Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the forum and im looking for some answers about my front differential. I really want to know how it works and mainly what actually links the right axle to the left. I have had the differential apart completely and back together. I broke the carrier and spider gears a few months ago and had to get a new carrier or cage or whatever u call it and also new spider gears. When re assembling i glanced at the clutch packs for the front locker slammed it all together and boom back to running. Only this is front diff lock still doesnt work. I have not owned the quad long and it has never worked. First off yes its adjusted properly. Secondly, as far as my knowledge takes me, it was put together correctly and looking at parts diagrams it looks like it had everything. So the main reason im stumped is this. When my quad is jacked up and i pull the lever even if the friction plates are worn shouldnt my axles somewhat lock? Only my front left spins, front right doesnt flinch.
Any explanations apprectiated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Hi im new to the forum and im looking for some answers about my front differential. I really want to know how it works and mainly what actually links the right axle to the left. I have had the differential apart completely and back together. I broke the carrier and spider gears a few months ago and had to get a new carrier or cage or whatever u call it and also new spider gears. When re assembling i glanced at the clutch packs for the front locker slammed it all together and boom back to running. Only this is front diff lock still doesnt work. I have not owned the quad long and it has never worked. First off yes its adjusted properly. Secondly, as far as my knowledge takes me, it was put together correctly and looking at parts diagrams it looks like it had everything. So the main reason im stumped is this. When my quad is jacked up and i pull the lever even if the friction plates are worn shouldnt my axles somewhat lock? Only my front left spins, front right doesnt flinch.
Any explanations apprectiated. Thanks

Well it's actually pretty simple. The "basket" or cage.. is on the splines on one axle and the friction disks on the splines of the other. There is a cam plate that has balls that travel on ramps that when you pull the lever it rotated this plate and presses all the friction plates with steel plates that have the ears that locks it to the cage. If there is no pressure being applied to the disks, there won't be any unification. Were the balls all there? I assume the cam plate and arm were assembled correctly but did all the friction and steel disks go in? One missing will prevent it not to work...missing balls also will...as well as stripped-out splines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so that is where instead of throwing it back together and saying f it, i should have taken the time to inspect the clutches. I bought a pretty beat up quad and for all i know it could be missing a cutch plate or something. As for ball bearings yes all were there and when assembled i made sure they all we put properly in place. Undestanding how that all works my question is this. How does the cage link to one side and the discs to the other? The pack is all on one side. Also what does that piece on the front left driveshaft which is matched to the slots on the clutch basket do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the diagram i understand that the plates connect to the differential. I also think that the cage connects to the left axle shaft. If that was the case i would understand how this works. Is this true? Does the cage connect to the left shaft via the weird piece on the left axle shaft?

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Looking at the diagram i understand that the plates connect to the differential. I also think that the cage connects to the left axle shaft. If that was the case i would understand how this works. Is this true? Does the cage connect to the left shaft via the weird piece on the left axle shaft?
Yes,..well the carrier, and the steel plates with the feet go between all the friction plates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes so my question is this:
Lets assume that the front left wheel is spinning and the front right is not and we engage the diff lock (yes i know you should stop then engage but for explination sake i engage when spinning.
When diff lock is engaged, Carrier is rotating say 1rpm, then spins the friction plates 1rpm, which when locked spins the steels turning them 1 rpm, which then spins the cage 1rpm, which then in turn slows the left axle shaft,which is spinning 2rpm through the spider gears, to 1 rpm in turn forcing the left side side gear to slow back to 1rpm, from 2rpm, in turn sending power back through the spider gears back to the right side gear spinning the right axle. Lol long story.

Assuming this is all true, could my problem be the gear on the axle shaft either be spinning on the shaft or not actually be engaged into the clutch basket cage? Becase that gear that is on my left axle shaft just slides on its not pressed on or anything. Am i even remotly close to correct?

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Yes so my question is this:
Lets assume that the front left wheel is spinning and the front right is not and we engage the diff lock (yes i know you should stop then engage but for explination sake i engage when spinning.
When diff lock is engaged, Carrier is rotating say 1rpm, then spins the friction plates 1rpm, which when locked spins the steels turning them 1 rpm, which then spins the cage 1rpm, which then in turn slows the left axle shaft,which is spinning 2rpm through the spider gears, to 1 rpm in turn forcing the left side side gear to slow back to 1rpm, from 2rpm, in turn sending power back through the spider gears back to the right side gear spinning the right axle. Lol long story.

Assuming this is all true, could my problem be the gear on the axle shaft either be spinning on the shaft or not actually be engaged into the clutch basket cage? Becase that gear that is on my left axle shaft just slides on its not pressed on or anything. Am i even remotly close to correct?
Oh probably...I haven't had one apart is so long I can't remember.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Did you try to manually put it in 4x4 at the front diff, by removing the 4x4 actuator, and manually pushing or placing the diff slide into 4x4 ?
Just a thought before u jump .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts