Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've seen alot of problems with the Copperhead CDI's on other posts, but all problems were mud/water related. I have an '07 brute 750 and I am just returning my 2nd copperhead with NO mud or water riding strictly trails and both have crapped out on me in the middle of a good day of running. luckily I carried the stock box and the blue beast fired right up after plugging it back in. am I just really unlucky or has anyone else had the same misfortune? very aggravating..I told them there will be no 3rd box please give me a full refund.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Copperhead CDI......issues?

The HL module is your friend :)

·
Registered
3 Posts

I picked up a gen1 and had some water issues, I have had the gen2 for quite a while and have had no issues but I have sealed coils as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Nope mine has been Great .. atleast Lyle at VDI is GREAT! as far as customer service goes..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I must be cursed then cause both CDI units were gen 2 and both weren't so much as hit with a rain drop and cut out on me....worst thing was this past weekend I was about to show off for a bunch of youngsters takin a short cut through a small village...nailed on the gas brought up the front end for a spell, hit 82 km/h in no time flat and then sputter...pop....dead!!..there I was lookin for a place to bury my damn head! and a bunch of kids pointin'..."what happened mister?" "thats a new bike, shouldn't be doing that!!"...thank you velocity devices for that embarassing trip

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes...I will agree, Lyle at velocity is top notch. replaced my first one no questions asked and now full refund that I don't want to try another. had a dyna in my prairie...may have to get another for the brute

·
Registered
27 Posts

I've had my VDI in some deep stuff and I have no complaints at all.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Thats why i got Dynatek,i have heard of alot of people having problems with the Copperhead.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I had to get the VDI. I can never settle for 2nd best. That and I don't think I would like the miss at half throttle.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yup I hear ya GoatMan....worked extremely well, but the stock box works good enough for me to not venture for a third attempt

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts

This sucks man. I wonder if there was a bad batch? When did ya get it exactly?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

don't know the exact dates, but the first one was mid september and the last one I got on the first or second of this month, very dissapointing but luckily this thing works awesome stock.....until I find another means of evil

·
Registered
34 Posts

Copperhead Gen 1 gave myself and many of my Brute buddies an issue but not one of us has had an issue with Gen2. We must have over a dozen in our group with zero issues. One thing I would check though is your lower carb boots. It sounds like you may have a torn boot and your cylinder leans out and pops. I found a torn boot on mine last week when I pulled my engine out to do a cam and high compression pistons install. Hard to see unless you look really hard for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I have ran both the Dyna and the VDI on my Brute, I currently have the VDI and sold the Dyna, I wouldn't trade the copperhead for two Dyna's........the VDI also makes about 3hp more at the wheels than the Dyna does with the VDI set at 35 degree's timing.........Stakk

·
Registered
30 Posts

My Copperhead has been replaced with a gen2 just because of the water issue. I could have 10 crap out and I'd be looking for my 11th. They are awesome.

With the stock CDI I could never catch my dog in the pasture. With the VDI I have run him over twice already.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I had the Gen 1.
Sealed coils, plugs, and wires and had it rack deep many times. No miss, no sputter. Just a very noticeable improvement in acceleration throughout the power band.

1200 miles later I recieved a Gen 2, at no cost. Bought new coils/wires installed all together. Fast foward to today, 800 miles later, I could NOT even think of starting my Brute without this this CDI installed.

There are others I ride with that have the Dyna, and it is NOT even close when it comes to acceleration. I've seen some with the Dyna miss, I've seen one with the Dyna catch on fire, I've seen the Dyna run fine (as good as the dyna can be for a product that is made generically to fit other models that do NOT have the same ignition components or timing curves as the BF 750).

Sorry that your VDI has not lived up to expectations BS, but if you'd like, I still have my gen 1 sitting on the shelf if you want to try it. Where do you live in NB? I'm just across the border from Perth.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts