Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed recently when I barely move my bars I have some play in them. I can move them back and forth and the wheels do not turn but the bars do a small amount. I'm wondering is this from adding heavier itp rims and something has loosened up? Could someone tell me what I might need to do to tighten it up? I'm in a wheelchair but I think I could fix it or at least get someone to help me and not have to take in to a dealer. The atv has 70 something hours on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,356 Posts
Noticed recently when I barely move my bars I have some play in them. I can move them back and forth and the wheels do not turn but the bars do a small amount. I'm wondering is this from adding heavier itp rims and something has loosened up? Could someone tell me what I might need to do to tighten it up? I'm in a wheelchair but I think I could fix it or at least get someone to help me and not have to take in to a dealer. The atv has 70 something hours on it.
Play can come from warn parts. The parts to check are:

1. Tierod ends- inners fail first then outers.
2. Lower steering stem bearing. These are very common but can be made greasable to increase life on new ones.
3. Upper steering bushing. This to can be replaces with a greasable OMI bushing.

Yes, increased weight and drag will cause these parts to wear faster although most of these stock parts wear pretty fast anyway. Check your ball joints and a-arm bushings too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Video link on how to repair the lower stem ball for less than a dollar. I used an angle grinder and some shims. No more up and down slop in my steering and I saved the 150 for a new lower steering ball.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts