Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So work has been slow these last weeks, I guess you can call it boredum. but Ive been able to do alot of riding lately. during so, its always been a catch 22 with the sway bar. ive had it off for the longest time cuz i love the flex you get off forest service roads and tight trails, but i hated the massive roll thru the corners on the FSR. so i tighten up the shocks now the ride is brutal. might still be getting some work shocks soon, but its hard to buy with lack of income ATM. so ive been looking into the jeep system and different methods of disconnecting the sway bar and dis connecting it. there is the simple way with just pins but that requires you get off the quad and pull the pins, and vise versa when you get off the trail. i wanted something i can hit a button or switch and bam in or out of sway bar lock.

so far ive built this idea, still working out the bugs mind you. but I cut the sway bar in the middle then welded 2 1-1/4 inch nuts on both halfs of the broken sway bar, then i cut the bottom off the end of a DEEP socket, so what happens is you slide the socket over both halfs creating a joining sway bar, or slide it back so there separate again. right now its cable operated (electric soon) with a choke type cable leaver moving the socket back. then a spring pushes it back when you release the lever.

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
So work has been slow these last weeks, I guess you can call it boredum. but Ive been able to do alot of riding lately. during so, its always been a catch 22 with the sway bar. ive had it off for the longest time cuz i love the flex you get off forest service roads and tight trails, but i hated the massive roll thru the corners on the FSR. so i tighten up the shocks now the ride is brutal. might still be getting some work shocks soon, but its hard to buy with lack of income ATM. so ive been looking into the jeep system and different methods of disconnecting the sway bar and dis connecting it. there is the simple way with just pins but that requires you get off the quad and pull the pins, and vise versa when you get off the trail. i wanted something i can hit a button or switch and bam in or out of sway bar lock.

so far ive built this idea, still working out the bugs mind you. but I cut the sway bar in the middle then welded 2 1-1/4 inch nuts on both halfs of the broken sway bar, then i cut the bottom off the end of a DEEP socket, so what happens is you slide the socket over both halfs creating a joining sway bar, or slide it back so there separate again. right now its cable operated (electric soon) with a choke type cable leaver moving the socket back. then a spring pushes it back when you release the lever.
Wow...hell of an idea!! Hope the welds hold and the single bushings keep it close enough inline to re-enguage it. Keep us updated. I am talking with a local company on custom making a swaybar that has the correct torsional action like a car so I can have some independant movement on rough roads but catch and transfer within an inch or so on corners. Money too is an issue with me...so its a slow process...

·
Super Moderator
1,115 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea! Can't wait to see some pics and hear more about it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought about going that way. but on alot of our rides it will open up on the trail then you hit a old river basin, then open up again. so i went one step further. haven't had a chance to test it due to my rear valve inspection cover leaking... started right after i installed the catch can. don't know if its coincidence or if its related.

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
i thought about going that way. but on alot of our rides it will open up on the trail then you hit a old river basin, then open up again. so i went one step further. haven't had a chance to test it due to my rear valve inspection cover leaking... started right after i installed the catch can. don't know if its coincidence or if its related.
Its just an O-ring. Just other a couple and be careful of over-tightening.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i haven't touched the bolts on the cover for probs around 1000 miles or so. so its got to have something to do with the catch can. im using the yamaha 450 box, the outlet for the air box seems a little small. maybe its creating too much pressure in the crank case>?

·
Super Moderator
13,441 Posts
yeah i haven't touched the bolts on the cover for probs around 1000 miles or so. so its got to have something to do with the catch can. im using the yamaha 450 box, the outlet for the air box seems a little small. maybe its creating too much pressure in the crank case>?
I have the same thing and tied back into the airbox. Been on there for what...three years now..no problems yet. I do know that little bit of vacuum that the box puts on the line is important.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i seen your post on mud in my blood... i hope its just happen to be a bad gasket got one on order.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so work went from slow to non existent for awhile so the project was put on hold ive almost got it up and running, keep in mine this is a prototype, lots of on the fly changes.. so far ive only flexed in in the drive way with a ramp upto the trailer and drove it up and down the street... so far it seems very promising. these aren't fully updated but you get the idea. hopefully to be finishing it tmr. for this weekend test ride.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Impressive, looking good keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That was some "critical thinking skills" at work. Nice job. Is it easy to re-engage?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So im backing tinkering on this set up now that sledding season is over and im pulling out the old brute again. it worked great when it did work... the welds held up fine, even though i was worried it might temper the steel making it brittle.

i ran into little problems like for instance i have the big guns exhaust and it nearly misses the sway bar as is. so i had to make custom brackets to move the whole sway bar back about an inch or so.

my biggest problem right now is finding a way to disconnect it, the choke cabling and combination of heavy spring i used, the cable is too small and not strong enough to pull the collar back. i thought about using electric actuators and making it switch operated, but i think it would be too bulky and heavy and there isn't much room in there... so im currently looking at some sort of hydraulic push pull cables... but there a little over kill for what i need. if you got suggestions on cable system. looking for something medium duty and locks in place once you pull/push it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts