Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2011 Brute and cant get any fuel to pump out of the fuel line that goes into the throttle body, Noticed this as I couldn't get the bike to start. Checked the spark and battery (battery is bran new), engine turns over aok. So ultimately I cant get any fuel to pump, checked and replaced all the fuses and all connections. Not sure if my next step should be to drop the fuel tank and check out the pump or is there another relay or anything I should be looking at? I have two bars for fuel but Im pretty sure that should be enough to catch prime with the pump. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,790 Posts
If you can hear the pump running, its either bad or the intake screen is plugged. If you can not hear it, wither its an electrical problem or its bad.. I am also told there is a second filter on its way from the pump to the injectors that may be plugged but I don't see it in the fuel diagram on the FIs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a look on bike bandit and couldn't see a second in line filter either, cant hear the fuel pump running. When I turn the key on the only sound I can hear is the actuator and at the back of the bike behind the seat there is a relay that clicks when I turn the key on or off. Its the relay on the left of the two that are side by side if your looking towards the front of the bike, so the relay that's say closest to the fuse box. Not sure if that has anything to do with it as Im not overly sure what those relays are for back there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is the pump priming when you turn the key on? if so, then your filters are likely clogged.

On a 2013 parts manual, you will see a fuel pump filter, part number 49019 I believe (it only shows up on 2013 model). Take off the rear plastics and take out the electronics tray. The fuel pump will be looking at you on top of the fuel tank. Take out the fuel tank by loosening the 3 bolts that hold it and pull it out the right side of the frame (disconnect the fuel line, the electrical to the pump, and the check valve first). Clean up the outside of the tank and then loosen the screws to get the pump out.

The pump appears to be one piece, but it will come apart in three places. You have to carefully pry the clasp thingies apart. Make sure to note where the plugs go..black one is outside I think? I cant recall for sure. On the bottom of the pump assembly, there is a clasp you have to push in to release...there is also a clasp inside the pump housing..look in it and use long needle nose pliers to pinch the clasp and the bottom will come off....this is where the external fuel pump filter is at. It looks like a teabag. If that is dirty, it needs replaced. You can order the kawi one, or go to autozone and get a fs131 fuel pump strainer (fits 85 mitsubishi galant), or get the fs139. The fs131 is slightly bigger than the kawi one, but it works fine (fitting on it is same..just got to stuff it in the resevoir).

Now, there IS another filter inside the fuel pump housing that CANNOT be replaced. it is a fine metal screen that easily gets plugged. You need to take apart the pump housing completely (carefully loosening all the tabs..should result in three main pieces). I used a dental pick to poke holes in the screen to allow fuel to go through it...others have actually drilled it out. If you do this, need to install an inline fuel filter after the tank before the injectors. I put mine kind of behind the cvt boot cover where the fuel line runs up.

Go to google and search for "equivalent fuel pump for brute force" and it will bring up a thread on MIMB that has pics and info on all this (that is where I learned to do mine..I just had to do mine twice in 200 miles). I highly advise rerouting the tank check valve to the pod. Terrible design to just have it go into the frame there and stop...my check valve was bad as it was letting water and dirt into the tank, so now I am running without one until I order one, but I ran fuel line from the tank vent, along the frame, up to the pod. Put a fuel filter on the end of the line to stop dust and dirt from getting in there also.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Make sure when you take off the electronics tray that you check the connection at the fuel pump. Take connection off and clean it out and put dielectric grease in it and try it again before taking the fuel pump out. If you have power to there, and the fuel pump is NOT turning on and priming, than it sounds like you need a few pump itself. Check that MIMB thread for alternatives, as you cannot buy just the pump...you have to buy the entire pump assembly for about $500 internet price. Some have modded s10 fuel pumps and some others to work though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, ill start taking plastics apart and checking out what you said and see. Hopefully just a bad connection right at the pump itself. Don't overly feel like paying 500 for a new pump either lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts