Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my BF the dealer told me it is best to have them do the first service. I was not in objection to it when he told me it would cost almost 200 bucks. Then I went through the manual and saw that most if it was just inspection besides the fluid changes. Now I just didnt see how I could pay someone that much money for stuff that is that basic. Even someone not machanically inclined can do the 10 hour service. I headed up to my local dealer and bought all the needed fluids and filters( I was doing a serviced on the DZR also). Total for the BF was about 32 bucks. I only by the Kawi fluids when it is still under warranty just incase there is a problem I have records that I used what they use. In about an hour I was finished. Now I just cant wait to get back on the trails and ride!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agreed,i do all my own service.You will save alot of money doing it yourself.

·
Registered
946 Posts
wayyyy back in the day when I had my 10 hour service done, it didn't cost me a thing the dealer did it all. So I think he was juicin ya, but congrats on doing the work yourself. the only thing i can think of them doing that would actually cost, was the belt fluctuation and that needs a special tool I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, do it all yourself and take the $200 bucks and get yourself a module.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I go to the dealer just to buy parts lol that is it. I do every myself. Learn, save money, and know it is done right (if you trust your own work that is)..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Module is first on the list. Even before new tires. As far as the belt fluctuation I will just get the tool. I have always bought or made all needed tools to have just incase something happened when I at the track and needed it. Nothing sucks like watching people ride cause you dont have the right tool to fix something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the same thing, did it myself. I bought everything from the dealer just in case there is a problem. My dealer wanted $160.00 I asked what they did for it. He said change all the fluids and check every bolt to make sure it is tight, and check the brakes, battery ect. Thats a lot of labor money and I doubt they do all that anyways.

·
Registered
153 Posts
valve adjustments

how often should they be checked and adjusted?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: valve adjustments

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by 05BruteForce750
how often should they be checked and adjusted?[/b]
I do them every 500 mi or once a year, whichever comes first. (usually 500 mi for me)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I called three dealers. One included the valve adjustment in the price, and quoted $180. Another quoted $130 for just fluids and cable adjustments, and $99 for the valve adjustment. The third dealer quoted $106 (1 hr labor plus parts price for fluids and filter) to do the engine oil, rear diff fluid, adjust the cables, NO valve adjustment, NO front diff fluid.

He told me I need to bring it back every 10 hours of riding, and each time they will do more and more adjustments??????

That would be crazy expensive, but he urged me to keep coming back "...just so you have good records in case you need warranty work..." I felt like that was a threat? I mean, I spent $650 for an extended 4 year warranty and they want to talk like that? (still wouldn't buy any other machine...I like owning the best)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know my 05 750 Brute ...The valves are very tempermental...800-900 miles they start tighten up bad. Which results in hard starting.

·
Registered
946 Posts
As for valves, I have 05 too and mine are rerally bad since I sunk it, after 1 adjhustment i went about 1000km b4 it became hard to start, then another and another, and it kept getting shorter spans, so the last time I just drover the bike easy for 300km, and then now I'm at almost 1000 km and it starts like a new machine even in the really cold weather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts