Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on another message board if you put a couple of washer between your Tie Rod it makes your steering easier. I thought I would give it a shot cause the steering on a BF 750 is kind of hard. After spending about $ 1.00 on the the 3/8" washers and a half an hour for installtion I was very suprised to see that it REALLY works.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's hard to believe that a couple washer's can make such a difference..... doesn't it?
I've had the washer mod on mine for a while now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It really does. What it does is put the tie rod in more horizontal position (less angle)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet mod ! I just went outside & added the washers to my 2006 750BF. Didnt get a chance to road test it but I'm glad I came across this post .
Thx SilverBrute!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Silverbrute did yours have a factory washer under the nut? If so did you remove it?
I was only able to get one 3/8 washer on with leaving the washer under the nut in
place and still be able to get a cotter pin installed. I noticed a slight but not significant
improvement with the one washer. Do you think it would be worth removing the
factory washer and trying to get another 3/8 washer on the underside?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as you only being able to get one washer in, it could be that some washers are thinner then others makin it possible to get more in. I've read before a guy got three washers in. I tried for three but couldn't get more then two and still being able to get the cotter pin in.
You could try taking the factory washer out and see if that helps any.
You can also do the washer mod on your outter tie-rods to make it more easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by BF650I
Does this mod work on the 650's aswell?[/b]
I haven't heard of anyone doin it to a 650 but it wouldn't hurt to try cause its such a cheap mod if it doesn't work just take them off. It will only set you back a couple of washer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did the washer mod on my 750 right after I got it in July and yes it does work good. I'm runnin' two washer's on the inner tierod's and two on the outer's also.After doing this mod make sure to check/reset your toe as adding the washer's can change it a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to do the washer mod on my 05 and could only get 1 on and i almost didnt get the pin back through the hole. I heard a knocking sound when shaking the handle bars when I was done. Then I checked over all of my steering and found that the nut has come OFF of the bolt that goes thru the top right A arm connecting it to the frame. :cuss: . Thats where the sound was coming from. Anybody else experience this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great Mod on the 07, Now I don't have use both hand to turn all the time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Originally posted by ZUKIE
I went to do the washer mod on my 05 and could only get 1 on and i almost didnt get the pin back through the hole.  I heard a knocking sound when shaking the handle bars when I was done. Then I checked over all of my steering and found that the nut has come OFF of the bolt that goes thru the top right A arm connecting it to the frame.  :cuss: . Thats where the sound was coming from. Anybody else experience this.[/b]
There was a recall on the A arm bolt's loosening up and falling out on the 05'. Maybe your got missed as it sound's like it was never done!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just found that recall on the web and sure enuf others have had the problem also, so I called my local dealer and told them about it and they said they had never heard about it, so i went to parts store and bought two nuts using the 2nd one as a jam nut hoping this will never happen again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Double nutting should hold'er good and tight. For future reference on a Brtue, locktite is your friend!
As to you only being able to get one washer on the tierod stud you can also add one on the outer tierod too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed Zukie also has an 05 and had the same issue of only getting one washer on
the inner tie-rod end. The washers I used look to be the same thickness as the ones in
SilverBrute's pic but I don't have near as many threads showing,even with one washer.
I have the tie-rod recall kit on mine. Just wondering if the threaded shank is shorter on
the 2005 model? Today I added one washer to the outer tie-rod end and it improved the
steering over having just the one on the inside but again getting the cotter pin back in takes some effort.
Thanks for the help SilverBrute and Bigmike 750.

BF650I your sig says you have a 2007. The hard steering was corrected for the
2007 models but the washers would likely make it even easier if you so desire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You guys should really be buying a couple of dumbells instead of this mod.

Are the tie rod holes tapered or straight?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Camo,the tierod hole's are straight, no taper. BTW I have enough "dumbells" around me, so their's no need to pay for them!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great tip. Going to try this when I get home.

·
Registered
121 Posts
steering mod

Went downstairs this morning to do the washer mod. Got 2 in the inner connection but didn't have room for even 1 on the outer. It's an 06 750. Antone else have this situation? Will installing only the inner washers going to cause a problem?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only have them on the inner, and haven't had a problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts