Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found what I think may be a killer deal on a 31' Play-Mor bumper-pull toy hauler. My only concern is whether my vehicle can pull it safely. I have a 2001 Suburban 1500 with the 5300 small block.

The trailer is within the tow rating (pretty sure), but I wonder just how much this beast would struggle getting on the highway and up hills. Anybody with experience with a similar combo, please let me know.

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Jay
I've found what I think may be a killer deal on a 31' Play-Mor bumper-pull toy hauler. My only concern is whether my vehicle can pull it safely. I have a 2001 Suburban 1500 with the 5300 small block.

The trailer is within the tow rating (pretty sure), but I wonder just how much this beast would struggle getting on the highway and up hills. Anybody with experience with a similar combo, please let me know.
NO WAY!!!

Sorry to be so adamant, but it's not going to be:

a. safe
b. comfortable
c. good for the motor/trans (it will endlessly downshift and rev to the moon on hills)
d. safe

5.3 7,600 lbs. with the 3.08 gearing
5.3 8,600 lbs. with the 3.73 gearing

That trailer is probably 5-6000 lbs. dry! Plus quads plus water tank plus grey/black tanks plus gear plus food plus gas if it has a fillup station.

Listen to David: (LOL)
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/about-me.htm

Rule of thumb (me personally) never tow more than 2/3 of your max weight unless it's a VERY short distance with no hills and little traffic.

You better look at a different hauler or a diesel... :(

By the way we are in the same boat I have a silverado 00 with 4.8 and no way would I tow a hauler. We have to buy a diesel first which even bargain basement is 32k...

:shock:

R

·
0 Posts
I agree. I've been pulling trailers of all shapes and sizes for many years. And 764 is right. That size of trailer should DEFINITELY be pulled with a large displacement gas engine, or a turbo-diesel. The life of your drivetrain would, I'm afraid, be very short if you started reefin' this big trailer with that poor small block. :cry: And, RPM, The newer computerized turbo diesels shouldn't have much probs with the ULSD Fuel, as they've already been built for LSD, and have valves and rings already designed for the lower lubrication. It's mainly the older, Pre-LSD engines that, especially if worked very hard, could wear rapidly. Even then, there are relatively inexpensive additives you can dump in the fuel to counteract this.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Settle down, Dave. I ask the questions so that I don't go out and kill myself. It's OK. :p

Thanks for all the good info, guys. I've never towed anything bigger than my utility trailer, so I needed a frame of reference for how big is "too big". I was pretty sure the 31 is too big, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

It begs the question why Chevy gives it a tow rating of 8600 (I have 3.73 gears) if towing that much is going to kill it.

Anybody know where to get a good deal on a rebuilt GM 6.2L diesel? I have, well, let's just call it a project truck, that was given to me by my father-in-law. It's an 80-something 1-ton regular cab with a work bed. Perfect for pulling a 5th wheel.

If anybody is in the market for a 31' Play-Mor Motorsport, I know where you can buy a new, leftover 2005 model for $18,500.

F

·
0 Posts
I think something else to consider is where you are located. If you read, most of these guys posting are west coasters. They travel through mountainous regions, and Like Enigma said, that is where he struggles most.

I live in Ohio, and have moderate hills, but nothing rediculous. I have an 03 Durango with the 230HP 4.7 with 3.55 gearing. I used to pull my race car all over Ohio, and surrounding states with it. I had a tandem axle trailer that weighed around 1800 pounds, and the car was 3100 at the time. Factoring tools, and other gear, I would say I easily had 5500 pounds of cargo being towed.

I never had problems with this arrangement. It would downshift on the hills, but was never out of power. I usually just presed the button to shut off the overdrive before I would hit the hills, no big deal. This way, it wouldn't try to take overdrive, and constantly upshift/downshift. Traveling at 65-70 on the highway, I used to see around 13-14 MPG with it. If you are traveling on roads that are not packed full of mountainous areas, I would think you would be ok. I have seen an inline 6 in a ford F-150 flareside tow an 8400 pound enclosed trailer all over the US for one season because someone had to.

Biggest question for me would be how much of a compromise do you think you are making using the burban to tow every other weekend, versus paying for alot more truck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frequency of use is definitely a factor here. If I am LUCKY.. very lucky.. I'll get to use it about once a month. So, I'm not that worried about wearing out my tow vehicle. Hell, it has a lot of miles already.

I'm in Oklahoma. What we call a hill most of you would call flat. So far, I have never gone anywhere mountainous, but I suppose one day I might want to. However, perhaps by then I could get a more powerful tower.

My concern is strictly safety - Will it go, turn, and most importantly stop? Yes I know the trailer has brakes, but still..... Aside from stopping, I'm also concerned about being able to merge with freeway traffic. Fortunately, in this state we don't have much traffic, but getting on the highway can still be a bit nerve wracking.

Maybe HondaJohn will chime in. He's a friend of mine and used to tow a pretty big cargo trailer full of demo units for United Motors behind a Z71 with a 5300. With a weight distributing hitch he said it worked just fine. He put thousands of miles on that rig covering Oklahoma, Kansas and some parts of Texas. I don't know how big that trailer was, but it was pretty big.

·
0 Posts
Sorry for the soapbox Jay...

I'm glad people are thinking about stopping power these days instead of focusing on strictly engine power.

Sure a lot of rigs have the juice to get that load moving, but can they stop it going downhill? Panic stop in the flats? Power enough to merge safely? Etc, etc.

I guess the point is, think through the route you will be taking to your riding areas then consider the worst possible spot where you would have to panic stop. Could you do it safely? Sometimes the sheer mass and length of the tow vehicle becomes a factor.

And enigma has obviously thought this through talking about wind resistance (v-nose cargo's are awesome) and braking and corners.

rpm: "My new 06 F150 will tow 9100lbs and I am looking at nothing bigger than 23 to 24 feet MAX."

what's your total tow weight with 2 occupants, a full tank, gear in the truck, the trailer, gas if you have a fuel station, generator, black/grey/regular water tanks, 2 quads (about 1000 lbs alone for a v and kfx400), etc.

Geez there I go soapboxing again, sorry.

Dave

========================================
"

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Enigma
<snip>
In your viewing of these units how big do you have to go to fit 4 ATV's in??
fyi Artie can get 4 in his 31 foot raptor with about 1" of room to spare he said. That's the banshee, two 700r's and Joe's YFZ. So they are lined up (have to turn them sideways) from kitchen counter to rear door.

Nice hauler Roger. Decided against the Hobby? I like the grey vinyl (leather?) interior couches/bench seats in the extreme. That looks really comfortable and easy to clean.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cargo room is part of my dilemma. Starting out I'll only need to haul 2 adult ATVs. In a couple years I'll be adding two youth ATVs. I wonder how big I will need for to full-size and 2 youth? Found a nice 18' that I think will do the job.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw the Hobbi at an RV show awhile back. They did seem cheaply made and lacked cargo space compared to a hauler of comparable length. Would be good if you want something stylish in which to haul one or maybe two Harleys.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not true! If there's nothing wrong with the motor, it'll handle a little boost just fine. But, if you're already planning your next vehicle purchase, you'd probably want to hang onto the money for that.

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Enigma+--><div class='quotetop'>(Enigma)</div>
Originally posted by 764@
<!--QuoteBegin-Enigma

<snip>
In your viewing of these units how big do you have to go to fit 4 ATV's in??

fyi Artie can get 4 in his 31 foot raptor with about 1" of room to spare he said. That's the banshee, two 700r's and Joe's YFZ. So they are lined up (have to turn them sideways) from kitchen counter to rear door.

Nice hauler Roger. Decided against the Hobby? I like the grey vinyl (leather?) interior couches/bench seats in the extreme. That looks really comfortable and easy to clean.
Krikey !! Its going to be a long time till I get a toy hauler. I better get used to camping in the cargo trailer. Actually, it wasnt that bad and the kids got a kick out of it. It was a test run to see if we liked camping out of it then we are going bubba style and buying some innerspring mattresses for it instead of doing the cot thing.[/b]
yup. toy haulers as they get bigger don't seem to hold anymore, you just get more living/sitting areas. You could probably get 6 bikes in the back of Arties if you want to stand the damn things up. :shock:

I'm looking at making things *easier* as I get older... ie not having to turn every bike sideways in a hauler. ugh.

a cargo trailer may be our next step too... I can get a basic 30'+ long cargo for like 8k! drive all the bikes in and have a ton of room still.

decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Geoff why don't you just go the wider trailer then mine 20 footer then you could park them like in your's now in front of the wheel wells the single single that is what we were going to do but desided the 18 footer just because we really didn't need any bigger

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do you think a V nose could help that much we don't have any trouble with are's...I just hope we will be able to keep are's with the crap going on right now we will see never know it might end up forsale :(

·
0 Posts
"Where are you getting a 30' enclosed for 8k? Thats a great price ! "

www.internet-trailer.com grizzly for the square ones. snowmobile trailers for the v-nose models.

6 x 23 feet tandem 5200 pound axle v-nose with ramp = $5,868.26

8.5 x 30 feet tandem 5200 pound axles = $8,390.39

Best prices I've ever seen. You can customize them endlessly too but of course that get's spendy.

Anyway for what I hear people spending on 16' trailers you can get one of these and have money left.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate to bring this back from the grave but, I can get a killer deal on a 28 ft doolittle v nose enclosed and I also have a 01 suburban. I am guessing the trailer weighs around 3000 lbs empty... I am not sure. I also have the air ride set up on my surbuban. I know,. this is a huge trailer... but, for the price... I am really thinking about getting it... Any advice?

·
Registered
95 Posts
if there are no serious hills between you and your riding area then go for it.

also get a weight dist hitch, makes a huge difference.

H

·
0 Posts
I have a chev 1990 with six cylinder. Slow going over the mountains but it dose it in 1st and 2nd. I don,t have a rest room. But I got a portable shower from Cabela,s it works geat. The sun heats the water or I heat it up on stove.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts