Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing the roller bearing and reinstalling the front gearbox I'm struggling to get a new front left axle to snap in place. When you look into the gearbox I can see a roughly 1/2" diameter bar at the end of the female spline and thought that may have been stopping the axle from going deep enough be a depth gauge suggests not. Any ideas? If I push any harder I'll knock the thing off the axle stands.

·
Administrator
14,590 Posts
That pin won't be a problem. What usually is the problem is that the axle butts against the outer seal too soon and stops the axle from going in that extra 5-thousands of an inch so the clip on the end goes completely through. We always ensure the clip's opening is facing down, that the grove the clip is in fits the clip and isn't too loose in that grove, that we do indeed have the correct axle for that side. Also insure the seal is in correctly. Then start it in the splines making sure it slides smoothly and start about 1/2 way in. Then with a fast inward thrust and snapping action give it a good, quick inward push. If that doesn't get it slide it back out a bit, rotate the other wheel 90 degrees and try again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pin won't be a problem. What usually is the problem is that the axle butts against the outer seal too soon and stops the axle from going in that extra 5-thousands of an inch so the clip on the end goes completely through. We always ensure the clip's opening is facing down, that the grove the clip is in fits the clip and isn't too loose in that grove, that we do indeed have the correct axle for that side. Also insure the seal is in correctly. Then start it in the splines making sure it slides smoothly and start about 1/2 way in. Then with a fast inward thrust and snapping action give it a good, quick inward push. If that doesn't get it slide it back out a bit, rotate the other wheel 90 degrees and try again.
I'm an idiot. I had 4 new axles but failed to realize the spline on the rears was a greater diameter than the fronts so no wonder it wouldn't engage. Once I offered the correct front axle up it went in with only a few tries. Thanks so much for getting back to me on this. I'm sure I'll be back on with more questions. Have a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts