Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 brute force 750 and I want to service it as recommended. I'm ready to change the break in oil out of the front differential but I'm getting different answers. The book says to use API GL-5 Hypoid Gear oil either SAE 90 or SAE 80. Online trying to figure out if that is correct, many are saying it's a miss-print in the Manual. I questioned it because I have always used 10W40 in my previous brutes. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, synthetic or not?

·
Super Moderator
13,348 Posts
Just bought a 2020 brute force 750 and I want to service it as recommended. I'm ready to change the break in oil out of the front differential but I'm getting different answers. The book says to use API GL-5 Hypoid Gear oil either SAE 90 or SAE 80. Online trying to figure out if that is correct, many are saying it's a miss-print in the Manual. I questioned it because I have always used 10W40 in my previous brutes. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, synthetic or not?
That has been in the manuals sense 2012. I have to trust that if it was a mis-print, Kawasaki would have corrected it by now. And knowing that over the years others have put in gear oil by mistake and have had no ill-effects I have to assume it's now OK. There has been some wear on some parts that could have been slowed if a gear oil was used anyway. So, as there has been almost no change in the construction of the front differentials over all these years, IMO you can use either and..it's also my opinion that you should use a synthetic 75w90 over a conventional 80w90. The one thing I do want to stress though is...make darn-sure it is full. Where the fill is in relation to he ring gear makes it take a while to move to the rear so have the right tire off the ground while filling and rotate it to spin the ring gear to help move it back and out of the way. Once it's to the hole threads..and holding...your good. Take your time cause those that don't get it full have has spider gear pin failures from lack of lube.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That has been in the manuals sense 2012. I have to trust that if it was a mis-print, Kawasaki would have corrected it by now. And knowing that over the years others have put in gear oil by mistake and have had no ill-effects I have to assume it's now OK. There has been some wear on some parts that could have been slowed if a gear oil was used anyway. So, as there has been almost no change in the construction of the front differentials over all these years, IMO you can use either and..it's also my opinion that you should use a synthetic 75w90 over a conventional 80w90. The one thing I do want to stress though is...make darn-sure it is full. Where the fill is in relation to he ring gear makes it take a while to move to the rear so have the right tire off the ground while filling and rotate it to spin the ring gear to help move it back and out of the way. Once it's to the hole threads..and holding...your good. Take your time cause those that don't get it full have has spider gear pin failures from lack of lube.
Thanks a ton dude! I will order the 75w90 synthetic then. I was thinking along the same lines as you were.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts