Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I threw down and bought an air compressor. Got a 2HP belt-drive oil lubricated Craftsman with a 25 gallon tank. So far I've only used an impact and a die grinder, but it seems to be sufficient for my projects.

Got a spray gun set on the way.. supposed to be low volume. Hope this thing will run 'em good. I'm itchin' to paint some stuff.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the link:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...UseBVCookie=Yes

It appears to be a relabeled Porter Cable. The reviews on Sears.com were outstanding. It's just a 120v model, so it's not big enough for serious sanding and stuff like that. However, it is WAY quieter than a direct drive oilless compressor and recharges pretty fast.

I almost cheaped out and bought the $299, 33-gallon oil free because I was afraid I wouldn't use it enough to justify a better one. Well, I'm glad I spent an extra couple hundred bucks (bought air tools, too, which are included with the $299 model).

I kind of wish this one were available as an upright, but the horizontal style is easy to move around. I've got a spot picked out if I ever get off my butt and clean out the garage.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey Jay did you check the the consumption on the spray gun...HVLP guns require high volume at low pressure, if it's a larger gun, you might not be able to supply enough volume with that compressor

H

·
0 Posts
oooops just actually paid attenetion to what you said....low volume :retard:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can you empty all the air out of the tank.. And Then turn it on and tell me how long it takes to fill..

You think it'll run off a 2500 or 3000wat generator? I'll have to view the specs to find out the surge wattage..

I have a Lowes oilfree one, I think its kobold? Or something like that.. Its 30 or 32 gallon.. But its loud and runs what I feel is a fairly long time to fill up.. And I can empty it in no time with the air tools..

But I need something that will run off a generator, since I don't have power at my campsite..

My Coleman 2500 genny is a loud jackhammer, and the Air compressor almost drowns it out.. I'm just trying to see if i'm good with what I have, or there's something better.. Its mainly for working on the quads, air tools and air hose....

When I run it.. I put on the ear thingys, cause of all the noise, lol..

H

·
0 Posts
if Jay could get the amp rating on the compressor, you could tell. I would guess maybe 15-20 amps

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the spray gun thing is an experiment. I was going to order an Astro LVLP gun. But I read some good things about the ATD HVLP guns. They are supposed to require less volume than other HVLPs, and a set of 3 was about the same price as the Astro alone (still cheap).

If the ATD gun doesn't work out I'm going to try the Astro LVLP.

PkSpawn, I'll check on the fill/recovery time for you. However, it seems like tank size will determine how soon the compressor cuts in, and this one is a bit smaller than what you have, so you may find it still runs quite a bit depending on what you're doing. However, it supposedly will last longer when run at high duty cycles than an oilfree. I know running the die grinder @ 90psi it kicked on pretty soon, but it was able to keep up.

I believe it requires a 15 amp circuit. There should be details on the Sears site and some of the reviews had good information, too. I'll check the motor and also the manual tonight.

If I'd had a 230v outlet already in place it would have been tempting to go with a stationary compressor. But I figure some day this might make a really nice "second" compressor if I just can't live without a big one.

·
0 Posts
the cfm requirements for those hvlp guns is pretty high...

like 12-13 cfm at 90 psi.

I had to get an 80 gallon 6.5 hp (I think that's right) compressor in order to drive my hvlp gun properly.

Otherwise you end up with shoot a pass, shoot a pass, wait for the tank to fill, shoot a pass, etc.

For just basic spraying it's OK but not for shee-it when laying lacquer down. :angry:

The Astro is a decent gun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, I can read. :D And I did check all the specs. What is questionable is how truthful the manufacturers are about air requirements and the capability of the compressor.

Like I said, it's an experiment. At the very least I should be able to paint guitar bodies with it and do smaller auto body repairs.

·
0 Posts
Jay why assume criticism first? I was discussing it, not preaching to you like some know it all. It's a discussion forum, I'm far from an expert.

The gun manufacturers are generally on when it comes to cfm requirements, it's to their benefit if you have enough cfm since that will make the gun perform better. That means less complaints to them.

BUT on the other side the air compressor guys always fudge their numbers by using a peak CFM and a thing called "duty cycle".

So the compressor can run at a duty cycle of let's say 30%, which means the average cfm is available if you were to run it for let's say 10 minutes, for 3 minutes. just picking easy numbers.

The peak CFM is a particularly nasty trick since if the compressor says it can do 10 peak cfm that only means its for a short time.

****disclaimer****
Take ALL that just a discussion point, *NOT AS THE TRUTH* since it's all written from memory. I've been out of woodworking and lacquer spraying since I bought our first quad years ago.

enigma: no equipment left! sold it all and bought quads. all I have left is my little porter cable pancake screamer... Sure miss the big porter cable cast iron compressor... you couldn't even tell it was running, I put it in a shed out back.

sidenote: you can build a air compressor box to cut down the noise.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dude, how many of these :D :D :D do I have to insert for you to know I'm kidding?

It does seem like everyone assumes you didn't do your homework, though.

H

·
0 Posts
use to do alot of woodworking also

Now everything is out rusting away in my barn.....table saw, radialarm saw, planer....etc :(

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Jay
Dude, how many of these :D :D :D do I have to insert for you to know I'm kidding?

It does seem like everyone assumes you didn't do your homework, though.
Apparently a bunch, Sorry Jay, my bad.

And agreed on the second part.

I don't know how I got through life with quads before having an impact gun and compressor... :retard:

monkey: :) I miss the woodworking days but it's not something I can do with the family. they loved the stuff that got built but hated all the time they couldn't go into the garage because the tablesaw, joiner, whatever was running. once they are out of the house though! back to it!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No doubt! Changing between knobs and paddles (which in my case requires changing hubs, too) wears me out. This is gonna' be niiiiice.

The die grinder has already come in handy.

I need to think of a small painting project for this weekend to try out my spray gun if it arrives on time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PkSpawn, here's the information you asked for:

Current draw: 15A starting, 7.5A running
0-150 psi: 3:35
0-120 psi: 2:55

For what it's worth the motor is made by General Electric.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts