Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize this is blasphemous since this is a KFX700 site. But I sold my V because I wanted to try something different. I'd like some input from you guys because I know several of you do or have owned several different ATVs.

First, I'm shopping for something used becuase I don't have that much to spend.

Right now I'm leaning toward the LT-Z400/KFX 400. But, I found a good deal on a 2004 YFZ450. I think I can live without reverse and it has an excellent stock suspension. The other option is a Raptor 660. Clean, unmolested used ones are plentiful - even easier to find than the Z400.

My main concern is how they put down the power. I ride about 50% trails and 50% dunes. I haven't ridden a manual shifted quad in the dunes. It seems like having lots of low-end torque would help keep from stalling when taking off from a stop. Plus, not being that accustomed to shifting, I'd rather have a broad powerband that doesn't require an awful lot of shifting.

So.. with all of that said.. how do these 3 compare? I really like the idea of the YFZ, but people keep telling me they're a lot more work to ride. I'm just not convinced yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
every thing you want is availible in a stoct KFX700!. That said, learn to shif a z/x 400 and change sprockets for the sand and you will prob. be happy. does not have the grunt of a 700 but adequate, 450 do not seem to get it done out of the box(on the sand). rode one at saint anthony last weekend. he rode mine and i rode his, he was off to get a 700). granted mine has elka front and rear. We both about 240# geared up.
Best wishes
Clark

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like the YFZ's but it's like riding a 2X4 compared to the 700 :nod: I have been having alot of fun on Z 400 it seem's to be a great bike so far

·
Registered
143 Posts
spent a lot of time on an 04 yfz at the track, and in the woods, i think it is a great ride, but i am a pretty agressive rider, and am still young, so i didn't notice the rough ride much. they are a great handling quad, and are very forgiving if you don't land just right. power is great. i have a predator, i know you aren't interested in them but they go cheap used, are just as reliable as the yamis 05 and up tld's have reverse, and they have better shocks stock. z400's are fun, like rpm said they won't dazzle you with power, but are a solid all around bike. they have plenty of juice to not have to worry when taking off in the sand, or anywhere else. good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the 700 is still the best option for you. :unibrow:

·
Registered
143 Posts
whats up dalejr don't like the pred? ever ridden one? i didn't like them either till i picked my 04 up in late 04 lightly used for 3k. it's no punk, and will run away from a stock bore V. the V is a great machine, just dosen't have very long legs. out of the hole the V gets me every time. IMHO you can't beat a used pred for the $ they cost.

·
0 Posts
you will be shifting the yfz constantly in the dunes if you are an aggressive rider...

it's a rev happy motor...

as in it ain't happy if it ain't revving...

hands down the raptor from your list. so much easier and more funners...

now if you were mxing well duh, yfz.

I like the kfx400 a lot too but the torque of the raptor and little longer gears is just a nice thing to have in the dunes.

P.S. the seat and riding position on the yfz sucks azz unless you are 5' 5"...

G

·
0 Posts
my buddy has an 05 pred and he loves it..it made the exact same rwhp as my vwith all the bolt on stuff and will out run my v on pavement..but in sand the torque monster v beats him by 2 to 3 bikes all day everyday lol. so they are great trail bikes..but i dunno about a duner.i'll say this for it too..they seem to be bullet proof too..haven't heard of anyone here having a problem with them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yeah 03 preds had tranny issues. polaris fixed it for 04 and up though. and you do sit pretty far fwd on them, but i guess i have just got used to it. i got about 200 hrs on my pred before it needed new rings and cam chain and tensioner. $250 in parts and i'm good to go. i ride the piss out of it too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, guys. I've pretty much settled on a Z400. The dunes I ride are nowhere near as big as the ones most of you guys ride, so maximum power isn't that big of a deal. Little Sahara in Oklahoma doesn't really have any good hills for racing, and my buddy's 400EX always served him well even when it was stock (and like all of us he hasn't been able to leave it that way. :p ).

I'm waiting for a call back from a guy with a super clean Z400 with cams, exhaust, DR-Z base gasket (higher compression) and a few other odds and ends. Will be able to pick it up for considerably less than $3,000.

I know two guys with Predators. I never have ridden one. I actually kind of like the seat just sitting on the bike, but maybe it's different when you actually ride. They don't have any mods and they hung really close with my piped V. The reason I didn't go for one is the size and weight. I wanted something lighter and less intimidating to jump and wheelie. You are right, though, nice ones go for stupid cheap prices considering how nice the stock suspension is.

Another plus for the Z400 (or Raptor) is parts availability. You can get anything you want and the prices are reasonable. Also, my flat track wheels have the Honda pattern, so they fit the Z400. :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think you will like the Z and like you said you can get part's anywhere and BBK kit's are cheap :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
glad you've got it narrowed down. oh the pred has the honda pattern on the rear from 04 and up, and 4/156 (yamaha?) fronts all years.

G

·
0 Posts
yea they do have the honda pattern on the rear...you should have seen my bud's with monkey's 24" extremes on back....looked like a top fuel dragster man

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here's what I got. Runs GOOD. I haven't ridden enough 400's to know how it stacks up, but I am plenty satisfied.

C

·
0 Posts
Nice Jay. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Does it have any mods? My neighbor kid has one and he jumps that thing so high my wife get's ready to call 911 when he launches.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has Hotcams, DR-Z base gasket (raises compression), HMF full exhaust and a Procom CDI. Oh, and of course the obligatory K&N filter.

It isn't perfect cosmetically, but the price was right and all the important stuff is in good shape.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It rained a lot.. and hard... so I only got to try it out between torrential downpours. I'm very pleased! Adapting to the manual transmission hasn't been as annoying as I feared it might be. First trip to the dunes is a week from this coming Sunday, so that will be the real test.

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Jay
It rained a lot.. and hard... so I only got to try it out between torrential downpours. I'm very pleased! Adapting to the manual transmission hasn't been as annoying as I feared it might be. First trip to the dunes is a week from this coming Sunday, so that will be the real test.
yeah agreed, the manual thing isn't a big deal... there will probably be "oh that was stupid" times missing a shift occasionally but it's kind of fun and definitely worth the weight difference.

plus extended swingarms are common and cheap.

not to mention every part known to mankind is make for 400/450's first then everything else later.

good luck!

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by RPM+--><div class='quotetop'>(RPM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-764
plus extended swingarms are common and cheap.
Have you checked into an extended swingarm for that Z450 yet? I think you are going to be in for a real shock. The guy that James and I were talking too at Florence with the Z450 had a 6" extended swingarm on it and it only cost him $1400. :eek:[/b]
:lol:

that dude got "JACKED UP"!

:lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SWINGARM-LT...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.customquadworks.com/contact.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts