Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to remove my rear head so I can look in the cylinder, I am putting things back together and I am at the point of installing my rear cam. The service manual does not state whether the rear cylinder should be up or down. It only says to rotate the crankshaft clockwise until TR mark in the inspection hole aligns with the indent in the cover.

Help!!

·
Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
The cam gear has two lines or grooves that run parallel with the top of the head but one position will be TDC on the compression stroke...which is right, the other is TDC on the exhaust stroke...which is wrong. On TDC of the compression stroke all cam ramps are off the rockers..ie not touching and on the TDC of the exhaust stroke they will be touching the rockers in fact, they will be holding the valve open a bit. We call that Overlap. Also remember that the cam chain's tensioner takes the slack out of the back side of the chain so push on it when conforming the lines are parallel. If the chains are old and stretched they won't be perfect as one tooth either way is too far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Just wasnt sure if it was suposse to set the timing marks on the compression or exhaust stroke.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts