Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 brute force 750. I'm getting the fast 2wd 4wd flash so I got a new actuator. First question, is the front and rear actuator the same and compatible? Also, I have replaced it and I still have the flashing. I have the actuator pulled out and watching how it moves. Sometimes it'll move around and other times it won't. It'll move back and forth and look like it found it's position. But I can't switch between 4wd and 2wd. I'm assuming it will go into it's 2wd positive, if I put it into 4wd, it should spin and then stop about 180 degrees off, and then say 4wd. Can I test it outside the transmission or is there another sensor inside the transmission? I'm not sure what else could be the problem. I did the bus connector mod so that isn't an issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
How it flashed tells you what's wrong. It can be either actuator or the system itself. The two are different and the controller won't allow the 4wd actuator to work without input from the speed sensor...at least 2mph. This might help but you really need the full service manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through the manual and checked all the resistances and voltages and everything is fine. I'm still getting a flash flash saying it's the front actuator. Could it be the controller unit? I just ordered one so we'll try that next

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Pull it and inspect the coupler parts..ie the pin, block and slide for wear or damage or being hard to operate. If the unit can't complete the movement or is too hard to move, it will fail and give an error. You can also test it but you will have to have all four wheels off the ground, running, in gear and speedo showig at least 2mph...with the unit hanging there plugged-in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the actuator completely out of the quad, there is nothing that is resisting movement and it's giving me the error. And I can get a tool in there and manually shift it into 4wd, I just need the actuator to work so it stops flashing on the screen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The actuator isn't hard to move, it moves it just fine. It'll go back and forth sometimes when it turns on and off. And I already tried to use a new actuator. Replaced the control box and still won't work. I'll try it with the wheels spinning to see if it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speed sensor should not be a problem because this is a brand new sensor. I drove it around and I still get the fashing 2wd 4wd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I went through and checked all the resistances and voltages that the manual says to check. It's weird because sometimes when I turn it on or off, the actuator will spin back and forth and try to find itself then just give me the flashing

51 Posts
Hey Alex! This is a very common issue with the Brutes, I hope you are able to get it fixed. If you want to get something that is fail safe and will never let you down check out our manual 4wd conversion kits! Let me know if you have any questions about them: Kawasaki Brute Force - Prairie Products

·
Registered
1 Posts
I myself like the idea of the manual 2W 4W system. Simple. But Expensive. I would like to know if there is a way to check it the Ignition Control Unit (ICU) part# 21175-0935 ($455.00 OUCH!)? I am having issues too. 2W light is on. And 2W works. If I unplug the 2W actuator and run a small elect cable form the battery to the unit un-plugged plug touching red to red and black to black the motor spins. So that works. If put a voltage meter on the open plug from the battery and touch the red to red and black to black with the key on I get nothing, "0". Was hoping for 12.5 volts. So I am not getting power. I tried the same thing after unplugging the 2d switch that changes the 2W to 4D near the throttle on the handle bar. Any idea's on how to check the ICU?

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
I myself like the idea of the manual 2W 4W system. Simple. But Expensive. I would like to know if there is a way to check it the Ignition Control Unit (ICU) part# 21175-0935 ($455.00 OUCH!)? I am having issues too. 2W light is on. And 2W works. If I unplug the 2W actuator and run a small elect cable form the battery to the unit un-plugged plug touching red to red and black to black the motor spins. So that works. If put a voltage meter on the open plug from the battery and touch the red to red and black to black with the key on I get nothing, "0". Was hoping for 12.5 volts. So I am not getting power. I tried the same thing after unplugging the 2d switch that changes the 2W to 4D near the throttle on the handle bar. Any idea's on how to check the ICU?
The manual has some info on testing. The Actuator Control Unit...aka "CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRON" operates both the actuators, engine brake and 2/4wd. Both require several condition to be met however one is that it detects a signal from the speed sensor...and if the machine is not moving above 2mph, nothing will happen. One other is that both units have to show operable status and if not control power is cut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts