Kawasaki Brute Forum banner

BF 750 Left Leg Heat Issues Fixed!

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Lionsbluewhite 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Prarie 650, and a 2021 BF 750, and I noticed the 650 does not have the high heat problem on the left leg like the BF 750? I observed that they used a "Deflector" on the Prairie 650, and they used it up to 2013 on the BF 650's? Well I first tried fitting it on the BF 750 (Not Happening) so I made one and it works great!
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Product
Watercraft Sky Hood Boat Naval architecture
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

See less See more
#10 ·
I used 3/4" x 1/16" for most of it, and 1"x 1/16" piece on the rear (Aluminum angle) that I got at Tractor Supply , Mounted to the underside lip of the BF 750 with 10-24 x 3/4" machine screws with lock nuts and washers (Stainless Steel or Zinc Plated) The Plastic is 3/16" thick that I cut from some Truck Mud Flaps that I had (Any Plastic will work) I made a Card board Template before cutting the Plastic! Take your time and do a good job!

#15 · (Edited)
I went ahead and decided to give this heat issue a try. I couldn't find the material I needed in the short time I was home, as I did a quick round trip to retrieve my ordered Elka Stage 3 shocks that came in earlier than I was expecting, and I am out of State with the Brute.
I went ahead and installed 2 carbon fiber heat shields on the front Brute Header exhaust pipe (Wow, those aren't cheap in cost) and also decided to add some additional heat management on my left leg,
I tested it a little yesterday by crawling up a steep rocky section trail in 4x4L and it worked fine but I need more testing to see if my heat blocker will do the trick or not. I don't want to block off too much of this area, concerned with the heat that is generated in that area. Kawasaki's heat shield that is bolted onto the front header pipe is a joke, I think it is more to protect the side plastic from melting.
I used 1/2" wide aluminum angle bolted to the lip on the left plastics, self-tapping metal screws painted black, thin piece of sheet metal with heat tape applied to the outside of the sheet metal, rubber section cut to fit onto the sheet metal, it too heat taped, and another rubber section (heat taped too) attached to the other rubber piece. If I have issues with the rubber melting because of the heat, is
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
the reason I used the self-tapping screws, I can take the entire piece off with a Phillips screwdriver at the 2 top screws.

#18 ·
Have done few more rides with this mod, results: This homemade heat guard does work, also the 2 carbon fiber heat guards I installed. The left plastics are extra warm to touch with your bare hand after a long 4x4L steep climb but only towards the rear section of the side plastic and only where I don't have a carbon fiber guard mounted on the front header pipe. Probably will add another carbon fiber heat guard on the exhaust header pipe towards the rear section of the left side plastic. Before I installed the 2 carbon fiber header heat guards you could Not put your bare hand on the left side plastic as it was way to Hot after a slow going steep climb.
The homemade heat guard mod is only slightly warm to the touch with Zero Hot Heat on my left leg-a winner for sure.

#19 ·
Excellent! I was just out yesterday Rock Crawling in the hills of CT and I was wearing shorts, no more heat on the left leg, no overheating issues! FYI: All I used was a 1/4" piece of Plastic from a Truck Mud Flap without any of The Expensive Carbon Fiber, Sheet metal, and Heat Tape that you mention. So let's keep it simple and inexpensive for all!

#20 ·
So!
I'm pleased with my decisions to control the heat issue. I already had the sheet metal, high temp tape but not the mud flap. Lowe's had the rubber I needed at $2.99 for a 6 ft x5" wide section.
Most of this heat is coming from the radiator anyway as the low speeds the radiator heat being blasted rearward from the fan pushes it to your left leg, you only feel it at the lower speeds, going down a trail at a regular speed you don't feel the heat that much. When Direction2 came out with their Overfenders they included a thick guard that went inbetween the left inner fender and the front header pipe. I had it on my 2012 Brute and I didn't have the heat issue at low speeds, but Kawasaki changed the front header pipe and the directional2 heat shield doesn't fit anymore, I believe starting with the 2015 BF750.
Kawasaki has a good amount of heat shielding on the left side plastic's as I'm sure you noticed, mainly because of the front header piping along that section of the side plastic. By adding the carbon fiber heat guards, I have reduced the heat all along the top portion of the left side plastic, so much you can place your bare hand on this section after a slow steep climb with no heat issue on the plastic or your hand, so heck Yea, I am pleased with the money I spent on the carbon-fiber heat guards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.