and heres what I learned about the product and company.

For a power adder, this specific pipe kicks a$$! But at the expense of being very loud even with silent core installed. Now keep in mind this was on a big single cylinder not a v-twin.

In the 2 years I had it, I had to send it back twice. The first incident was from the rivets coming loose near the tip. Called them up, they said no problem will fix. And they did. About 6 months later, im riding back from a buddies house who lives about 10 miles away and while cranking down a lil straightaway I notice the pipes tone gets different. Was a little hard to tell since I had my helmet on, so it may have actually happened sooner. So I pull over and the whole freakin end of it is gone! :cuss: The tip, spark arrestor, silent core and every bit of the fiberglass packing. Again, I call them up but this time they say they would have to inspect it first to make sure it wasnt my fault from running lean or drowning it in water. A few days later they call and say they were basically giving me a new pipe at no charge. To say the least I was impressed, but I went ahead and asked them that if wasnt repairable what then. They (Justin) told me that they could sell me a new one for 60% off regular price. To me this is what customer service is all about.

But since getting it back, I only opened the box to see it and was impressed to say the least as it was all new with new hardware. I ended up selling it and replacing it with a FMF. For one reason...Construction. The FMF is all stainless with baffles instead of packing, so basically it wont be falling apart on me. Its less performance but eases my mind of worries.

The HMF is like most all other pipes meaning its aluminum construction and uses fiberglass packing which routinely needs replaced, which alot of times means drilling out factory rivets to accomplish. IMO, these type of pipes do not belong on a utility quad considering the elements we put them through.

my2cents or maybe more like 30cents.
[/b]
Well that's what I wanted to hear. I have my HMF exhaust on the way now. But I'm a little scared about all you saying its so loud that you guys sold it. I mean I like loud exhaust pipes but I don't want one that is so loud that it makes me not want to go ride. The HMF pipe that I bought came with the recommend jets to... Will these jets work or will I need to buy a dyno kit? Has any one tryed the jets that come with this pipe befor?

P

·
0 Posts
I didnt sell mine because of its loudness, I only sold it because it wouldnt hold up to my riding. I will say though, I do like the tone better on my new FMF.

V-twins are queiter than singles so you may be ok with it.

Jets...From my personal experience, I'll only use authentic jets from carb manufacturer. Easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by philjo
I didnt sell mine because of its loudness, I only sold it because it wouldnt hold up to my riding. I will say though, I do like the tone better on my new FMF.

V-twins are queiter than singles so you may be ok with it.  

Jets...From my personal experience, I'll only use authentic jets from carb manufacturer. Easier and cheaper.
[/b]
Ok, Well thank you for all your help. I will let you guys know what i think about the exhaust after its on my 750.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I got my HMF exhaust in the other day. I also went a head and bought a dnyo jet kit stage 1 and 2. Here is my question. Do I want to install the stage 1 or 2 jet kit? Im also going to install a dnyo CDI and maybe the moose mod latter down the road.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I remember correctly the stage two is for bikes with after market airfilter and exhaust . It'll tell you what to use in the instructions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just to add something to this I tore mine down for repacking and the TRM had rusted and fused its self to the core. Almost didn't get it apart so if anyone gets the Penland and you'll be in deep mud without a exhaust snork don't put the TRM in. Or just get the Utility race pipe and you won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i'm going to make a exhaust snork for my HMF. I don't go into deep mud and water but you never know what could happen.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone with the HMF exhaust have the blue flame shoot out the end of the exhaust after getting on the throttle hard? My 750 runs perfect but just has that flame after hitting the throttle hard then letting off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
actually i have that problem but i am thinking its a little rich.... take the plugs out and see if it running rich.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed the HMF utility series pipe and while the sound is very very loud the bottom end power jump is worth it. Its almost too loud but ill live with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i just ordered a hmf penland, sounds like i,m going to piss off the neighbours
oh well

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by denhambrute2009
actually i have that problem but i am thinking its a little rich.... take the plugs out and see if it running rich.[/b]
So is this not normal? I have been told that its just extra gases burning in the exhaust.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well idk... mine is running a little rich but i dont think i will worry about it.. im taking it to a dyna in a couple weeks anyway!.... heres a sound clip that will let yall know what they sound like...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8...767651622&hl=en

it has a little back fire off decel... and some at a cruising speed.. not much though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts