Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a page to my website explaining everything. Under my listed mods click on the banner that says "shock mod". It walks you through it. Easy to do and no more taking everything apart to grease dry bushings. Just added a grease zert.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cool im going to have to check it out and fix mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm definitely going to do this the squeak is driving me nutz. It sounds like I also have a squeak coming from the body of the shock anyone ever had that happen?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also the very far back control arm bushing on mine was also. I didnt zert it but I did take it out and grease it. dont take the front one out though. it has about 50 needle bearings in it that will come apart.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well thats one squeak fixed, anyone elses bike squeak when they steer, and feel it comin up the steering bar? Or is that just me. Whenever I steer and going slow, theres a squeaking noise from where my handlebars connect down by the axels?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes the steering will squeek if you do not lube your upper steering stem seal. It will eventually wear a groove in the stem and make it very easy to bend. I speak from experience on this one. Just make sure you do not spray wash your upper steering stem seal and also make sure you grease it 2-3 times a year and you will be amazed how much easier your brute will steer.

·
Registered
946 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by adrenalinjunkie
Yes the steering will squeek if you do not lube your upper steering stem seal.  It will eventually wear a groove in the stem and make it very easy to bend.  I speak from experience on this one.  Just make sure you do not spray wash your upper steering stem seal and also make sure you grease it 2-3 times a year and you will be amazed how much easier your brute will steer.[/b]
Ya, it all started to squeak real bad when I had my bike overheat and washed the rad realllll good and I guess I sprayed the stem seal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are 2 steering stem seals you will to lubricate with any type of water repellant grease. To find the bracket, measure from the bottom of the flat handlebar bracket 5-1/4" down on the steering stem. The second seal is below it 1" squeezed in the same steering stem brace as the upper. Just unbolt the brace and lube the seal inside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just got my brute back from the shop after being sunk in some nasty water. The bike only has 13 or so hours on it, but it now squeaks like crazy from the back suspension. No squeaks from the front, but crazy squeaking in the back. I haven’t had a chance to determine exactly what parts are squeaking yet. I guess there is no easy fix for it. Another byproduct of submersion. :cuss:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it more that likely built up rust if it was sunk in the bushings of the control arms and shocks. just take them apart and lube them. just not the front control arm bushings cause that is the one with all the roller needle bearings in them. usually just the rear control arm bushings and the shock bushings are the one that squeaks. they have brass sleaves so they will corrode up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts