Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think we could get at least five positive buyers if they were priced reasonable?

·
Registered
254 Posts
For me it would depend what effect they have on 300' times and top speed. Has anybody done much testing?

I suggest putting up a poll to see what people think is a reasonable price range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Forget what FST was selling his for.. and I think he had like 3-4 left when I was up there couple weeks back..

But on top of the cost of the gears (would it include everything? the spacer and shaft?).. Another cost is, you need a shop that is able to install the gears, or you needed some special tool? Not sure if it was something the average joe could do without screwing things up..

Would imagine it would slow you down a bit off bottom end.. think of it as starting in a higher gear on a manual.. If your motor has the torq/hp it shouldn't be that bad..

·
Registered
254 Posts
I guess what I'm wondering is just how much higher the gear is. Would it feel like starting in 2nd? Or is it just a smidge higher?

What is special about installing the gears? Do they have to be pressed on the axle or something?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by VENFORCER
Do you think we could get at least five positive buyers if they were priced reasonable?
I never did get the pic's from you on your 4 inch set up, but someone did send me some so I have seen it. If you want to make some kind of trade for juct the gears let me know.

I think my gears a better priced then what you have to pay when you add the shipping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by KTM265
Hey Mick...Have you looked into changing the gears in the cases??? You have a lot more time inside one of these motors then anyone...
Having gears made at a good price is too hard. I needed a longer swing arm and gear set for my self so when the Germans wanted my 800 kits we worked a deal. There not a good seller just like my billet cases, but I wanted them so I made it happen.

H

·
0 Posts
Changing the gears in the case would be much more difficult. If you do it in the rear Ray, you could if needed have 2 rear ends and easily swap between the 2 depending upon the race conditions or distance.

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by hndlbarmonkey
Changing the gears in the case would be much more difficult. If you do it in the rear Ray, you could if needed have 2 rear ends and easily swap between the 2 depending upon the race conditions or distance.
hmmm... that's a very good point.

swapping out the swingarm is no big deal. pulling the motor to split the case is. but ktm you should still try it to see what happens.

it would be nice to run it through some timers and radar gun to get 300 ft. and top speed numbers.

then change the gear and see what happens.

Jay they are just like ring and pinion gears in a truck you have to do all that backlash stuff. sorry I know some of the terms but not the actual process.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by 764+--><div class='quotetop'>(764)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-hndlbarmonkey
hmmm... that's a very good point.

swapping out the swingarm is no big deal. pulling the motor to split the case is. but ktm you should still try it to see what happens.

it would be nice to run it through some timers and radar gun to get 300 ft. and top speed numbers.

then change the gear and see what happens.

Jay they are just like ring and pinion gears in a truck you have to do all that backlash stuff. sorry I know some of the terms but not the actual process.[/b]
I will get times on them as soon as the snow goes away.

The gears where made more for the big torque motors. On a 446cc warrior motor we go from a 13 tooth sprocket to a 16, that's like going down 10 teeth on the rear. The reason is they pull so much harder that they blow though the rpm range so quick you don't get the full benifits of the hp increace.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Originally posted by MetalAlien
(cough) 30inch tires (cough)
And how exactly do you propose to make those fit? I guess you could put the pegs way out front like a chopper.

Having to turn all that extra mass might keep you from getting much more top end out of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Jay
I guess what I'm wondering is just how much higher the gear is. Would it feel like starting in 2nd? Or is it just a smidge higher?

What is special about installing the gears? Do they have to be pressed on the axle or something?
The gear sets are 18.5% higher ratio than stock.

It really isn't that hard to do the set-up on a ring and pinion. You need to set the space between the gears (lash), and the gear-to-gear contact area (heel, toe, and flank).

Mickey... how much are you getting for the gear sets?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by VENFORCER+--><div class='quotetop'>(VENFORCER)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jay

The gear sets are 18.5% higher ratio than stock.

It really isn't that hard to do the set-up on a ring and pinion. You need to set the space between the gears (lash), and the gear-to-gear contact area (heel, toe, and flank).

Mickey... how much are you getting for the gear sets?[/b]
I haven't just sold the gears before by them selevs but I think it's around $800.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts