Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking for shocks that can give me the best handling possible while cornering at the highest possible speeds. Basically I like power sliding. (Would stiffer low speed compression give me this effect?)

But at the same time, it’d be nice to have a shock that can also handle very straight, rough/rocky/bumpy terrain at even higher speeds. Such as racing across a mountain trail with loose rock, ruts from water, potholes, or even fixed smooth-ish rocks sticking out of the ground 4 inches or so. (Regardless of the lack of this adjustment, would a softer high speed compression give me this + less preload for more down travel give me this desired effect?)

Elka dude said Recreational/Trail/‘confort’ would be right for me. Just thought I’d get a second opinion, as I for sure thought my riding style was more sport/racing oriented.

Also, curious what terrain the other calibrations would be better for?

TL;DR: Read bolded text.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The Stage 3's will give you those stages for different trails and the low-speed adjusting knob does make a difference on the setting. I presently have mine set on the low setting of 2 clicks on the rear Elkas and 4 clicks on the fronts and the preload ring adjuster really backed off to a softer setting. These adjustments are giving me a plush ride over the rough rocky trails I was riding daily in Colorado, trails you can't ride fast because of the rocks but if the trail turned more into faster straights with longer curves then I would bump up the low speed setting to 12 Rear, 16 Front. If I was following anyone I would be on their tailpipe, to the point that they would let me by and I never saw them again till I stopped at the next turn off.
The difference in the Low-speed adjustments are just amazing, takes practice for what setting works best for the trail you are on and if the trail changes to a faster clip then just crankup the low-speed adjuster knob setting.
If you want total fast speed cornering then you need to find where the preload needs to be set at, this comes down to your riding need's, just takes fine tuning your ELKA's to suit you.
Some of this also depends on your tires as well, how they handle in loose terrain plays into your ELKA's settings. Too stiff of a tire I have found for me doesn't work too well, presently I use the 26" Terra-cross 12" tires with a full set of ITP wheels, wider stance and excellent powersliding, the terracross tires feel like I am riding on rails when the speeds pick up. They don't push in the tight corners, the Elka's keep your tires in contact with the ground, no bouncing like the stock shocks, no wandering with the Elka's/Terracross combo.
The redesigned ELKA's (different style look than the units I have had before) also didn't steal any of my ground clearance, I have my Stage 3's on the softer preload as mentioned above, I can tackle any trail I please at the speed I know I can handle in 100% control, no sliding or pushing with the tires, the Brute goes where I point it and my butt stays planted on the seat all of the time, more than pleased with the $1,800 I paid for all 4 ELKAs Stage 3's and it only took 30 days to receive them after I placed the Order with Racing Powersports on Ebay.

Before I had a full set of the ELKA's Stage 3's but with the Race Springs, they are a stiffer spring rate at all preload settings and low-speed compression settings but excellent for really fast riding pace. Comparing the used Race ELKA's I had before Vs the Utility Springs I have now, I'm keeping with the Utility spring set-up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the very least I have some radials, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's.

So what exactly is pushing? Is it where it feels like you're being pushed to the outside of a turn, kind of like what it'd feel like doing donuts in 4WD, really tippy to the outside?

Lastly; am I understanding how shock absorbers generally work?

1. If you can break traction in the rear easily, you want softer susp. in the rear relative to the front to transfer more weight to the rear during hard acceleration.
  2. Stiffer in the front relative to the rear so you don't nose dive during braking.
  3. Stiffer all around helps w/ body roll when cornering.
  4. Softer always provides a more comfortable ride.
  5. Stiffer high speed compression, is it ever useful?
  6. Pre-load, are you actually making the springs softer/stiffer? Or are you just increasing and decreasing the amount of down travel, until you have no more down travel, and only then would you be making your springs stiffer?
TL;DR: Read bolded text.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Yes, pushing is being pushed to the outside, Bighorns are great for this but way better on rocks, like Moab country.
Been way too long since I used the Bearclaw tire, I used them once on one of my Brute 750s but I don't recall what I didn't like about them.
Backoff Preload softens the ride. I haven't noticed any bad side effects with my preload turn down for a softer ride except if I have too much added weight on the front rack, the 3.25gallon fuel pack actually is the exact extra weight I was needing for where I have my Elka's presently setting at and I can always add more low-speed compression easily if needed.
If you want better control in fast riding, you can always add more preload to make it a litter bit firmer and add + low-speed compression adjustment, once again this comes down to rider preference, with the ELKAs you can find the set-up you need.
I have no nose diving on my set-up, the ELKA stage 1s can even solve that issue, you just don't have the fine tuning with stage 1 or stage 2.

Just having the ELKAs solves allot of issues when riding at any speed or terrain you tackle, it is how the Elka shock is built but you can also do other upgrades to improve overall handling, such as the low cost swaybar greaseable bushings, better tires and a wider stance (aftermarket wheels). Some even change out the handlebar for improved overall feel, which isn't easy to do with the Brutes instruments, but some have figured it out.

But, If you feel you need the best ELKA shock to suit any needs, then get the Stage 5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts