Kawasaki Brute Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 Brute Force 750 4x4i EPS no lift kit.

I have rocky trails, more flat dirt trails I like to send it on, and the occasional 2ft of snow 2 months out of the year.

Was looking at the bighorns but was wondering if there's any better options for my ATV/terrain type.

Is 26" a good size? If so, seems like they don't carry them in a 12" rim (stock rims). Either I go with 25x10x12 rear, 25x8x12 fronts, or I get 14" beadlock wheels and throw 26" tires on. Or different tire...

What tires warrant clutch work?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
Quite frankly, IMO, most any other tire is better then Big Horns except in the wear department. They do last forever. Many will disagree I know. There are many tires out there now that do well in most every situation...some better then others. I suggest you do some research, pick three, review all the reviews you can find, then make a decision. 26" is the preferred size for trail riders and may I suggest if you are going to buy rims, go square and buy all the same...say a 7" and go with a 10" wide all the way around. I tried quite a few and settled on GBC's Grim Reapers. A solid 8-ply radial with great handling, forward traction and lateral grip. They were great in everything especially snow where it was almost like cheating they did so well for me. There weakness was that they are very directional. Forward was like drilling in with a cork screw but backing out of something was..well the opposite. There are lots of offerings out there now so take your time and do your homework.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite frankly, IMO, most any other tire is better then Big Horns except in the wear department. They do last forever. Many will disagree I know. There are many tires out there now that do well in most every situation...some better then others. I suggest you do some research, pick three, review all the reviews you can find, then make a decision. 26" is the preferred size for trail riders and may I suggest if you are going to buy rims, go square and buy all the same...say a 7" and go with a 10" wide all the way around. I tried quite a few and settled on GBC's Grim Reapers. A solid 8-ply radial with great handling, forward traction and lateral grip. They were great in everything especially snow where it was almost like cheating they did so well for me. There weakness was that they are very directional. Forward was like drilling in with a cork screw but backing out of something was..well the opposite. There are lots of offerings out there now so take your time and do your homework.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to:
1) GBC Grim Reapers
2) Kenda Bearclaw HTR < My pick.
3) Maxxis Bighorn 1.0

I think I'll go with the HTR's but before I do, why'd ya pick the Grim Reapers over the HTR's? Also, what's your opinion on wheel spacers? Might need them if I put 10" wide on the front, b/c of plow and winch mount.

Also I forgot to mention, I do on occasion ride on paved road at 50mph if that changes anything.

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
1) GBC Grim Reapers
3) Maxxis Bighorn 1.0

I think I'll go with the HTR's but before I do, why'd ya pick the Grim Reapers over the HTR's? Also, what's your opinion on wheel spacers? Might need them if I put 10" wide on the front, b/c of plow and winch mount.

Also I forgot to mention, I do on occasion ride on paved road at 50mph if that changes anything.
I first went with the Reapers because of the positive reviews and that someone I rode with had them and was at almost 4K miles was about to get a second set he liked them that much. The HTRs are also a great all around tire. Many use and trust them. Don't use spacers if you don't have to. Not only are they hard on bearings,ball joints and a-arm bushings, they are also an issue to fit on the newer Brutes. Do your spacing with the wheel offsets. The Brute can use: In a 7" wheel- 4+3 & 5+2. In an 8" wheel- 5+3 or 4+4. I think you might like the 5+2s best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I first went with the Reapers because of the positive reviews and that someone I rode with had them and was at almost 4K miles was about to get a second set he liked them that much. The HTRs are also a great all around tire. Many use and trust them. Don't use spacers if you don't have to. Not only are they hard on bearings,ball joints and a-arm bushings, they are also an issue to fit on the newer Brutes. Do your spacing with the wheel offsets. The Brute can use: In a 7" wheel- 4+3 & 5+2. In an 8" wheel- 5+3 or 4+4. I think you might like the 5+2s best.
Noted on wheel offset and wheel spacers. Thanks!

Also what is the stock wheel size? Tried looking here + service manual seems to agree that they're (12x6.0 & 12x7.5) yet here says (12x7 all around). Find it hard to believe stock wheel width is different as I'd imagine it could alter the height of the seated wheel, making front and rear tires different heights, thus affecting 4WD.

Also I've read that stock wheel offset is 5+2 front and 6+1 rear. If I can't make the wheel offsets any wider in the front then I definitely cannot make the front tires wider than 8" without wheel spacers. Just double checked, and as of right now, wider front wheels will definitely rub.

Currently, I can get a full set of Kenda Bearclaw HTR's for $480 after shipping and tax, but they're 25x10x12 & 25x8x12. I can get 26's (26x9x12 & 26x11x12) if I space the front out further with more negative offset or wheel spacers, but I'm assuming either will put a lot of stress on front end parts?

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
You can put 26x9s on front on stock wheels with no rubbing and 26x11s on back with no rubbing. The stock wheels only have around a 1.6" outset. You can get the info from the back side of the wheels and use any offset converter on the web to get the exact numbers. I can tell you from experience that you can put up to 26x11" tires on front with 5+3 wheels and it will not rub so anything smaller will not be a problem. Here- this is a set of 26x11x14s on a set of 8"wheels with 5+3 offsets all the way around. It was an arm and parts killer so I didn't run it over about 300 miles but it was do-able:

I liked the wheels so I kept them and mounted that set of Reapers on them- 26x9/11x14s. The 8" wheel was really too wide for the 9s but it worked fine.

The 5+3 did stick out so far that I needed the overfenders though. The 5+2 will too but not as bad. Sense you are getting different width tires you have no choice but to go with the different width wheels so can the idea of going square.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can put 26x9s on front on stock wheels with no rubbing and 26x11s on back with no rubbing. The stock wheels only have around a 1.6" outset. You can get the info from the back side of the wheels and use any offset converter on the web to get the exact numbers. I can tell you from experience that you can put up to 26x11" tires on front with 5+3 wheels and it will not rub so anything smaller will not be a problem. Here- this is a set of 26x11x14s on a set of 8"wheels with 5+3 offsets all the way around. It was an arm and parts killer so I didn't run it over about 300 miles but it was do-able:

I liked the wheels so I kept them and mounted that set of Reapers on them- 26x9/11x14s. The 8" wheel was really too wide for the 9s but it worked fine.

The 5+3 did stick out so far that I needed the overfenders though. The 5+2 will too but not as bad. Sense you are getting different width tires you have no choice but to go with the different width wheels so can the idea of going square.
Sorry, I forgot to clarify, the front will rub on my plow mount.

Should wheel width generally be the same amount narrower in the front as it is in the rear?

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,493 Posts
Not sure what you mean but a wider tire needs a wider wheel to maintain the same diameter. For example, in general, a wheel should be 2"s narrower then a tire to get the correct bead placement and protection..ie, an 8" tire needs a 6" wide wheel...a 10" tire needs an 8" wheel. Although people put 10-12" tires on 7 & 8" wheels all the time. Some of it isn't right but...whatchagonado. :)

Can't help with the plow mount. I never had that issue with my Bear plow and most others don't with theirs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ITP mud lite 2s on mine and I've had them on for almost 3,000 miles and they have ridden on almost every kind of terrain you can think of they are six ply tire they are super durable yes they do not have a beadlock to them but they are a great tire. They are the stock size at 25 in they are heavy tire but they definitely do the job I have not had any CV axle or wheel bearing issues or clutch issues from them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1) GBC Grim Reapers
3) Maxxis Bighorn 1.0

Out of those three tires I would go with the Bearclaw HTR, I have the Bighorns on mine and I do like them and you can probably get 4 to 5000 miles out of a set, but when I decide to buy new tires I will buying the Bearclaws HTR's. Both of my friends that I drive with now have them, and both are very happy with them and the way they perform. They seem to be a very good tire and look like they will also last a long time, and they are 8ply so that should help a lot on not getting flats. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts