Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally gave in after just 200 miles of taking a beating with the stock Brute shocks and upgraded to a new set of the Elkas stage 3's.
Even though I was informed of a long 8–10-week delivery time I went ahead and placed the order through a dealer (RacingPowerSports) on Ebay, they are on Amazon too. I was surprised that the Elkas came in already at 30 days, 4 weeks sure beats 8-10 weeks.
Right out of the box and all 4 mounted I was amazed how close Elka had the Stage 3's set-up for my liking. After a few more rides on the Elka set-up I started making fine tuning adjustments.
These days the Stage 3 does not have rebound adjustment settings, you have to get the Stage 4's for rebound and another $800 added on to the already price of $1687 for all 4 shocks. Figured I really didn't need it for my riding needs, so I decided against the Stage 4's.
I messed around with the low-speed compression settings for both the rears and front shocks, I tried lowering the clicks and raising the clicks, you have a total of 30 clicks per Elka Stage 3 shock. Amazing how just a few clicks in either direction does change the ride. I then took 2 additional turns off of the preload adjustment on all 4 Elka shocks. Elka already had them set for comfy riding over firm, now I have them even a bit smoother over the rough sections. I returned the low-speed compression back to the starting point of where Elka had them set at, 10 clicks on the rears/12 clicks on the fronts. There was a difference in riding over the rough sections after I adjusted the preload. I then added another 50 lbs. to each rack, front and rear with some flat rocks (building a potato cooker inside the campsite fire ring), that really smoothed out the ride with the additional weight from the rocks but the biggest difference here is how the Elka Stage 3's handled the extra weight. I was the leader in our group on the trip back to the campsite, my speed was anywhere from 35mph up to 50, no wandering on the roads I was on, no nose diving, powerslide with ease, in 100% complete control and the ride felt like I was on pillows. So smooth I couldn't feel any of the rough sections or the washboard roads, I did the washboard section at 50mph and it was 3.5 miles long.
W/o the added weight of the rocks and now the preload set at my prefer setting, I can now ride as fast as I want with zero issues Vs the stock shocks. I'll throw my older 3.25-gallon flat fuel pack on the front rack for some added weight and soon I'll be changing out to the heavier Kimpex rear hard case that I use to use and carry more weight on the rear rack as the result since my Elka stage 3's can handle the extra weight.
I'll continue to change the low-speed compression settings as all trails/roads are different and require different settings.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
14,588 Posts
I really need to start saving up for a set of these! The higher speed wandering on fire roads has always bugged me on these quads.
Some of it is tires and alignment but most of it is in the shocks. Elkas just make a new and different machine out of it..plain and simple. IMO the first thing any new..or old Brute owner needs to do is a tire/wheel package and a set of Elkas...at least stage3s. The rest is just bling. :)

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm now at a setting of 4 clicks on all 4 Elka's stage 3's for low-speed compression setting, super smooth on the rough roads I'm riding here in southern Colorado. Riding a section of a bad washboard road my click 4 setting makes my Brute feel like I am riding on pavement. The other trails I have complete control, no pushing, no nose diving, powerslide with ease, of course tire choice helps allot too. Highly recommend at least the Elka 3's if you are an aggressive rider, you won't be disappointed in the results.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep but only for about another 3-4 day's. Dan rode my Elka fitted Brute and was so impressed he ordered a full set of the Elka Stage 1's for his Suzuki KQ500 But.. ELKA doesn't offer them for the KQ500 but do for the KQ750. I did some researching online and found out the frame/shocks are the exact same between the 2 Suzuki's. Since Dan isn't an aggressive rider, he went with the stage1 at $1,300 for all 4 (had them in 30days), got them through the same dealer I ordered through but with his on Amazon, I used Ebay. If anyone here decides on the Elka's use Ebay, way smoother ordering and the process is 100 times better with Ebay.
Dan had to order for an KQ750 for his KQ500, they are all on, perfect-fit. Took almost all day though to install because of the left front top shock bolt, Suzuki put a bracket in the way so you can't take the upper shock bolt out without taking off the entire front body on the KQ. I will never bad-mouth Kawasaki again with getting the Front body plastic's off of my 19 Brute, Good Greif, So far Suzuki takes 1st place in getting the front plastic's off with all of its BS screws and those terrible 2-piece plastic pins.
I will finish up the last few days here with helping adjusting Dan's Elka's and getting in some fly-fishing at Los Pino's, good ride to test his Elka's is getting down into Los Pino's canyon..

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan flies down the trails now, powerslides with ease as well. Feels like his 2016 KQ500 with 4,000 miles is a brand new 4wheeler. We only cranked off the preload 2 turns each on all 4 of the Stage 1's for a slightly softer ride, so far just 2 turns less has been the perfect setting.
I continue to mess around with the low-speed compression settings with my Stage 3's. I have them now set at 2 clicks on the rears and 4 clicks on the fronts with the preload really cranked down to the softest position, those settings give me a super plush ride over all terrain, worked out really well for the Colorado trails. Will be interesting how those settings will be here now that I am back home and ride the local mountain trails, as the trails/forest service roads here are not in the same league as the rough Colorado roads/trails.
I've also noticed that these new 2022 ELKA stage 3's didn't lower my brute in loss ground clearance as the previous Older ELKA's I had on my other Brutes. Even at the soft settings I now have my shocks set at, my ground clearance is the same as stock and I'm using the same tires now as I did with the other Brutes.
These are the Utility rated Shock Springs with the stage 3's I have now, previous the used set I bought from Dave were the Racing Springs stage 3's, the Utility Springs are way better for my riding need's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts